Several Possible Bankruptcies May Cripple Local Sports Broadcasting (A Thread)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

The steady decline of cable networks, both basic and regional sports networks, has been apparent in recent years as cord cutting and cord shaving have been key themes amongst consumers. Although there have been a slew of indie cable nets that have gone dark in recent years, major cable networks and regional sports networks (RSNs) have seemed able to weather the storm until Friday when The Hollywood Reporter stated that Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) is exiting the RSN business.

However, it won’t do so in the usual way—via putting the channels on the market and selling them to the highest bidder. Rather, WBD reportedly sent a letter to the owner of teams that it airs on its four RSN subsidiaries do not have the money to pay upcoming rights fees and WBD will not fund any shortfalls. WBD has proposed handing control of the RSNs over to the teams and leagues, or putting them into Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

It owns three AT&T SportsNet channels in Denver, Houston & Pittsburgh with a minority interest in Roots Sports in Seattle (with the Mainers owning the other 60%).

According to Sports Business Journal, WBD has notified 10 teams associated with the NBA (Blazers, Jazz, Rockets), NHL (Kraken, Penguins, Golden Knights) and MLB (Astros, Mariners, Pirates, Rockies) that they have until March 31 to negotiate a buyback of their rights. Sinclair Broadcast Group’sSBGI -2.6% Diamond Sports Group Subsidiary, which owns the Bally’s RSNs, is also insolvent. It has rights to 42 teams which translates into more than 50 teams which have their sports rights deals in limbo.

Sinclair Broadcast Group’s Diamond Sports, operator of nearly two dozen Bally Sports regional sports networks (RSNs), is reportedly prepping for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

According to Bloomberg, Diamond is looking to restructure $8.6 billion in debt, and will likely skip $140 million in interest payments due mid-February. But the main question is how a bankrupt Diamond will pay out leagues and teams for broadcasting rights.

Bally Sports RSNs include over 40 teams across MLB, NBA and the NHL. Diamond would have the option to either end contracts with those teams or discontinue payments to the teams while keeping the contracts in place, said Bloomberg. One source told the outlet MLB is exploring taking back its local broadcast rights from Diamond.

Other sources commented Diamond expects to come out of restructuring by May or June, after which the company’s largest owners – likely a group of investment management firms – will seek to sell Diamond.

Reports of Diamond’s mounting financial problems emerged last September, suggesting Sinclair is thinking of divesting its regional sports subsidiary or selling it off to one of the leagues. Later that month Sinclair launched Bally Sports+, a direct-to-consumer streaming service that features 19 Bally RSNs.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Bally is what the Braves play on, Bally and Dish can't come to an agreement to show the games(and haven't since like 2019). So, I hope Bally fucks off and some new company takes over who will work out something with Dish. My cousin no longer has cable so I can't leech off him to watch the games anymore. I really don't want to have to stream the games from another soruce, but I will if need be.

#Waddles

- Retired Vet -
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
I hear you B.

When I visit my girlfriend we watch the Bucks (when they're on, duh). She also has dish which sucks as well. Bally blows hard and they suck. Hopefully the go for broke.

Reactions: Vegeta

nickp1991

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
UserAEW
Favorite Wrestler
lita
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
4v9FT90
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
5wv8W7T
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
MLS and Apple works out this year Could be a good model for other leagues to follow