Rick Story Talks Nate Marquardt Fight, Understands Jon Fitch's Situation

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
rick-story-300x200_large.jpg
Rick Story was THE story of UFC 130. With a decision win over Thiago Alves on an otherwise pedestrian main card, he was the talk of the event and the new popular name in the welterweight division. Story quickly called out Jon Fitch, saying it was nothing personal but he was the next guy up in the rankings. Fitch made it quite clear he wasn't about to fight Story, so when Anthony Johnson was forced out of his main event bout against Nate Marquardt at UFC on Versus 4 on June 26th, Story was quick to jump in and replace Rumble. Certainly not an easy fight either, but Story told MMAWeekly that he likes the quick turnaround:

"I like fighting really consecutive (fights). I don’t like taking long layoffs," Story told MMAWeekly.com. "When I (was first) a professional fighter, for the the first year or so, I had a bunch of fights; I had, like, a fight every month and I loved it because I never got out of shape and I was always learning. When you get out of shape, you’re just struggling to catch your breath and you can’t be in your perfect form all the time. But when you’re in shape, you're in perfect form over, over and over. And you get those reps in and you get really good real quick. I like getting better quick and I like staying in shape."

His reaction to the offer to fight Marquardt is about what you've expect if you've seen a few Story interviews over the years:

"I don’t care, let’s do it," he said when talking about his reaction to accepting the fight with Marquardt.

Somewhat surprisingly, Story completely understands where Jon Fitch is coming from. Last week, Fitch said he had no interest in fighting Story and only wants B.J. Penn or welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. Story respects it:

"I think it’s more practical," Story said when comparing the Marquardt fight versus one with Fitch. "Fitch, obviously, doesn’t want to fight because he doesn’t feel I’m a big enough name, so if he wants to be that way, I’ll fight Marquardt, I don’t care. But at this point, I want to get the title shot too. And I have to respect that Fitch is on, like, a nine-fight win streak and he wouldn’t want to fight guy a guy like me."

I'm not sure I'd be so charitable with my words if someone had said that about me, but Story is a pretty modest guy. If he can beat Nate Marquardt in Nate's welterweight debut, it's not going to take much longer for Story to get those big fights. Guys like Fitch will have no choice, because Story will be approaching the top of the heap at welterweight pretty quickly.