Rumor: WWE buys TNA Library, Corgan to Rebrand

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MGS32

The Game
Technician
Reaction score

Also backed up by Jim Ross.

Looks like a best possible scenario for everyone, TNA is (probably) dead. Corgan gets to rebrand without Dixie in control and the old library is put on the Network.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score

Also backed up by Jim Ross.

Looks like a best possible scenario for everyone, TNA is (probably) dead. Corgan gets to rebrand without Dixie in control and the old library is put on the Network.

This. Well put.

I really hope TNA doesn't close doors and Corgan ends up revitalizing the company.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
It's an odd business scenario, from the way I understand it. Corgan would be buying talent contracts, rings/lighting equipment, stuff to essentially start his own promotion with TNA's stuff.

So "TNA" will be dead and have the cheap tape library for video packages and possibly to throw on the network. Please, WWE!

But honestly, this is such a bad way to get started. As great as it is to have the talent and the stuff, I can't imagine 2016 wrestling fans not seeing Smashing Pro Wrestling or whatever as "LOLTNA", and fans are already skeptical of new promotions. Those dreaded three initials will be gone which helps ad revenue, and Dixie is out of the way... but most of the problems still remain.
Not to mention - again - that they have to do something to stand out in a competitive market. Sure we found the Final Deletion stuff on Youtube but that's hardly making the TV network happy.
(Speaking of such, could Corgan buy out the TV contract too? No way.)

Enjoyed the hell out of BFG, but wonder if this is for the best for wrestlers.

Fireshock

THE INSTANT CLASSIC
Reaction score
To be honest I think TNA has needed a image change for the longest time, this might the biggest option to do so. WWE gets it's library, Corgan gets money from it and the company re-brands itself. The only problem is as Dixie Carter is still there, as long as she is there it will always have some kind of problems. That woman is useless she needs to go badly.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
It's an odd business scenario, from the way I understand it. Corgan would be buying talent contracts, rings/lighting equipment, stuff to essentially start his own promotion with TNA's stuff.

So "TNA" will be dead and have the cheap tape library for video packages and possibly to throw on the network. Please, WWE!

But honestly, this is such a bad way to get started. As great as it is to have the talent and the stuff, I can't imagine 2016 wrestling fans not seeing Smashing Pro Wrestling or whatever as "LOLTNA", and fans are already skeptical of new promotions. Those dreaded three initials will be gone which helps ad revenue, and Dixie is out of the way... but most of the problems still remain.
Not to mention - again - that they have to do something to stand out in a competitive market. Sure we found the Final Deletion stuff on Youtube but that's hardly making the TV network happy.
(Speaking of such, could Corgan buy out the TV contract too? No way.)

Enjoyed the hell out of BFG, but wonder if this is for the best for wrestlers.
Starting a wrestling promotion is always a gamble. I think it has been said that you need to count on a five year loss before making money or something like that. Unless you find yourself in some form of perfect storm of happenstance.

But not paying for the tape library was an odd choice for Billy if true. Since he himself could have sold it had he needed to make some money back

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Starting a wrestling promotion is always a gamble. I think it has been said that you need to count on a five year loss before making money or something like that. Unless you find yourself in some form of perfect storm of happenstance.

But not paying for the tape library was an odd choice for Billy if true. Since he himself could have sold it had he needed to make some money back

I, of course, do not know this for sure. But my assumption would be that Dixie probably chose to sell the tape library to WWE and not to Corgan so she'd get the money from it and not him. She would likely get more money from WWE for the library than he would. If she's selling the company as well, it might be the best way to maximize her gains in the company while leaving.

MGS32

The Game
Technician
Reaction score

I think Corgan's promotion if done correctly could very well work. He wont be using the TNA name and I hope for his sake that he basically starts this as a new promotion while buying everything TNA has left including contracts and such, change up the roster a bit, give an entirely new look and make this new promotion as different from TNA as possible and he will have a chance to make it work.

Somewhat like Post Draft WWE, just change everything up.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Honestly I hope this is true because I really like this rumor. I would be happy if WWE puts TNA's shows on the Network... even though I did buy a few years worth of Impact shows from iTunes... I also have all of the Fox Sports Impact episodes on tape. But I would like to see the weekly PPVs and some of the stuff I missed. I could see WWE putting this there, although I am sure it would be a while before we see it.

I'd also be more willing to give Billy Corgan's rebranded promotion a try. I've had too much of a grudge against TNA for the whole Jeff Jarrett thing... rebranding it might be the best thing to get me to watch again.

Wow, I wonder how Jeff Jarrett feels then. If this is true, Vince owns the vast majority of his career on tape now.

MGS32

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I think a lot of people would be willing to give Corgan a try. Its pretty clear he has a lot more business sense than Dixie and a complete rebrand would make a lot of people tune into the show and something that monumental would be big publicity.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I think a lot of people would be willing to give Corgan a try. Its pretty clear he has a lot more business sense than Dixie and a complete rebrand would make a lot of people tune into the show and something that monumental would be big publicity.

And he's a guy who likes wrestling, not solely someone who is only trying to make money off wrestling. Because, as we know, he has other ventures that are much more profitable than a wrestling company will ever be for him. So he's definitely in it because it is something he enjoys... I never got that impression off of Dixie.

Reactions: MGS32

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I would certainly give his promotion a chance tbh. If anything, out of curiosity to see what the rebrand means for the promotion.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score

While we can agree this isn't a "perfect storm", how good of a storm is this? Suppose it's not too bad...
Do you think TNA still has enough of a rep of "It's not the talent, it's the promotion. They've got some great wrestlers over there!"
It's a better start than GFW I'm sure... lol

Stopspot

Reaction score
While we can agree this isn't a "perfect storm", how good of a storm is this? Suppose it's not too bad...
Do you think TNA still has enough of a rep of "It's not the talent, it's the promotion. They've got some great wrestlers over there!"
I think it is the easiest if we round up pros and cons.

Pro:
TV deal already in place.
Motivated roster with minimal bloatedness
Relatively young roster. Possibility of long term investment and build in talent.

Con:
I'd assume limited finances, at least for a start.
Non-paying crowds, which can be a big possible hinder considering the business is about making money.
At times uncaring and downright bad crowds. Needs to be adressed.
Questionable backstage staff. Who stays and who leaves when/if Billy takes over? Will stooges like Gaburick and Ryder find continued employment and we get much of the same old same old? Or will it be a fresh breeze.
Tainted brand. Can only be solved by long term work on improving it.

The TV deal in itself makes it a strong start. But they need to adress the lack of live events and paying crowds fairly quickly. Or stick it out at Universal.

Stopspot

Reaction score
I think it is the easiest if we round up pros and cons.

Pro:
TV deal already in place.
Motivated roster with minimal bloatedness
Relatively young roster. Possibility of long term investment and build in talent.

Con:
I'd assume limited finances, at least for a start.
Non-paying crowds, which can be a big possible hinder considering the business is about making money.
At times uncaring and downright bad crowds. Needs to be adressed.
Questionable backstage staff. Who stays and who leaves when/if Billy takes over? Will stooges like Gaburick and Ryder find continued employment and we get much of the same old same old? Or will it be a fresh breeze.
Tainted brand. Can only be solved by long term work on improving it.

The TV deal in itself makes it a strong start. But they need to adress the lack of live events and paying crowds fairly quickly. Or stick it out at Universal.