Report: Chael Sonnen, Lyoto Machida Likely to Meet at Fall UFC Event

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
GYI0061257592.jpg
For weeks, former top middleweight contender Chael Sonnen has been taking jabs on Twitter at former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida. Now, according to a report from Fighters Only Magazine, it appears the two will meet at 205 pounds in the fall, possibly at UFC 136, which is scheduled for Oct. 8 in Houston.

Fighters Only says sources have told them verbal agreements already are in place for the bout while sources tell Bloody Elbow the fight, if signed, would take place this winter.

Sonnen commented on Machida to MMA Fighting during Saturday's UFC 132.

"I don't know what the future holds, there are plenty of guys out there to fight. There's a karate guy at 205 pounds, I might stop there on my way back to 185 for a tuneup fight and take out Machida."

Sonnen has been involved in one of the sport's longest-running sagas for nearly a year after testing positive for testosterone following his UFC 117 middleweight title bout with Anderson Silva. Sonnen won four rounds before Silva rallied for a late submission to retain his title and has fighting even since last September to be licensed again following a prolonged battle with the California State Athletic Commission. It recently was announced Sonnen was free to apply for a license again.

Machida bounced back from two straight defeats to knock out Randy Couture at UFC 129.

Machida spoke to Tatame about Sonnen's challenge and said he'd be happy to take the fight:

Tatame: Is there any talks on where are you gonna fight again?

Machida: Nothing yet, that's the problem. All of the potential opponents are set to fight, and I think I'll just have to wait. Rampage will fight Jon Jones, Franklin fights Minotouro, Phil Davis vs Rashad, so I'll have to wait for the definition of these fights so start my training focused.

Tatame:Chael Sonnen told MMA Fighting that he'd like to move up and fight you soon. What do you think about that?

Machida: I think that's great, I'm excited to do that. He's coming back now, wants to fight, and I really think it's a good fight for me. If Sonnen really wants this fight, I'll sign it immediately, no problem at all.