Rough Idioms

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
There are some, though, which sound rough when used in a particular context. For example, in a recent interview with the Bella Twins, (Transform your Struggle into Strength, with the Bella Twins), when Brianna was commenting on how she would guide her daughter, she said 'until I kick her out of the nest...'

Why did she have to put the idea in such a brazen way? Quite honestly, I'm offended by the way she expressed it. Couldn't she have said instead, 'until my daughter leaves the nest?'

Last edited:

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
It's coming from a place of power. Her daughter isn't leaving of her own volition; Brie is deciding when her daughter should stop living with her parents. To me It sounds like she wants her daughter to be tough and independent. She'll give her kid the tools for success, but she won't hold the kid's hand the entire time.

Why did she have to put the idea in such a brazen way?
It's reality TV and was probably a line fed to her rather than something she thought up on her own. I reckon the idea is to shock the viewer since the line doesn't sound particularly loving and motherly.

Couldn't she have said instead, 'until my daughter leaves the nest?'
Would you be talking about it if she used those words instead?

Quite honestly, I'm offended by the way she expressed it.
Because you expect a mother to care deeply for her child and the line sounds as if Brie doesn't care what happens to the kid once it reaches a certain point. Your profile says you're 35, so perhaps you have a child and the thought of that child leaving your nest makes you anxious, leading you to be irritated when another parent shows such apathy to the thought of her offspring leaving her nest.

Or you just really hate the saying "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps". I dunno.

Reactions: britishheel

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Raising a child to be independent beats raising them to not know how to fend for themselves. I don't understand getting upset over it. She isn't going to be a bad parent for doing this, if she indeed does. Consider this... Say she doesn't "kick her bird out the nest" and instead allows her to live with them for as long as she needs. Do you think she will be more motivated to want to do something with her life? I think she'd end up living off mommy and daddy's money as long as she could not learning independence or growing a desire to want something for her own life.

Reactions: britishheel

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
It's coming from a place of power. Her daughter isn't leaving of her own volition; Brie is deciding when her daughter should stop living with her parents. To me It sounds like she wants her daughter to be tough and independent. She'll give her kid the tools for success, but she won't hold the kid's hand the entire time.

It's reality TV and was probably a line fed to her rather than something she thought up on her own. I reckon the idea is to shock the viewer since the line doesn't sound particularly loving and motherly.

Would you be talking about it if she used those words instead?

Because you expect a mother to care deeply for her child and the line sounds as if Brie doesn't care what happens to the kid once it reaches a certain point. Your profile says you're 35, so perhaps you have a child and the thought of that child leaving your nest makes you anxious, leading you to be irritated when another parent shows such apathy to the thought of her offspring leaving her nest.

Or you just really hate the saying "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps". I dunno.

Sorry, I forgot to put the name of the intrrview. I've added it to my original post. To make tracking easier, I will mention the name again.

Was Transform your Struggle into Strength with the Bella Twins a part of Reality TV, then? Would Brie have said that about Birdie in a normal interview?

I'm not against the bootstraps phrase. I understand it. What I don't like is the 'I kick out' action of the phrase. Surely Birdie will leave herself when the time comes?

I am not a father yet. I'd like to be one some day. I can say though, that as much as I would want my children to leave the home, I wouldn't kick them out of the nest. I would teach them how to leave it and then see them on their way when the coming of age came. 18 is good, I must say.

Raising a child to be independent beats raising them to not know how to fend for themselves. I don't understand getting upset over it. She isn't going to be a bad parent for doing this, if she indeed does. Consider this... Say she doesn't "kick her bird out the nest" and instead allows her to live with them for as long as she needs. Do you think she will be more motivated to want to do something with her life? I think she'd end up living off mommy and daddy's money as long as she could not learning independence or growing a desire to want something for her own life.

What I don't like is the way Brie put it. There are better ways. I respect, and sympathize with, the idea, but not the way it was delivered.

Last edited:

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
Ah okay, I would have to hear her say it.

Of course. My Android YouTube app doesn't appear to let me post a link to the video, but I can supply the time index for the remark and the whole idea, for the sake of clarity. It is 1:09:53-1:10:25. Transform your Struggle into Strength with the Bella Twins.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

Ohh I see, she was making a pun. Her daughter's name is Birdie so she used the phrase "kick the bird out of the nest" lightly. I don't think she meant it in a careless fashion at all. Also, Nikki sounds like an airhead compared to Brie when they talk lol

*John Cena looks in a mirror*...

200.gif

We all blame you John! We all do!

Last edited:

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score

Ohh I see, she was making a pun. Her daughter's name is Birdie so she used the phrase "kick the bird out of the nest" lightly. I don't think she meant it in a careless fashion at all. Also, Nikki sounds like an airhead compared to Brie when they talk lol

Right. I'm starting to see a more positive aspect of this matter. I'll need a little more feedback to help it sink in. I'm not used to puns like this. Please bear with me and help me through this dark patch.

So, as much as Brie would like her daughter to set sail on her own, she's not going to push her away. That was just a light hearted way to address the issue. How am I doing?

Reactions: Nikki Nitro