Renato "Babalu" Sobral Talks Strikeforce, Retirement

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
20090130084727_renatosobral_JPG_large.jpg
Renato "Babalu" Sobral has been an MMA fighter for 14 years now, and thinks his time in the cage/ring might be coming to an end soon. He still wants to fight again though, and is just waiting for Strikeforce to book him. He spoke to Tatame about his next bout, and how retirement is creeping up:

"I’m just waiting this event of the 10th goes by so that I know when I’ll fight again", tells, explaining how he’s spending his days with no scheduled bouts. "Meanwhile, I’m helping Rafael (Cordeiro) on the trainings, I have my gym, Gracie Barra Cerritos, where I train my student, I have my family… I have a big group of kids I like to teach".

"For now I’m more an athlete than a teacher, but I’ll change once I stop fighting, and I’m getting there. Actually, now I’m like a novice teacher", reveals Babalu, pointing out the main reason for that conclusion: "there’re too many injuries (laughs)".

He also explains how his motivations in the sport have changed:

"Adrenaline is addictive, but after you start enjoying teaching, seeing other people learning, improving, mainly on the work I do with the kids… Sometimes kids don’t have self-confidence, but after starting training Jiu-Jitsu it changes, and it’s so rewarding", explains.

Babalu hasn't fought since he was knocked out by Dan Henderson, and has competed just twice since he lost his Strikeforce light heavyweight title to Gegard Mousasi two years ago. But the 35-year-old (he'll be 36 on Wednedsay) is still a formidable challenge for any Strikeforce light heavyweight. Perhaps he could face the winner of the Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Yoel Romero fight that that's scheduled for September 10th?