Rich Franklin Discusses Possible Future As Color Commentator

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Eyeing an early summer return from a shoulder surgery that's seen him out of action since last February, former UFC middleweight champ Rich "Ace" Franklin is getting his MMA fix through other avenues, namely by test calling the fights with Jon Anik, former host of ESPN's MMA Live and new member of the UFC broadcasting team.

Franklin commentated on last weekend's UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem fight with Anik and spoke with World of MMA beforehand about the experience and possibly extending his services as a commentator full-time.

"The UFC, they're expanding. Everybody knows they're doing the shows on Fox and Fuel and FX and all that kind of stuff," explained the 37-year-old. So, they're adding some positions as like analysts and commentators… I'm out here this weekend to work with Jon Anik at the fight. I'll basically be calling the fights, but it's not gonna be televised."

With his career in its late stages and himself being intelligent, well-spoken and well-versed in the fight game, transitioning to a gig as a color commentator seems like an easy and logical step for the 28-6 veteran to take. But, as he pointed out, calling the fights isn't exactly as simple as just showing up on fight night and paying attention.

"I talked to Mike (Goldberg) before about the analysis and commentating, and I know what kind of prep actually goes into this stuff and it's a lot," he said. "I went back and watched the previous fights of all the fighters and all that kind of stuff. There's a lot going into it, reading the bios and everything. I just knew when they said something to me about it that it was gonna be a lot of work."

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I think he'd do good as a commentator. He had a good voice and speaks clearly. Just would rather see him fight a couple more times. The guy is GOOD!

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Good to see that he is thinking ahead and thinking about a career after his fighting days are over. Smart idea to make the move to colour commentator now when UFC will be needing an extended stable of commentators to cover all the events.

Deuce

Reaction score
I'd be alright with him commentating, I would much prefer that over seeing him fight. He just doesn't have it in him to fight with the UFC competiton anymore, in my opinion so commentating would be his best bet.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Boring guy with a monotone voice, so I guess that makes him perfect for the UFC.

Goldberg is exactly the same, passionless and cliche-ridden.

Get Sonnen or Mir instead.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Sonnen would be great on commentary. Dude is funny as hell, charismatic also.

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'd be alright with him commentating, I would much prefer that over seeing him fight. He just doesn't have it in him to fight with the UFC competiton anymore, in my opinion so commentating would be his best bet.

What do you mean he doesn't have it in him to fight with the UFC competition anymore? The guy is still very talented, still has good hands, good subs, good chin, good everything. He's only been finished three times in the UFC... twice by Anderson and once by Vitor.