Rumor: Frank Mir To Fight Brock Lesnar NOT Overeem

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yahoo!’s Kevin Iole is reporting that Alistair Overeem may have pulled out of the UFC 141 main event set for December 30 for family reasons. In his place is expected to be Frank Mir who defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 140. Frank Mir would fight Brock Lesnar in their third fight since 2008, with each man holding a win over the other. At the post fight press conference, Dana White denied that Overeem was injured.

UPDATE: In an update to the story, ESPN’s Joss Gross has posted the following on Twitter, regarding the fight possibly being off…

“White denies Overeem is off the Lesnar card. But Alistair is on Mon.’s Nevada State Athletic Commission agenda. I’ve heard possibly in connection w/ prefight drug test.”

Last edited:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
This is obviously just a rumor but it's huge news if it's true. I've heard injury, personal problems and drug test issue as reasons for Overeem pulling out of the fight, definitely something to keep an eye on especially if it is a drug test issue.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Mir would be mad to take it, hes on a roll and just 2 weeks after this win is too risky, IMO.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I hope this isn't the case. I really want to see Lesnar vs. Overeem and this wouldn't be anywhere near enough time for Mir to get ready for this fight.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I really do hope that its only a rumor and that Mir/Lesnar III won't happen on the 30th. Overeem/lesnar is the fight that needs to happen to end the year. This is a fight that people have been wanting to see and always wondered if it could happen. Now it is possible for it to happen and it needs to otherwise the end of the year card will be not that good.

Overeem better be there. Otherwise there will be a lot of pissed off people. Plus Mir would not be anywhere near ready for a fight with Lesnar that soon. the styles between Big Nog and Lesnar are far too different and to prep for Lesnar after prepping for months against Big Nog... wouldn't do him any favors at all. Not to mention the tremendous streak that Mir has been on and considering how he fared last time against Lesnar... he'd want more than 2 weeks to prepare.

Deuce

Reaction score
Hopefully this is just a rumour, Overeem vs Lesnar would be wicked stuff but Mir vs Lesnar is broing.... it has happened already. Mir is on a pretty good streak and if he fights Lesnar, he could lose his streak.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Boring!? They're 1-1 against each other and their third and likely final encounter would decide the #1 contender to JDS..

Deuce

Reaction score
Boring!? They're 1-1 against each other and their third and likely final encounter would decide the #1 contender to JDS..

Still boring, look at the weight difference and rewatch their 2 match ups. They both suck but yes there is a possibility this one could be the best one but I would still prefer Overeem vs Lesnar.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Mir and Lesnar wouldn't be boring, both guys hate each other and both guys would do whatever it takes to keep the other from getting a title shot. There's too much money and fan interest in Brock and Overeem for it not to happen though.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, Mir is wayyyyy better than what he was in the first two, and Brock isnt the unstoppable force he was.

Would be a good fight and I'd fancy Mir (if given a camp and not just 2 wks notice) but still want Reems debut in the UFC more tho.

Ben

Reaction score
Mir/Lesnar 3 is a big fight that needs to happen, just doesn't need to happen in 2 weeks. Reem needs to debut and really for me proves he can hang in the UFC, didn't impress me much in SF so smashing Brock would put some truth behind the hype he gets.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Big deal about the weight difference as far as i'm concerned. Look how much Mir's standup has improved since the second fight and the proof was in the pudding during the hype videos where it mentions him standing and flattening Kongo & Crocop and stood with Nelson. Add onto that what happened to Brock when he stood with Carwin & Cain and I think you've got a lot more interesting fight than you think.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
TORONTO -- Frank Mir would have us believe that he was never really out of it after getting rocked by Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the first round of their heavyweight tilt at UFC 140. Instead, he was merely "wobbled," he said. He'd also have us believe that was bound to get out of danger whether Nogueira had stopped hitting him and gone for a choke or not, even if UFC president Dana White was among those who simply wasn't buying either claim.

It almost makes you wonder how seriously to take Mir's other major statement on the night, this one regarding rumors that Alistair Overeem might have to withdraw from his UFC 141 fight with Brock Lesnar on December 30.

"If the rumors that you're hearing are true, I wouldn't mind having to step in for Overeem and taking on Brock," said Mir. "I'm pretty healthy and three weeks isn't bad turnaround."

And why not? He may have come within one or two punches of being knocked completely out by Nogueira in a back-and-forth one-rounder, but Mir talked like a man who had hardly suffered any damage at all before getting the submission win in a wild affair.

As he explained: "I only fought a three-minute fight, so I'm feeling pretty good. My wife might not be happy about Christmas but, eh, she can deal with it."

As for Nogueira, his holiday season is looking especially grim. White, who denied the Overeem withdrawal rumors, revealed after the press conference that he was planning to fly Nogueira back to Las Vegas with him on Sunday morning so he could have surgery on his injured right arm as soon as possible. He also said that he knew Nogueira was headed for trouble when Mir locked up the kimura, and nothing about the Brazilian's history or posture suggested that he was ready to tap.

"Nogueira's a jiu-jitsu black belt, probably the best submissions heavyweight of all time, you know when you get caught in that thing to tap," White said. "You know to tap out to that. It's what happens if you don't."

Mir said he knew what the likely outcome would be when he secured the kimura, and the only thing left to do was to go ahead and finish it.

"I had a strong inclination that he was not going to tap, so I took a deep breath and you guys saw what happened," he said.

The injury drew pained groans from the crowd at the Air Canada Centre when it was replayed several times on the big screen. It's the latest in a serious of injuries that have piled up on Nogueira of late, and though he hasn't taken the knockouts that some of his contemporaries have, he might still have to sit down for a serious talk with the boss, White said.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Overeem, in his blog for Yahoo! Sports, claims he will be 100 percent ready to go when he steps inside the Octagon against the former UFC heavyweight champion. In fact, "The Reem" makes some bold statements in his blog.

"But to my fans who are worried that I will not be 100 percent ready to rip Brock Lesnar apart on December 30 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, let me promise you: coming back to Holland for this camp will not be a factor at all," Overeem wrote. "I say to MMA fans, again, don't worry, I will be sending this guy back to WWE for you."

The rumors hit a fever pitch as Overeem returned home to care for his mother, who he says is doing much better now. Also, the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion is on the agenda for Monday's NSAC meeting, but that could be to obtain fight license

Everything seems to be alright now, so looks like we'll have this fight to look forward too to close out 2011.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Good news that this hasn't changed. Mir vs. Lesnar will happen later but for now I want to see Lesnar vs. Overeem