Sonnen Blasts 'Prima Donna' Fighters For Being Ungrateful

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
It is not something you hear often from a fighter, especially one at UFC level, but Sonnen has his reasons. He told MMA:30 that they stem from his early days trying to break into the sport. He says he will consider his career a waste of time if he can’t capture the middleweight title.

“One night. One moment. Twelve pounds of gold… This will all be a colossal failure if I don't have that one night. I haven't had too many dark moments, but I'll tell you, in the beginning, trying to break in [to the sport] was so hard,â€￾ he said.

Sonnen related a story from his early days in the fight game, where he was called up at short notice to fly across the US and fight Jeremy Horn, who at the time was beating all comers and was 69-12-4 to Sonnen’s 12-5-1 (Sonnen fought 19 fights from early 2002 to the end of 2004).

Having been promised a UFC contract if he won the fight - which meant some proper money - Sonnen ended up losing by first round TKO. A few months later they rematches and Horn submitted him. It took Sonnen another year to earn his first UFC call-up and then four years to get back in after he was dropped.

So his position on demanding fighters makes sense.

“I don't know if those are dark moments, but those are some of the things that I remember. I look at today's athletes and sometimes I see them being prima donnas, or not wanting to do certain things, being ungrateful or complaining about their pay as they pull up in a new Ferrari and I think you guys don't know what it's like,â€￾ he explains.

“This [UFC organization] was a very risky business venture that a couple of crazy guys, who risked everything to make, and you're not owed this industry. [Fighters] should be a little more grateful.â€￾

See he can have and interview without trashing other people/countries. Chael is a smart guy in and out of the octagon, love the part where he says if he doesn't win the middleweight title his career will be a waste of time, so much passion to be the best.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
A proper talking Chael. Made some good points. Should talk like this more often :p

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
A proper talking Chael. Made some good points. Should talk like this more often :p

I agree. I didn't know that he had it in him but when he isn't calling out other fighters he makes a lot of sense. I like how passionate he is about the title and fighting and it makes me like the guy more after reading this.