Report: How WWE Feels About Tony Khan Funding AEW

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
There’s reportedly a feeling within WWE that AEW President Tony Khan will end up losing a significant amount of money in the long run as he tries to compete with the pro wrestling juggernaut.

Khan made headlines this week for a line he made during his New York Post interview. He commented on WWE making the last 30 minutes of tonight’s special SmackDown episode commercial-free, and said he can do the same thing because he has more money than WWE.

“We can take the commercials out of it,” Khan said. “If you want to take the commercials out of it, I can do that too. It doesn’t seem very civil, but I have more money than they do, so I can afford to do that longer than they can. But that’s how we make money at the end of the day, so I was surprised when they took those out.”

In an update, it was noted in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that there’s a perception within WWE that Khan “will spend so much and lose so much money in the long run” as he keeps AEW going.

There’s reportedly some of the same talk from WWE higher-ups that there was during the Monday Night Wars with WCW, of how this is unfair to WWE because they “have” to make money while they feel like the opposition doesn’t have to. They’ve downplayed Khan and AEW’s success based on the idea that he overspent to get into the pro wrestling game.

It was also noted that internally people are making comments to WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon about how “we beat Ted Turner and Ted Turner is smarter than Tony Khan,”

Take this with a grain.

Seems more like projection and a site trying to stoke a fire that won't fire up.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer of F4WOnline.com wrote the following in regards to how people within WWE feel about AEW President Tony Khan:

“The comments internally to Vince McMahon about how ‘we beat Ted Turner and Ted Turner is smarter than Tony Khan,’ are prevalent, forgetting Turner’s head was never in wrestling and he had a million business interests more important and that took up his time and Khan has studied the pro wrestling business since childhood and in certain aspects, is far smarter than McMahon and many of his minions because he has always had a worldwide knowledge of the entire industry and McMahon and his people only know their own company and are slower to learn from the rest of the world.”

Khan addressed with this report with the following response on Twitter:

“I’ve never met Ted Turner. It’s very possible Ted Turner is smarter than me, but he didn’t know 1% of what I know about professional wrestling or WCW would still be on TNT/TBS. @AEW is here to stay, watch #AEWRampage LIVE tonight on TNT or WatchTNT app on your phone or any device.”

Holyshit :whatamark