Samoa Joe failed as Champion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rell

Reaction score
Holy shit, Joe's title reign is producing some of TNA's worst numbers in a very, VERY long time. Angle needs the strap back, ASAP. I find it funny, weren't you guys saying putting the title on Joe would lead to an increase in ratings, buyrates, etc.? In reality, its the exact opposite. Tough break :smh

Lets be real, Samoa Joe is uninteresting. He had all the momentum in the world, and TNA let him run out of steam by putting him in a feud with Angle too soon. Instead of letting the feud build, they jumped right into it, which was a bad idea.

Enigma22

Reaction score
i dont think its samoa joe jailing as champion then... its more of tna failing samoa joe...

Rell

Reaction score
... its more of tna failing samoa joe...

Yeah, pretty much. He was demolishing the X-Division, and was probably the hottest thing going at one point. Again, TNA let him run out of momentum, and immediately put him against Angle. Losing to Angle tarnished his "monster" look in my honest opinion.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
i dont think its samoa joe jailing as champion then... its more of tna failing samoa joe...

Yeah, pretty much. He was demolishing the X-Division, and was probably the hottest thing going at one point. Again, TNA let him run out of momentum, and immediately put him against Angle. Losing to Angle tarnished his "monster" look in my honest opinion.

Correct good sirs.

Glad I didn't have type it out. Pos reps for all.

Oh and I know i just went through a whole thing with Montana on the shoutbox.

but where's the marketing and pr for the Home grown Samoa Joe Title win? Or the Amazing Kong wrestling men?

PeepShow

What the fuck are you talking about. There was pretty much nobody left for him to beat. I don't see the problem in him facing Angle right away, it's just the fact that it's happened so many times over the past year and a half, that it's just gotten pretty stale and boring. TNA tends to make things that way, whether it be letting feuds drag out too long (Booker/Roode, Roode/EY, ect) And in this case, they just had too many matches and feuds in a short amount of time for people to lose interest.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
What the fuck are you talking about. There was pretty much nobody left for him to beat. I don't see the problem in him facing Angle right away, it's just the fact that it's happened so many times over the past year and a half, that it's just gotten pretty stale and boring. TNA tends to make things that way, whether it be letting feuds drag out too long (Booker/Roode, Roode/EY, ect) And in this case, they just had too many matches and feuds in a short amount of time for people to lose interest.

imo, I guess i'm not really disagreeing with ya but

the instant feud with Angle was a problem, because he lost. For a guy who hasn't won the big one who's been floating on upper mid card for a long time with an undefeated streak as impressive as Goldbergs he should of won the feud or at least the title until he got screwed.

that feud was on firreee. It was crazy the intensity that would build just from these two being in the same room as each other. It could go from a comedy segement with Eric Young to a intense Heel vs Face showdown from Angle in a snap and the fans were all aboard.

What killed the Angle and Samoa Joe feud was the fact that re-did it sooo many times due to it's success and how well the two work with each other. Angle wants to make a star but he's not going to get made to look bad in the process (until recently)

All of their matches have been fairly good matches, not one of them have been bad or even decent, they've all been good or great. What's lacking is the writing and the feud. I cringe whenever I think of the trio of Angle Karen and Joe. Like what the fuck was that?

and if I was in charge of booking when Angle joined TNA, I would of made Home grown Joe vs Home grown Styles show the WWE fans what they've been missing. Sure it's been done, lots but everyone knew that Joe vs Angle was inevitable, and since both had so much monmentum they didn't even tease us with the chance that it very well could happen. They just gave us it and we were like sweet then they overexposed us like you were saying.~

Rell

Reaction score

Angle was only in TNA for what, a month, and he was already feuding with Samoa Joe, TNA's hottest commodity at the time? Having your two biggest superstars face each other, should take a little longer than a months worth of build, wouldn't you agree? Joe, who was portrayed as a monster, suffered his first lost to Angle, right? In my honest opinion, the moment Joe had his shoulders pinned to the mat, his credibility as a "monster" vanished.

But thats just one mans opinion, any who...TNA is in its death bed :n:

PeepShow

Angle was only in TNA for what, a month, and he was already feuding with Samoa Joe, TNA's hottest commodity at the time? Having your two biggest superstars face each other, should take a little longer than a months worth of build, wouldn't you agree?

So you would rather see Joe continue to just squash people for another 6 months to a year, as he was already doing that for well over a year basically, than face off in one of the hottest feuds in wrestling at the time?

Joe, who was portrayed as a monster, suffered his first lost to Angle, right? In my honest opinion, the moment Joe had his shoulders pinned to the mat, his credibility as a "monster" vanished.

I'm not disagreeing there.

TNA is in its death bed :n:

Wasn't this the same thing everyone said last year at this point as well? :y:

Beer Money Army

I don't think It's joe Fault...

I blame TNA....

angle/samoa joe Have feuded some many damn times from end 06-08... That can sometimes lead to uninterest to fans that have seen them face each other so many times...

Scott Steiner in the main event isn't helping either....

I personally don't care for the 3 Way for TNA. angle/steiner/Joe.....

But you have to take in accoutn the other stupid angles tna got going at the moment won't be helping in gaining viewers...

I don't blame Joe.. he should of had the c'ship in Mid 2007.. It's about a Year too Late and well.. it's just like when bret hart got the wcw belt in 1999.. he should of had that in 98.. It way overdue and in return tna lost about 0.1-0.3 viewers...

Rell

Reaction score
So you would rather see Joe continue to just squash people for another 6 months to a year, as he was already doing that for well over a year basically, than face off in one of the hottest feuds in wrestling at the time?

What type of results did the so called "hottest feuds in wrestling at the time" produce? Did it increase ratings? Revenue? Buyrates? If the answers no, well then, the feud wasnt as "hot" as you would like to believe.

Wasn't this the same thing everyone said last year at this point as well? :y:

I wouldn't doubt it, but WWE fans have always believed TNA was on its death bed. To be quite honest, I wouldn't consider TNA a dying promotion. They have huge things in the future, including a video game that could lead to something TNA has never had....income.

I just like getting under your skin :y:

OsamaHussian

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily blame the low ratings all on Joe, it's every ones fault. Just like it takes a group effort to put on a great show, it takes a group effort (or lack there of) to put on a horrible one. And at the moment that's exactly what TNA's doing.

They need to cut down on all the pointless, un-needed gimmick matches and start booking better shows like they did before. Stop with the comedy shit with AJ, Christopher Daniels, Petey (even though I dug the whole "Little Petey Pump" thing), Jay Lethal, Sonjay and so on.

Start booking solid shows and I'm positive they could get to where they want to go.

Angle was only in TNA for what, a month, and he was already feuding with Samoa Joe, TNA's hottest commodity at the time? Having your two biggest superstars face each other, should take a little longer than a months worth of build, wouldn't you agree? Joe, who was portrayed as a monster, suffered his first lost to Angle, right? In my honest opinion, the moment Joe had his shoulders pinned to the mat, his credibility as a "monster" vanished.

I agree with everything you said, they should have built up to Joe vs. Angle instead they immediately had the two feud thinking it would bring in new viewers right away, which it didn't. In my opinion, TNA completely dropped the ball on Angle and Joe

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Look I'm laying half the blame on Joe and half on TNA here. I do agree that Joe has failed as champ, and there are multiple reasons why.

TNA booked him to win the title in Joe vs Angle for the 85735973rd time. I don't really want to see someone gain a title off of someone that they have already wrestled a billion times. Stpid booking.

TNA failed to use Joe well when he had the momentum. I would have way rathered see Joe take the title before he feuded with Angle, had a few defences, THEN six months down the track face Angle after a nice long build. That would have given Joe the title when he was the hottest and when he deserved it.

The problem I see with Joe is that I think he has ind of changed, and not for the better. When he debuted he dressed normally. He was a blue collar destroyer. Yet now he's wearing these suits? The Joe character is one I definately don't want to see dressing like that. I think he lost part of his connection with the people through this.

As has been said by other people, Joe isn't the only one responisible for TNA's ratings decline. I'm fine with having Currymam running around, I find it entertaining. But it is definately time for AJ to get serious. With Angle thought to be having neck problems, maybe after Sacrifice have Angle come out and say he's hurt. Then AJ comes out and say that I'm still here for you man, and we've been through a lot. Then AJ just turns on Angle and vicously beats him down. This would make an awesome heel character, freshen AJ up, and make him serious.

The other person who should be more serious is EY. I know he isn't anyone's favourite wrestler, but the fans were (and still are behind him), and he then found his way into the main event of Turning Point. After this match, what did TNA do with EY? Nothing. This was just an absolute waste of EY.

I think TNA just has to pull the whole act together. With Angle probably out hurt, I really think that the next Champion has to be a serious AJ. And give Joe until BFG tp prove himself.

Evil Austin

Rell, you have surprised me with another great smart post I agree with sorry all Joe marks out there but I just don't like him and me myself I am a Kurt Angle mark. Give him the title back.

John

the belt should be on Kurt angle right now. his gimmick was the best in TNA history and his antics with wife karen earned him the TNA championship and main event spot. the samoan submission machine is definately not as good a champion as Kurt Angle used to be. his reign so far has been unimpressive. yet another bad move by TNA. and with the freak added to the main event gives more boredum. i enjoyed turning on the computer to watch TNA, {its not in england til saturday} and watching kurt prance around. now its boring with joe as champ. he gets all the TV Time and sounds like an idiot half the time.

Montana

I think its mostly TNA's fault

TNA decided to put the belt on Joe a year late.

TNA decided to have Joe / Angle fued all year

TNA Decided to book JOe's first opponent as Scott Steiner

TNA knew Joe wouldn't be a marketable champ, but more for the hardcore fans, but should have been able to be pulled off like Mick Foley.

Somoa Joe has gotten slow and lazy in the ring.

My take on this.