Report: Lyoto Machida to Fight Phil Davis at an Upcoming PPV

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
lyotomachida_large.jpg
It sure is funny how the world works. Phil Davis was set to face Rashad Evans at UFC 133 before being forced to pull out because of a knee injury. His original replacement, Lyoto Machida, decided to asked for "Anderson Silva" type money to take a fight on short notice. Now, just a week after that event, it seems that fate or Joe Silva has decided that these two men square off.

Machida's manager broke the news to Yahoo! Sports Brazil:

We already contacted them and we'll be able to talk more about that soon. (Davis) is the most concrete option in the division. He'd be a huge opponent for Lyoto, who's one of the biggest idols of the sport in Brazil and needs to fight again soon.

Machida added:

It'd be a clash of styles. Davis is a wrestler, who keeps a strong rhythm on all the rounds until the end. I would need to adjust some aspects in my training to fight him, but this technical change always was one of my best characteristics. I won't have any problems

This match has some added story to it as the last time UFC fans saw Phil Davis was when he cruised his way to a decision over Machida's teammate Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. By adding in a revenge story to this fight, it makes it all the more interesting. It shows that the UFC is very much behind Phil Davis as a future light heavyweight star and that Machida hasn't experience the usual scorched earth campaign of the UFC brass.

No word yet on when this fight will occur but the expectation would be for a late November or December card.

HT and Translation: MMAMania