Smackdown is like a half eaten onion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Just like an ogre, this complex Shane-KO-Sami-Dbry-Orton-Nakamura-AJ-Santino-Heidenrich storyline that has manifested on Smackdown Live over the past few months has many layers. However, that doesn't mean its been entertaining.

It's no secret that Smackdown has been piss poor compared to Raw since the superstar shakeup. I wouldn't put all the blame on this storyline, but its no coincidence. Instead of focusing on the very talented Smackdown roster, WWE has been too busy pointing the cameras at a Mcmahon who is shite at his job. Land of Opportunity? Bullshit.

On paper, I do think that this storyline is very well developed with many layers. It's just that everyone involved is unlikable. I don't know who to root for. Should I root for the Yep movement to overcome the authority? But they are clearly delusional under the infulence of their arrogance. Should I cheer for Shane who has been terrorised by KO and Sami? But how can I? He is a massive hypocrite. Everybody in this mess is guilty of something, which makes it very confusing and frustrating for the viewer.

So let's try and make sense of this all...

Uncle Shane and the American Dream

I like to think that before all of this happened, Shane was a pretty good commissioner. He was everything he was set out to be (basically the opposite to his sister). Shane and Bryan built Smackdown as the "Land of Opportunities", a place that creates new stars and stories. As a result, Smackdown eclipsed Raw in all of our hearts. However, Shane lost sight of things. Shane has delusionally become the opposite of what he returned to be.

Shane's feud, before Owens, was AJ Styles. AJ had the same beef with Shane that KO has now. The difference is, AJ was wrong to have that beef. I believe that Kevin Owens problem with Shane is justified.

Kevin Owens entered into the "Land of Opportunity" as the United States Champion. This was the opportunity for Owens to reinvent himself as the "Face of America" at the top of Smackdown Live. As we know, this failed miserably. Shane inevitably costs KO the title at Summerslam. Owens sees Shane as a hypocrite who wants the show to be all about him. Ultimately this leads to Owens savagely beating up a 72-year-old Vince Mcmahon.

"People like me go to Heaven"

KO's character is an insecure smarky fat guy who's main priority is to win and provide for his family. He's a piece of shit that betrays his best friends to get to the top. Whats sad about all of this is that he was probably bullied when he was a kid. This is the reason why he acts the way he is, and why he is an amazing wrestling character. However, the most interesting aspect of his character is that he is capable of doing some very violent shit. This guy is a psychopath that shows zero remorse for his actions. Kevin uses violence to hide from his insecurities.

Sami Zayn, on the other hand, is the opposite. Zayn is all about getting to the top the right way. He's all about determination, honour and proving people wrong. But where has that got Sami? Absolutely nothing. Meanwhile, Kevin Owens has been a huge success through repeatedly doing bad things. Zayn understands that Shane McMahons "Land of Opportunity" is a sham. Zayn feels he has to be like his former best friend. This, of course, leads to that great mommet at HIAC.

I find it very interesting that as time goes by, Sami has become more and more like KO. Zayn may go on to be more KO then the actual KO.

The Kevin Owens Show.

After HIAC, this feud completely stops dead in its tracks. This is because they had to drop all feuds for Raw v Smackdown at Survivor Series. However, I think this benefited the overall story. Owens is proven right by Shane making himself the captain of SDL (which was originally Orton) and takes an opportunity away from the roster by taking up one of the spots on Team Smackdown. KO and Sami weren't even on the Survivor Series card. It came to no surprise that they went on to screw Team Smackdown (even though they had minimal effect on the matches finish).

This makes the hardest man in WWE ever (Shane Mcmahon) angry. In fact, the entire Smackdown roster is 'angry'. This progresses the story a lot. Even though the execution from WWE was very poor. But anyway, this sets up Shane using his power to put KO and Samis jobs on the line. Or is he abusing his power?

The Yep Movement

This is where Daniel Bryan comes in. Daniel sympathises with KO and Sami. He feels that Shane has gone too far in putting their lively hoods on the line, therefore he uses his power to give KO and Sami a fighting chance. Naturally, this created conflict between the two authority figures.

And about that... Isn't it weird that Dbry is an authority figure? He has become the thing that he has fought against in his career. Well according to KO and Sami that is. Now the Yes movement is now the delusional Yep movement. Maybe this is why Daniel decides to help out KO and Sami. To not be seen as the corporate yes man to a Mcmahon. This creates even bigger conflict between Shane and Bryan as Shane thinks Bryan is continuing he's in-ring career vicariously through the Yep movement. And Bryan thinks that Shane is becoming more like his father. KO and Sami are pulling the strings that lead to them being in a 2 on one match for the WWE championship. WOW, Sami Zayn in the main event, who would have thought?

Fight Forever!

Daniel Bryan isn't an idiot. He's the one who has been pulling the strings. On the surface, it may seem that Bryan has either lost his mind or is truly biased towards the Yep movement by booking the handicap match at the Rumble. But in fact, Dbry booked the match to create dissension between the two. Why didn't you think of that Shane? Who is the one person in the world who would screw his best friend in order to main event Wrestlemania? Yep, that's right...Kevin Owens.

Bryan's intention was too split up KO and Sami and to outshine Shane Mcmahon. And that is what happened. At Fastlane KO and Sami were fighting each other over an opportunity to main event WrestleMania. Bryan handed the Yep movement an opportunity in order to split them up.

This would have of worked if it wasn't for Shane getting involved once again. KO and Sami do not blame each other anymore, they blame Shane. Was this Bryan plan all along? So that he could have the full power of Smackdown Live? Now Vince Mcmahon's son is currently in a hospital bed (well probably not...that guy is indestructible after all) thinking about how much he wants to put his hands on Zayn and KO. But is Daniel Bryan the man who he should be wanting to put his hands on?

Wrestlemania

When I look closer into this feud, the more I think its fucking great. It is too bad that it has ultimately had a negative effect on the rest of the show. Guys like AJ, Orton and Shinsuke have all been made to be afterthoughts. And that is why I think most people dislike this feud.

But for me. I am really into this story and I am interested in what Bryan has to say on Tuesday and what is going to happen at Mania. I also think this is the most developed story in WWE at the moment. Its like Breaking Bad or somthing... I may be looking into this far too deeply tho.

What do you guys think of the story so far and what is going to happen at Mania? KO and Sami v Shane and Bryan...maybe?

Last edited:

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score
That thread title is one of the GOATS

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I never like Shane storylines, his matches are okay and have memorable moments and such but wastes a proper talent's time. KO and Sami could do much more than going up against Shane.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
I never like Shane storylines, his matches are okay and have memorable moments and such but wastes a proper talent's time. KO and Sami could do much more than going up against Shane.
I think both and Kevin and Sami have flourished because of this feud. Especially Sami. Before all this, Sami was Dolph Ziggler. No one wants that.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I think both and Kevin and Sami have flourished because of this feud. Especially Sami. Before all this, Sami was Dolph Ziggler. No one wants that.
That's because they refused to book him as a credible face. I like this pairing but just sick of Shane willing himself into a WM match again.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
That's because they refused to book him as a credible face. I like this pairing but just sick of Shane willing himself into a WM match again.
Better then Kami being in the battle royal. I think its kinda part of the story. Shane taking an opportunity a way from the actual roster.

In the magical world of kayfabe. Why is Shane allowed to compete but not Bryan. Surely Shane is more likely to get seriously injured doing a crazy stunt. If I was Bryan I would be jealous (in kayfabe) That's a very interesting dynamic.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Better then Kami being in the battle royal. I think its kinda part of the story. Shane taking an opportunity a way from the actual roster.w

In the magical world of kayfabe. Why is Shane allowed to compete but not Bryan. Surely Shane is more likely to get seriously injured doing a crazy stunt. If I was Bryan I would be jealous (in kayfabe) That's a very interesting dynamic.
They could do more than the battle royale, like having KO and Sami in the tag division would do more than this Shane feud.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
They could do more than the battle royale, like having KO and Sami in the tag division would do more than this Shane feud.
I disagree, this storyline is enriched with character development. Kevin and Sámi's characters have developed and advanced. Now they are in a marque match at Mania. I think they are pretty stocked. Sami Zayn challenged for the world title at a big 4 show because of this feud.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I disagree, this storyline is enriched with character development. Kevin and Sámi's characters have developed and advanced. Now they are in a marque match at Mania. I think they are pretty stocked. Sami Zayn challenged for the world title at a big 4 show because of this feud.
Then its simply a case to agree to disagree because to me this is and always will be a waste of the talent's time whenever they face Shane who has no business in being in a WM match when people that are actually talented will be kept off of it due to time constraints. Marquee imo is a bit too generous when describing a McMahon match. But like I said, each to his own.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Then its simply a case to agree to disagree because to me this is and always will be a waste of the talent's time whenever they face Shane who has no business in being in a WM match when people that are actually talented will be kept off of it due to time constraints. Marquee imo is a bit too generous when describing a McMahon match. But like I said, each to his own.
Yep. I just appreciate that they are telling a multilayered story that develop characters. We all know that everyone involved can put on a good match.

But maybe more time should be spent on AJ Nakamura Orton and others. Cuz the rest of Smackdown is very thin in story.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Yep. I just appreciate that they are telling a multilayered story that develop characters. We all know that everyone involved can put on a good match.

But maybe more time should be spent on AJ Nakamura Orton and others. Cuz the rest of Smackdown is very thin in story.
I can see what you mean but the only layer it shows me is Shane wanting a WM match again. I do agree that rest of smack down is thin as far as storytelling is concerned.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Yeah this feud has been great. Now we have a big wrestlemania match to look forward to. Daniel Shane v KO Sami could honestly steal the show for me.