Rebooted 'Pirates' sets overseas box office record

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

Rate the WrestleMania Day 17- WrestleMania VIII

WrestleMania came off with only an 81, puzzles me, next up is WrestleMania VIII.
wm8.jpg

WrestleMania VIII came to you from the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis, IN on April 5, 1992.

Results

Shawn Michaels w/ Sensational Sherri def. “El Matadorâ€￾ Tito Santana

Undertaker w/ Paul Bearer def. Jake “The Snakeâ€￾ Roberts

Intercontinental Championship
Bret “Hit Manâ€￾ Hart def. “Rowdyâ€￾ Roddy Piper to become new champion

Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter, Virgil & Big Boss Man def. The Mountie, Repo Man & Nasty Boys w/ Jimmy Hart

First Main Event for WWE Championship
Randy "Macho Man" Savage w/ Elizabeth def. Ric Flair w/ Mr. Perfect to become new champion

Tatanka def. “The Modelâ€￾ Rick Martel

World Tag Team Championship
Natural Disasters def. Money Inc. w/ Jimmy Hart by count-out

Owen Hart def. Skinner

Second Main Event
Hulk Hogan def. Sycho Sid w/ Harvey Wippleman by DQ

7/10 I didn't really enjoy this one, I didn't see it, but it doesn't look too good on paper, lol.

Here's how the board is shaping up

Rate the WrestleMania
1) 89-WrestleMania X8
2) 88-WrestleMania 21
3) 87-WrestleMania X
4) 86-WrestleMania 2000
5) 85-WresteMania XIX
6) 83-WrestleMania XII
6) 83-WrestleMania III
7) 81-WrestleMania XX
8) 77-WrestleMania VII
9) 72-WrestleMania XIV
9) 72-WrestleMania V
10) 71-WrestleMania 13
11) 64-WrestleMania I
12) 63-WrestleMania IV
13) 59-WrestleMania XI
14) 47-WrestleMania IX​

BrotherBruti

Reaction score
On the Undercard of the Original Grandaddy of Them
9/10.......one of my favourites.

The end of the Hulkamania Era, the era that got me interested in wrestling. Things went down hill after this so i look at this with great nostalgia.

Piper/Bret is probably my favourite WM match, i'm a great fan of both guys and this was Piper's best match. A classic IC title match, the ending with Piper teasing hitting Bret with the ring bell and then throwing it away was a great moment. Savage/Flair was another great match, these two worked so well with each other and i'm glad this happaned instead of Flair/Hogan. Savage was so believable going after Flair at the end.

Hogan/Sid was typical Hogan but the people really believed he was going and responded accordingly. It's a shame that Sid was gone a few months later as they obviously had big plans for him as a monster heel. Warrior coming out was a bit of a mark out moment aswell.

Michaels/Tito was a good opener, HBK was pretty damn great evan back then. Owen/Skinner was a waste of time that could of gone to better use but hey, Owen got a WrestleMania squash match victory. Tatanka/Martel was interesting in a way, Tatanka never caught on like they thought he would but atleast they tryed. The 8-man tag was fine for what it was, comedy filler.

The Tag Team tile match was nothing much, i never got why the Disasters were faces and The LOD dropped out of the title race after losing the belts. I'd thought Money Inc/LOD would of been a bigger match but i guess there's a reason it didn't happan. Jake/Undertaker was pretty good for a 'Taker match back then, i loved Jake as a heel back then, "Trust Me" and all that.

No it's not the greatest ever but i like it nonetheless and thats why it gets the high score.

Beer Money Army

was a good Mania except for the main event...

flair/savage should of been the main event. savage always got overshadowed by Hogan...

excellent Hart vs Piper Match

about 8/10

Wrestling Station

Bret Hart vs Piper was the best match. But unfortunately, it doesnt save the day, so it gets only 6/10

WFS2008

Reaction score
Wrestlemania VIII is my favorite other than III for the following matches:

Jake Roberts vs Undertaker - Jake really put Taker over on this match and it is one of the best matches of Takers career imo if for nothing else ring psychology.

Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper - One of those matches that defines exciting. Two great workers having one hell of a match. I love that Hart got a clean pin and the promo at the intro is timeless.

Randy Savage vs Ric Flair - In my opinion one of Savages greatest matches, and Flair was at the top of his game here. Should of been the main event because it was hard to keep the excitement level up after the best match of the card.

For nostalgia reasons only Sid Vicious/Justice vs Hulk Hogan - I was a total Hogan mark in these days and this is the end of Hulkamania (93 comeback doesnt count IMO). Looking back on it not a great match but like I said pure nostalgia. The Sid promo for this match is one of the greatest most intense promos of the early WWF so it also adds to the quality.

Kairi

Reaction score
NEW YORK - The reengineered "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequel "On Stranger Tides" found its smoothest sailing overseas, where it took in a record $256.3 million at the international box office, according to studio estimates Sunday.
That surpasses the previous record foreign opening of the sixth "Harry Potter" film, 2009's "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," which earned $236 million internationally.

Walt Disney co. said "On Stranger Tides," the fourth "Pirates" installment, earned $90.1 million domestically. Its combined worldwide total is $346.4 million, the fourth largest global opening ever.
The new 3-D film jettisons co-stars Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, but brings back Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow. "Chicago" director Rob Marshall took the helm from Gore Verbinski, who directed the trilogy. Penelope Cruz and Ian McShane introduce new characters.

It was a risky reboot considering the popularity of the previous "Pirates" films. The last, 2007's "At World's End," opened with $114.7 million.
But "At World's End" was also badly reviewed and disappointing to much of its audience. For Disney, which has expansive merchandising and theme park tie-ins to "Pirates of the Caribbean," it's a crucial franchise. The first three movies earned a combined $2.7 billion worldwide.

"The whole play of this particular movie was based on a worldwide release because of our feeling of how strong the international marketplace would be," said Chuck Viane, head of distribution at Disney. "Johnny is not just a domestic star. Johnny is an international star."
Viane said the result vindicated the franchise's new look, that audiences "loved the rebooted attitude." Viane didn't comment on whether this meant a subsequent fifth film, but that seems extremely likely. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer already has a script in the works.

"On Stranger Tides" was the only new film in wide-release on the weekend. In its second week of release, the acclaimed comedy "Bridesmaids," starring Kristen Wiig, was second at the box office with $21 million. That was an impressively small decrease of just 20 percent from the Universal release's opening weekend of $26.2 million.
The slight decrease was even less than popular comedies like "The Hangover" and "Wedding Crashers," which had similarly sustained business due to strong word-of-mouth.
Last week's top film at the box office, the comic book adaptation "Thor," from Paramount, slid to third place in its third week of release. It earned $15.5 million, bringing its cumulative total to $145.4 million.
Making its limited-release debut was Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris," which has received some of the best reviews for Allen in years. The Sony Pictures Classics release opened in just six theaters, but drew an exceptional per-screen average of more than $96,000.
Though "On Stranger Tides" had the best North America opening of the year, the international revenue was the larger story. The film traded on its foreign appeal by casting international stars like Cruz and setting itself in bright tropical locales.
"This proves the importance of the global marketplace," said Paul Dergarabedian, box office analyst for Hollywood.com.
The film performed especially strong in Russia, China and India, accounting for $52.6 million. It set an all-time record in Russia, taking in $28.6 million.
The film benefited from higher ticket prices for 3-D showings, but perhaps more importantly from IMAX screenings. "On Stranger Tides" set a global record for IMAX with $16.7 million worldwide.
Propelled largely by the "Pirates" installment and the continuing success of "Bridesmaids," it was the second "up" weekend in a row as compared with box office figures from the same weekend last year. Next weekend, the three-day Memorial Day weekend, also appears bright, with debuts from "The Hangover Part II" from Warner Bros. and "Kung Fu Panda 2" from Paramount.

Combined with the second weekend of "On Stranger Tides," Dergarabedian expects it to be one of the biggest moviegoing Memorial Day weekends ever.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Final figures will be released Monday.
1. "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," $90.1 million.
2. "Bridesmaids," $21 million.
3. "Thor," $15.5 million.
4. "Fast Five," $10.6 million.
5. "Rio," $4.7 million.
6. "Priest," $4.6 million.
7. "Jumping the Broom," $3.7 million.
8. "Something Borrowed," $3.4 million.
9. "Water For Elephants," $2.2 million.

10. "Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family," $990,000.