SmackDown Live SmackDown 1000 discussion thread, Oct. 16, 2018: Rey Mysterio returns on a milestone evening

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Its' not the commissioning agency's job to make sure someone from every nation wins their qualifying matches.

They got their opportunity and failed.

This was your very first comment on the subject where you don't say anything about you not caring about the name or about it being meaningless, all Blazeta said before this was the fact that the world cup was all Americans, he didnt even mention at that point how against it he was, it was just a one line post and you instantly came back with a kayfabe answer even though he was obviously talking about non kayfabe booking.

Like I ended up agreeing with you overall but this original reply that started the whole thing is just like what? If you would have started off talking about how the name doesn't matter instead of about some kayfabe commission then your point may have been made better but I still see nothing wrong with pointing out the irony of an all American world cup even if its not a big deal

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
This was your very first comment on the subject where you don't say anything about you not caring about the name or about it being meaningless, all Blazeta said before this was the fact that the world cup was all Americans, he didnt even mention at that point how against it he was, it was just a one line post and you instantly came back with a kayfabe answer even though he was obviously talking about non kayfabe booking.

Like I ended up agreeing with you overall but this original reply that started the whole thing is just like what? If you would have started off talking about how the name doesn't matter instead of about some kayfabe commission then your point may have been made better but I still see nothing wrong with pointing out the irony of an all American world cup even if its not a big deal
Blazy isn't he first person to mention this. It's become a huge ass deal to people online who've been nonstop bitching about it for weeks.

Kayfabe or not, non-Americans were booked in qualifying matches. Who cares that they weren't booked to win their matches. Would this tournament really be better just because Naka and Rusev won matches over Americans?

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The whole point of wrestling is kayfabe. I'm gonna talk kayfabe 70% of the time during a live show.

The reason the average wrestling fan complains as much as they do is they worry too much about the non-kayfabe booking. The moment all you do is think about who's writing this segment, who allowed this guy to go over this other guy, you stop watching a show for entertainment and you become a critic and all you want to do is criticize.

I'm guilty of this too and let me tell when I am it's when I'm having the least fun watching.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
At the end of the day this is the last of what I'll say because we both agree it's a dumb argument to die on, we just disagree on how I argued it I guess.

NXT was allowed to take talents that weren't even signed to WWE and make a truly world-spanning tournament with their Mae Young Classic and Cruiserweight Classic. The main roster was never going to do that and the vast majority of their roster is comprised of Americans. So just from that standpoint their World Cup was always going to be American-centric. Then you add in the fact that Saudi arranged the tournament and most likely picked the winners, there's really not much you can blame WWE for. I think that's more or less what I wanted to get across here. If people still think the World Cup is a dumb name, than just remember Saudi likes to use dumb names. No one was saying Greatest Royal Rumble was a great name. So there you go. Saudi's Greatest American Cup in Saudi. That is and will be it. Now let's move to talking about how bad it probably will be instead.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Posted twice

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah once again I don't disagree just like I've been saying, I just think we got at least an extra page of arguing because you responded to a non-kayfabe complaint with a kayfabe answer and y'all ended up having two different arguments out of it (oh well more activity I guess).

If its 2007 and I'm complaining about Khali being booked world champ I don't want to hear how he's so big and dominant and won the belt in a battle royal because yes that all made perfect sense and I still didn't want that man to be champion. God damn david Arquette winning the belt made sense in kayfabe bc he pinned a non-wrestler and I'll agree all day that it wasn't bad booking in terms of kayfabe, just bad in general.

I make up little head canons using kayfabe for why wrestlers do shit that people complain about all the time but it only works to use that when they're complaining about the kayfabe in the first place, now whether they should or shouldn't care as much about the backstage stuff is a whole other discussion, I pretty much agree with you on it though

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Not watched the show, but at the end of the day calling it a World Cup is just a shit name that was bait to draw initial interest. You hear World Cup and you immediately think of a tournament, league or whatever made up of all different nations. I was hyped to see that but not anymore, will 99% skip this whole show now.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
It's just the King of The Ring.....Ok, it's mislabeled....hardly the biggest story heading into this card. :bitchplz

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
It's just the King of The Ring.....Ok, it's mislabeled....hardly the biggest story heading into this card. :bitchplz
Exactly.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
So how was the show; cause it became an afterthought in all of your bickering?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Big Dave showed us what we were missing.

Rey and Nakamura had a rushed match.

And some reason people think dance breaks is funny after the first time they did it.

But.....Bar champs :jeriko

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The conversation literally starting in the last 5 minutes of the show.

That said, it was pretty decent. Evolution was clearly the highlight. Dave cut a damn good babyface promo that may or may not lead to a match with Triple H. Possibly involving Orton who also shaded Batista/Evolution in a promo.

McMahons doing comedy in an R-Truth dance segment with Carmella.

Show could have been better, but not too shabby for what it was.