Rory MacDonald Talks About Training With Georges St. Pierre

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
Rory-MacDonald-GSP_large.jpg
UFC welterweight Rory MacDonald has been writing a series of blogs for sportsnet.ca leading up to his fight with Mike Pyle at UFC 133 on August 6th. The first one dealt with his childhood and his entry into MMA. This one deals with his training at Tri-Star gym with UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. He talks at first about how Mike Pyle has said that his experience edge will be a factor, and believes that he will beat Pyle and take some of that experience. He then moves onto talking about GSP:

I went to all his training sessions with him and watched and studied the way he went about work. I'd then pick his brain on the journey to and from the gym. I followed him everywhere for a good few months and really got a priceless insight into how a great champion trains and lives.

You pick up so much experience from just talking to guys like Georges. He would talk to me about how he prepares, how he deals with nerves and everything else in between. No question went unanswered and it was a huge benefit for me.

Georges is like no other training partner. He is not only very accommodating and personable, but he also happens to be the best fighter on the planet. You couldn't ask for a better guy to show you the ropes. He's an amazing person and one of my best friends.

I now know that in order to reach the level Georges is at right now I have to do everything he does and more. He lives and breathes his career and the sport and leaves nothing to chance. He's the most dedicated and hard-working guy I have ever seen. If you're not willing to sacrifice and dedicate yourself to the game the way Georges does then don't expect to reach the same level.

He also discusses whether he'd ever fight GSP or not, and adds a lot more insight about him. It's a good read that you can catch the rest of here.