Sami Zayn discusses Elimination Chamber loss to Roman Reigns

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
zayn-wwe.webp

Sami Zayn's loss to WWE Undisputed Universal Champion Roman Reigns still doesn't sit right with the former Bloodline member.

Zayn opened up to Ryan Satin on the latest edition of the "Out Of Character" podcast, saying that while he's grateful to have had the chance to step in the ring with Reigns, it continues to be hard to know that he's not "the chosen one."

"I forced their hand as much as humanly possible, but still just a buck short, you know, and it was a hard pill to swallow ... even though you kind of know what the plan is or where things are headed," Zayn said.

"There's kind of this hope that you hold on to like, 'Yeah, but if the crowd is loud enough, and the story is good enough, it's kind of right there,' and it kind of felt like we got right there, about as close as any human being on Earth can get without actually getting there," he added. "But it's fine because getting there on its own is an amazing feat. What I mean by getting there is not beating Roman, but getting to that match, everyone wants you to beat Roman and getting an audience in that frenzy and experiencing an audience like that, again, being a part of a story like that, very few people on Earth can say they've ever done that.

“I don't have bad things to say about anything involving that story, but if you're asking me was it a tough pill to swallow to come that close and not quite make it? I'd be lying if I said no, it didn't bother me at all," Zayn concluded. "For sure, there was a part of me that had problems digesting that.”

Zayn also acknowledged in the interview how hard it is to get to the level he climbed to during his run with Reigns, saying only a handful of people have achieved that over the last decade, citing Becky Lynch, Daniel Bryan and Kofi Kingston as others who felt that success.

He went on to note how unsure the future is when it comes to getting to the the top again, adding that he knows he got a lot out of his story with Reigns and he continues to be grateful for it.

"It's like a lightning in the bottle type of thing," he said. "You don't get it very often, and then you kind of get it, and you're like, the story, the audience, your performance, all of it ... it's just gotten you to the exact right place that you dreamed you'd be. Then when you get there, it's like, you just kind of fall short and you don't know if you'll ever get it back. So, for sure that's hard and you don't know if you can do it again.

"I got a lot out of that story," he later added. "Don't get me wrong. It goes without saying.”

Zayn appeared Monday night on this week's Raw in a winning effort against JD McDonagh. He is currently one half of the WWE Undisputed Tag Team Champions with Kevin Owens.