Rory MacDonald Blogs About His Journey to the UFC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
4928_1156232778723_1014834086_471837_1298438_n_large.jpg
UFC welterweight Rory MacDonald is one of the UFC's brightest prospects. The 21-year-old (he turns 22 in 10 days) has displayed a massive amount of talent and heart in his three trips the cage so far, winning two of his bouts (and dominating Nate Diaz in the process) and losing to top-contender Carlos Condit with just seven seconds to go in the fight after controlling him for two rounds. Rory was asked to blog for sportsnet.ca in Canada, and his first blog discusses how he believes that he was born to be a fighter:

It surprises people when I tell them I was born to fight, but really, it's true.

My interest in mixed martial arts started when I was very young and still at school. My brother, my dad and I would sit around and watch early UFC video tapes at home and then I'd go outside and slug the heavy bags that my father had hung up in his yard. I would repeat the punches and kicks that I'd seen my UFC heroes use on television and nothing excited me more as a kid.

I've always enjoyed competition and combat sports. I'd always had an interest in MMA, but wasn't able to do anything about that interest until I found an MMA gym at 14 and started training. I loved the training and couldn't get enough of it. I quit all the other sports I was doing, including hockey, and focused entirely on dedicating my life to becoming a great mixed martial artist.

The blog continues on and talks about how he proved all the kids in school wrong by making it to the UFC, having the utmost confidence in himself, and how controlling his nerves is very important in MMA. He ends with a telling statement:

Although I'm still young, in fighting terms, I feel old and experienced beyond my years. I am ready for a test like Pyle...

The rest of the blog is a very good read and give you a lot of insight into how MacDonald thinks. He'll face the aforementioned Mike Pyle on the main card at UFC 133 next month.