Sonny Kiss comments on AEW departure

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
sonnystate.webp

Sonny Kiss is ready to start a new chapter after departing AEW.

Kiss was recently removed from the roster page on AEW's website. While speaking to the media after All Out earlier this month, Tony Khan confirmed that he chose not to renew Kiss' contract. Khan said he really likes Kiss, but with such a big roster it's hard to get everyone spots on television.

Kiss posted a statement on Sunday reflecting on the four years she spent with AEW. Kiss, who is genderfluid, wrote that she showed people like her that anything is possible when you work your ass off for it.

"Sometimes you have to fall all the way down to reignite that fiery passion again," Kiss wrote. "So, now what? I'm the Concrete Rose, Sonny Kiss and I am a free agent. I am SO ready for this next chapter. Let's continue to break those barriers down, shatter those glass ceilings, and make $h*t happen! Where to next?"

The full statement is available below:

4 years of living my dream, traveling, making everlasting friendships, working with my childhood heroes, growing into the human I've become right before everyone's eyes, and of course, being part of some historical events with groundbreaking wrestling promotion: All Elite Wrestling (AEW). I have made quite a few mistakes along the way. But I also have learned some valuable lessons, too. I am incredibly grateful for it all. In December, I'll be 30 years old with 10 years of wrestling under my belt. The fun part is: I haven't nearly touched the surface of what I am capable of.
I knew my journey in pro wrestling would not be an easy one, regardless of my talents. The best part of it all is that I showed people like me that anything is possible when you're working your ass off for it. It may not come easy, but it WILL come. Sometimes you have to fall all the way down to reignite that fiery passion again. So, now what? I'm the Concrete Rose, Sonny Kiss and I am a free agent. I am SO ready for this next chapter. Let's continue to break those barriers down, shatter those glass ceilings, and make $h!t happen! Where to next?
XO,
Sonny
Kiss was part of the original AEW roster when the promotion launched in 2019. While addressing not renewing Kiss' contract, Khan pointed to the loss of AEW Dark and Dark: Elevation as a reason for the decision. It was confirmed in May that both editions of Dark were done for the time being due to an exclusivity clause between AEW and Warner Bros. Discovery.

Khan left the door open for Kiss to potentially return to AEW in the future:

Sonny and a number of people who are not necessarily with AEW anymore, we’ll keep an eye on them and certainly I’d be open to bringing them back if something opens up, if I get an idea for a story or if anybody has an idea that I like for a story that I would do or if they get really hot and I get interested.

Rosie

Neo Genesis
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Kick some ass, Sonny.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Sonny Kiss says she was shocked to learn her AEW contract was not being renewed.

The 29-year-old had been with the company since its inception in 2019 until her deal expired recently. Tony Khan addressed not renewing Kiss' contract at the All Out media scrum, citing AEW's large roster as the reason. However, Khan also said she could be brought back in the future.

"It's like a heartbreak, it's been a little rough because this is everything I've ever wanted to do," Kiss said during an appearance on Busted Open Radio on Wednesday. "I worked tirelessly for this not to happen."

Kiss says she was notified in late August that her contract was not being renewed.

"When I got the call, I was shocked," she said.

Kiss says anytime she was booked for television she took advantage of having the opportunity to train with Dustin Rhodes and develop as a wrestler. She would ask to be sent to television tapings even when not booked simply so she could work with him.

"Every single time I got sent to TV, I was there hours before doors opened. I worked my ass off every single week to make sure that this didn't happen. So, it's heartbreaking, 100 percent."

"I would beg sometimes to go to TV. 'Can I go just to train with Dustin, please?'"

Kiss keeps an active schedule on the independents, including wrestling at GCW Effy's Big Gay Brunch 7 earlier this month. She plans to work as much as she can now that she's a free agent.

"Obviously, I'm a free agent. I'm just going to work as many indies as I can," she said. "We'll see what happens.

As talk regarding Kiss' future continued, co-host Tommy Dreamer, who works backstage for Impact Wrestling, suggested Kiss text him after the show.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles