Stars

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kaedon

Reaction score
Something I have been thinking about for a while are the big stars of the WWEs past and present. Can stars be manufactured or do they have to develop genuinely? I am of the belief that a star, a real star, can't just be made and that he, or she, has to develop organically. Thoughts?

Soulpower

A bit of both, to be honest. The wrestler has to develop some personality, one that eventually connects with the fans. But at the same time, its up to the higher-ups to take notice of a wrestler and that connection and push him as a star.

Look at guys like The Rock or Austin. They were as you say, developed genuinely, but if Vince would have ignored this, Rock and Austin might not have gotten as big as they did.

So again, its a bit of both.. Also, GO GIANTS! >_>

Kaedon

Reaction score
You honestly think Ken Kennedy is on the same level as Austin, Rock, and Hogan?

The Rated R CMStar

Stars can be created both ways, made by writters and booking or by themselves with their own talent.

Take Brock Lesnar, he was made by booking and writting. He was billed and pushed so fast and so hard he was turn into a major star in just one year. Also Lashley, he was made into a star, either we like it or not, by hard pushing and booking favoring him. By time he got injured, he was a big time player in WWE.

The real question might be, which stars are better or more longlasting, the created ones or the ones that were made organically? See the difference, The Rock or Brock Lesnar? Bobby Lashley or Stone Cold?

Kaedon

Reaction score
I guess star is too general of a term, im talking Rock and Austin stars. HHH and Hogan stars, Kennedy is at least 5 years away from that.

kingovkings

Reaction score
I wouldn't class kennedy as a star he has got star potential but he aint there yet,id class the like sof HBK taker austin rock hogan as stars organic ones at that. but yeah there is sum that become stars by the way they are booked, like the likes of lesnar. but as for the HHH comments that he is a star from the way he is booked nah thats shite he is also organically grown star IMO. He worked his ass off from the start and even more so From the time HHH got punished for the stunt they pulled when nash and hall left. But he and the others i have mentioned had the natural abilty to become stars.

Reaction score
Writers and the wrestlers themselves put an idea out in front of cameras. It's the people who ultimately decide the fate of a star. If HHH came out tomorrow to dead silence, he may not last another year. Conversely, the Spirit Squad debuted to nothing and even during the DX feud they were just comedic fodder and then they were dumped. The fans decide, every time.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

it is a mix. taker got over because of writers and look how long he has lasted. you cant say his personality connected with the crowd

Airfixx

His personality specifically, no, but his character/gimmick?

Absolutely.

By the time he faced Hogan he was already getting cheered in what were relatively 'smark'-free days where heels never got cheers and face V face was ultra rare. Bodybagging opponents, Paul Bearer and the antics on the funeral parlour all played a part.

CenaMark54

Take Kennedy as an example he made himself a star.

Kennedy is not a star, nor is he a self made one. The WWE pushed the hell out of him on SD, once he got to Raw and he was basically on his own, he flopped.

Most of the industries biggest stars are stars because they had a quality the fans liked about them. This is a combination of natural abilty, hard work, timing, gimmick, storyline, and company push.

You can give a no talent hack a decent push and he won't become a star based on that gimmick/push along. They need a certain factor that sets them apart and makes the fans care about them.

I will use the Rock as an example. He was given a generic rookie face gimmick. The crowd wanted to kill him. He didn't get the correct reaction, but the fans cared so much they gave him a huge reaction. the WWE changed his gimmick, turned him heel and a star was born.

Then there is poor Cody Rhodes. Same gimmick as the Rock. Comes out to nothing. The crowd doesn't care about him.

The Rock had an innate quality that made him great, but without the proper push he wouldn't be able to take advantage of that quality. The WWE has the responsibilty of recognizing when someone has talent.

Kaedon

Reaction score
it is a mix. taker got over because of writers and look how long he has lasted. you cant say his personality connected with the crowd

So you think that anyone could have played Taker and it would have gotten over? Are you kidding me? You cant just stick ANYONE into a character and MAKE it work. That has been proven OVER and OVER and OVER again with wrestlers who tried gimmicks that didnt work because they couldnt feel it. Please tell me what the "writers" did for Taker? They put him in squash matches and gave him Paul Bearer. He did the rest on his own. Just because you are booked to win doesn't mean you are going to get over. Lex Luger, Rocky Miavia, Snitsky, and HUNDREDS more were pushed to win and they didnt get over for shit. You have to have the right PERSON playing the right CHARACTER at the right TIME.

smark101.

Reaction score
it's all about mic skills in wwe... if you got mic skills and a few flashy moves, you can be a star no doubt... IN WWE.

in a place like TNA though... you become a star gradually. until proving yourself worthy of stardome.

csi24/3:16

Reaction score
^^Dusty Rhodes, Stone Cold, and The Rock were all examples of mic skills being nothing but beneficial for your career. But I believe that being a star requires you to be able to sell your opponents moves with such passion. Just like whenever Stone Cold and Rock fought, they would each sell each others moves without a hitch. And of course the creative team has to help too