Stop Expecting From Others

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations
and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
―Bruce Lee

When you expect a lot from people, you tend to become bitter, unhappy, and unmotivated to better your own life. You become stressed and unwell. Once you expect less, when less comes your way, it feels like so much more. I think we live in a culture where people are so wrapped up in their own world views that they expect everything to go how they want or need, that everyone should fit their plan and fall in line for what they want their life experience to be. People often forget that we are individuals today. We all have desires, ambitions, likes, dislikes, and different ways of thinking. When you expect everyone to be the same or label them as such, how do you think that then makes you feel when you realize people are different from you?

Thought this was an interesting read.

These are 7 things you should stop expecting from others:

1. Stop expecting them to agree with you.
2. Stop expecting them to respect you more than you respect yourself.
3. Stop expecting (and needing) them to like you.
4. Stop expecting them to fit your idea of who they are.
5. Stop expecting them to know what you’re thinking.
6. Stop expecting them to suddenly change.
7. Stop expecting them to be “OK.”

Here is the full article: 7 Things You Should Stop Expecting from Others

Our differences actually bring us closer together (they help us learn and grow) when we aren't so fixating on expecting people to be a certain way or expecting certain things of others.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
When you expect a lot from people, you tend to become bitter, unhappy, and unmotivated to better your own life. You become stressed and unwell. Once you expect less, when less comes your way, it feels like so much more. I think we live in a culture where people are so wrapped up in their own world views that they expect everything to go how they want or need, that everyone should fit their plan and fall in line for what they want their life experience to be. People often forget that we are individuals today. We all have desires, ambitions, likes, dislikes, and different ways of thinking. When you expect everyone to be the same or label them as such, how do you think that then makes you feel when you realize people are different from you?
People expect a lot from people because it was the way they were thought in a sense for they were never thought some people will disagree with you, some will agree, and some will just be asses who think their view is right and yours is wrong no matter what. We do live in a culture where people are wrapped up in their own worldviews because that is how some if not most get through day by day because it brings them comfort in a matter of speaking. Also, some may think this way because of the way they were brought up or a mental illness like OCD, for example, I expect everyone to set a table for dinner a certain way or even have their drink on the right side of a table with the silverware being a couple of inches away. It bugs me because I do see it as my way is the right way, but I have learned to live with it in a sense. Individuality, to me at least, is slowly dying nowadays thanks to the sheep/drone mentality that is popular because we go against the crowd when you can be part of one, you know, but for the few Individuals out there still, I have no problem with them doing or seeing things different from me, as long as it isn't an extreme view. How does it make me feel? It doesn't really make me feel anything because I have learned to accept the fact that no one will agree with me, to some extent, or do something like how I want it, to some extent, 100% all the time, and that is okay because that is how we move forward as a person or a society or make friends or whatever else.

These are 7 things you should stop expecting from others:

1. Stop expecting them to agree with you.
2. Stop expecting them to respect you more than you respect yourself.
3. Stop expecting (and needing) them to like you.
4. Stop expecting them to fit your idea of who they are.
6. Stop expecting them to suddenly change.
7. Stop expecting them to be “OK.”
1) I agree and disagree with this at the same time. I do agree that you shouldn't expect people to agree with you, but also at the same time if you say something that is true in a matter of speaking, and they disagree then they obviously need help, are high of themselves, or some edgy person who wants to be "deep"

2) I agree with this fully and have no comments

3) I agree fully once again, but they can feel like due to being from a broken home or whatever and want to be liked and accepted to fill a hole that is empty, you know. I use to always want people to like me, but after awhile I realized I would have a few people who like me for me then be liked my a bunch who like me for someone I ain't.

4) I agree once again fully, but I think this is a culture/society issue really that cause this type of thinking. Also, I am sure most kids have said this thing to their parents once before.

5) Yeah, I just agree with this because I have had this happen to me way too many times, lol.

6) That is the best relationship advice ever, lol. In all seriousness, I do agree you can't make someone change overnight for it is a long and drawn out process.

7) Agreed

Reactions: Solid Snake

Redboy123@

Reaction score
In a professional sense if you don't live up to expectations then your ass is going to get fired if your boss notices

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
In a professional sense if you don't live up to expectations then your ass is going to get fired if your boss notices
This is day to day life and socialization with people, if you base it on work...
Well yeah, if you are a boss and you are expecting your employees to show up and work and they don't, you'd fire them.
:shovel:

Redboy123@

Reaction score
This is day to day life and socialization with people, if you base it on work...
Well yeah, if you are a boss and you are expecting your employees to show up and work and they don't, you'd fire them.
:shovel:
Well in the social sense you can't expect people will be the way you want them to be, unless you are really good at influencing them or even manipulating them.

If you want to get with your crush but you don't meet their expectations. Then unfortunately you will not get with them. That's just life. Nothing you can do but try and live up to their expectations or change their expectations.

Everybody wants to impress people. Then you have people who are under pressure to meet expectations. I just think it's apart of life. But I suppose this is more about people think they are the centre of the universe expecting stuff from people. That's not gonna happen unless you are really rich or attractive.

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score
Well now you said this, I shall expect everything from everyone.

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Individuality, to me at least, is slowly dying nowadays thanks to the sheep/drone mentality that is popular because we go against the crowd when you can be part of one, you know, but for the few Individuals out there still, I have no problem with them doing or seeing things different from me, as long as it isn't an extreme view.
Humans are social creatures. We'll always be influenced by those around us into thinking or behaving in certain ways.

It's perfectly acceptable to expect that at times. Body language is a magical thing.