Scott Coker Feels Overeem's Win Helps Prove Strikeforce's Legitimacy

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has always beat the drum that the fighters in Strikeforce are world-class, on the same level as those in the UFC.

With three of his promotion's former champions - Alistair Overeem, Dan Henderson and Nick Diaz - having quickly positioned themselves at the top of their respective divisions in the UFC, Coker feels as though his opinion has been validated.

"It just proves that these guys fighting in Strikeforce are world-class fighters," Coker recently told USA Today. That fact alone proves that we can hold our own in our own league."

Though Overeem, Henderson and Diaz were head and shoulders above the majority of their competition in Strikeforce and are now full-time residents of the UFC, Coker believes that their UFC success shows that Strikeforce fighters are right up there with their UFC counterparts and are consistently underrated as a result of the brand craze around the UFC.

"One thing about (the) MMA community is, they're stuck in the organization thing," he said. "Some people are slave to a brand because some brands are stronger than the others. I just think that it's about the fighter, not the organization. … There's some trash in UFC and in here in Strikeforce, they'd get exposed just as well."

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I wouldnt even consider Reem a 'Strikeforce guy', he defended the heavyweight title once in 4 years and only had 3 fights there......

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Overeem beating Brock... does not help solidify or prove anything. Overeem was nearly expected to win... the only question really was how long would it take for him to win.

Hendo isn't really a Strikeforce guy cause he'll always be really looked at as a UFC guy.

But as far as Overeem goes... IF he can beat dos Santos then you can make a claim. But Coker is just jumping the gun big time with Overeem winning a fight he was supposed to win.

Then again Coker is an idiot and I don't like him.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I don't know how Dan Henderson is a Strikeforce guy either, he was a UFC guy that went to Strikeforce after he couldn't take the title.

I think this just proves that Overeem is a quality heavyweight and not neccessarily that Strikeforce is a strong company. UFC is the biggest MMA company and if fighters want to prove themselves then they have to go fight there.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
My problem with Coker is that he is hopping all over Overeem winning... when if you really look at it... you have the k-1 grand prix champion... defeated a wrestler. Thats what it is. The best pure striker beat one of the worst strikers. What does that prove? The grand prix winner has over 40 fights to his record... the wrestler was on his 8th professional mma fight.

Coker... is an idiot.