Shane Carwin to Undergo Back Surgery, Out Until Mid-2012

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
12_dossantos_vs_carwin_003_large.jpg
Shane Carwin has not had an easy few years. After going 12-0 to start his career, never being taken out of the first round, Carwin dropped his fight against Brock Lesnar. After the Lesnar fight, a neck injury forced Carwin out of his bout with Roy Nelson.

Carwin underwent surgery on his neck, came back to face Junior dos Santos on short notice at UFC 131 and was pummeled by the now number one contender. Shane is now announcing on his website that he has gotten more bad news:

As I ramped up my training for UFC 141 my body locked up during training. It wasn't like the Lesnar fight but my back just tightened up and I froze. I scheduled an MRI and the results showed that my disc in my lower back is into the nerves . My doctor gave me two options; retire and I could probably go on for a few years without surgery or I could undergo surgery and continue my career.

The decision was easy. I have unfinished business. The UFC had me lined up to face one of the best in the world and I am confident I have everything I need to be a Champion. I am scheduling surgery and I hope to return to the Octagon by spring or summer 2012.

Two major surgeries in a year and back-to-back losses don't bode well for Shane's future in the sport.

Despite all the nonsense between Shane and Bloody Elbow in the past, I'd like to wish Shane a speedy recovery and good health going forward.