Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Reuters said:
"Borat" star Sacha Baron Cohen is set to play flamboyant rocker Freddie Mercury in a dramatic feature focusing on his glory days as the frontman of Queen, its producers said on Thursday.

The untitled film is being written by Peter Morgan, the British scribe behind "The Queen" and "The Last King of Scotland." No director is attached yet.

Shooting will begin next year, said producer Graham King, whose GK Films is partnering on the project with Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal's Tribeca Productions, and Queen manager Jim Beach.

The project has the cooperation of Mercury's estate and the three surviving members of Queen, a spokeswoman for GK Films said. Guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor will oversee the musical content of the film, which will feature both original Queen music and Mercury solo music. (Bassist John Deacon has retired from the music industry.)

The film will focus on a period of a few years leading up to what was arguably Queen's greatest moment: its performance at the Live Aid charity concert in 1985, when the band mesmerized London's Wembley Stadium and a worldwide TV audience with such hits as "We Will Rock You" and "Radio Ga Ga."

The band continued touring and recording even as Mercury's health deteriorated. A day after finally admitting he had AIDS, Mercury succumbed to the disease in 1991, at age 45.

Firstly fantastic news that they are making a movie about Freddie Mercury and Queen. Queen are right up their in my top five artists of all time, would have to be my favourite band of all time. They had so many great songs and they could perform.

Secondly, great casting choice. When I read the story I could immediately picture him as Freddie, just add some larger front teeth, cut his hair and get him to grow some facial hair and it would be pretty spot on.

Can't wait to see what they produce here and it is great that all the surviving members and his estate are on-board for this film. The biggest question I have is will he sing the songs himself or will they just use Freddie's vocals.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I really think this is a great Choice. Cohen has been known for comedy but come to think of it the guy actually reminds me of mercury (what I saw of him from past vids) as they are both very eccentric and flamboyant. I am sure Cohen will really respect this role as the guy actually seems really decent and respectful despite his controversial movies. He is also Jewish, random fact I know but it shocked me.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Cohen has shown that he can play a character well in his roles as Borat, Ali G, Bruno etc. Plus he sung songs in Sweeny Todd if I remember right and he wasn't that bad so he can sing if they want him to. I really think that he will get into the character exceptionally well.

Do you think that he will sing himself or will they use Freddie's original vocals?

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
i have yet to hear him sing but it would be good for him to sing himself. it adds class to the film and cohen would be showing respect.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
I personally think that Sasha Baron Cohen would make a great Freddie Mercury. It just all sounds so good to me, I can totally see it happening. He looks like him, not afraid to play a gay character, and is completely awesome. I want to see this.