Rate Smackdown Live! 5/16/2017

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rate this week's episode of SMackdown Live!

• 0/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/10

• 2/10

• 3/10

• 4/10

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 5/10

• 6/10

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 7/10

• 8/10

• 9/10

• 10/10

• Total voters

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Rate tonight's episode of Smackdown Live! and leave a comment or two to let us know what you think of the show!

Highlight Reel with Kevin Owens

KO began as the new host of the Highlight Reel. He was interrupted by AJ Styles, who in turn was interrupted by Jinder Mahal.

AJ Styles vs Jinder Mahal

Jinder Mahal defeated AJ Styles by pin fall.

The Colons vs Breezango

Breezango defeated the Colons and then were harassed by the Usos after the match.

Women's Match Contract Signing

The women in the six tag match came out for the contract signing by Shane McMahon. This was just a typical trash talking segment.

Naomi vs Carmella

Carmella defeated Naomi by pin fall when Naomi was distracted by Tamina and Natalya fighting with Charlotte and Becky Lynch.

Randy Orton vs Baron Corbin

Randy Orton defeated Baron Corbin by pin fall. Afterwards, Jinder Mahal and the Bollywood boys attacked Orton.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
7. This was a good enough show. I mean, nothing was too great. I loved Charlotte being with Naomi and Becky but still basically being a heel. Her part of the contract signing was really good.

None of the matches were great, but they were all watchable... well maybe not Breezango and the Colons, but that would be hard to be watchable.

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
I'm rating it a 6, not because it was bad, just because nothing stood out. The highlight reel was neat, the Fashion Files started funny, and other than that nothing really stood out

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I heard about the result of the first match (and nothing else)... Was it a well-explained thing or the dumbest thing they've ever done?

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Okay...before I get to SmackDown Live...the 6 woman tag match at Backlash is horseshit!

Charlotte should have demanded a rematch and been given it...and Becky should have been a special
guest referee for that match while Nattie & the Pussycats (I'm not calling them by their WWE name...Fuck that!)
should have been put in a triple threat match for the number 1 contender spot.

So...at Backlash it should have been:

Naomi vs. Charlotte (with Becky as special guest ref) for the Women's Championship...
&
Natalya vs. Tamina vs. Carmella for the number 1 contender spot.

2 matches that continue the story and would allow the creative team to go in many different directions.

But...no...fuck it...6 woman tag match FTW!

Okay...so SmackDown tonight...let me see...
~ Natalya should stop talking...
~ Tamina isn't allowed to talk...
~ Becky is awesome...
~ Charlotte looked beautiful in her "Hell in a Cell" attire tonight...

tumblr_oi8um34_Udy1ug3f7no1_500.png

*Sigh*

And she sounded a lot less robotic during her promo...which is great...
~ I'm still hopeful for Charlotte vs. Becky for the title at SummerSlam...
~ The "snatching bald" thing doesn't work for me...and it doesn't make Naomi sound tough...
it makes her sound as if she wants to have a stereotypical cat fight.
~ Ellsworth can go have sex with a porcupine...
~ Becky & Charlotte would never touch Ellsworth...they have each other...(I SHIP IT!)

And the match itself...
~ I hate to be so negative...but Carmella is still greener than a golf course...she was awful in this match.
~ Her constant screaming and wailing is also fucking annoying...
~ And Naomi get pinned...clean...again. I swear...the SmackDown Women's title is fucking cursed.
Why can't champions be booked like champions and actually win matches?
~ So...does this mean Carmella is the Number 1 contender? They can't seriously be thinking of putting
the title on her right? Right? Put it on Natalya or just let Naomi win a fucking match!

I watched the talking smack segment and...it was okay...Charlotte & Becky made it worth watching.

So...I've heard the SmackDown creative is second guessing Charlotte's face turn...so...at Backlash they
could go with:

~ Charlotte abandons Becky & Naomi...leading to a Charlotte/Becky feud while Nattie and the Pussycats take
apart Naomi and Nattie (not Carmella) end up winning the belt.
~ The match plays out like normal and the face team win...
~ The match plays out like normal and the heel team win...(Thanks to Ellsworth)
~ Becky turns on Charlotte during the match...leading to a Charlotte/Becky feud while Nattie & the Pussycats
take apart Naomi and Nattie (not Carmella) ends up winning the belt.
~ Lana debuts and helps the heel team win...

All of that just sounds so...run of the mill...

Either way...its the only match I care about at Backlash because I'm over the men's and tag divisions...I just
can't be bothered anymore because every wrestler I care about either gets fucked over (Bray) or not even given a chance (Harper).

I'm done...

Last edited:

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
Jinder Mahal defeats Styles by pinfall. Assuming clean.
Consider me curious, watching tonight.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero2
AJ Styles: I'm one of the greatest and most beloved pro wrestlers of all-time, I've travelled all around the world and been the king of 90% of the promotions I've been in at some point, I've held countless championships and had countless classic matches, when you look for the G.O.A.T in the Pro Wrestling bible, it'll just be a picture of my face!

Jinder Mahal:
I ain't even actually indian

AJ Styles:
e12.png

Reactions: alexb

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
I heard about the result of the first match (and nothing else)... Was it a well-explained thing or the dumbest thing they've ever done?
Jinder Mahal defeats Styles by pinfall. Assuming clean.
Consider me curious, watching tonight.
It was fairly dirty, the Singh Brother tried to interfere, the ref managed to keep them away, but while he was distracted KO hit Styles with the title. Then came a cobra clutch slam, and one two three ding ding ding

MrEdzhuks

The Showoff
Reaction score
6/10

Ziggler had a good promo, I am pretty hype for that match between Dolph and Nakamura.
The Women's division stuff was cool.
Fashion Files was funny, but didn't care about the match whatsoever, practically same stuff as last week.
Did not give a damn about the main event.
Styles Vs Mahal was alright.
Where is Rusev, Tye and English??

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Huh... Was I just in a bad mood?
Thought this Smackdown... First negative grade I've given in a while. 2/10. Show actually felt like it dragged to me.

Okay, I've finally figured out my issues with the Jinder thing. It's that I'm okay with the push on paper, because the story feels like "Jinder's still a guy who cannot win a match, but now he's hired the assistance of the Bollywood Boys to cheat for him". All his matches in this push have been won via multiple interference spots, haven't they? Either 2 Bollywood distractions or an added extra person!?... But if that's the case, why bother talking out of both sides of your mouth? Why tell us with the match finishes that Jinder shouldn't be taken seriously while talking up how he should and he's done all these things and having him last 15 minutes in the ring with AJ Styles??

From a kayfabe standpoint, to me, this really hurt AJ Styles.
From an actual 2017 booking standpoint, this buried Jinder because AJ STYLES couldn't make him look good in a competitive match.

I see him compared to Sheamus and Jack Swagger with the forced pushes but even that's taking it lightly. Sheamus and Swagger were unknowns, randomly called up from ECW and put right at the top of the card. "Too soon" from a smark standpoint but these guys weren't established as being dog shit in storyline. They were brought in and supposed to be dominant from day one. Jinder's been booked as a guy who cannot win a match since day one. I'm okay with the idea of "He's getting a title shot because the Singh Brothers ran in and gave it to him" and this paper #1 contender's run, but they're trying their best to make us take him seriously otherwise and it's failing. Badly. Because he sucks.

Speaking of, the Colons. You revamp these guys, okay, now they're serious competitors on Smackdown and immediately show up and beat up American Alpha... twice, then the Alphas suddenly disappear. (I'm assuming backstage heat?)
Now the Colons are being beaten as easily as the Ascension in throwaway tag matches, why? Like the Fashion Files, like the Usos promo, like Breezango a lot, but why would you have the Colons essentially, as it looks right now, bury the hell out of American Alpha just to have them be yet another cannon fodder team in the SD tag division???

Speaking of breaths of air, the Women's division... I actually like this story a lot more than most. With the tale of "can Naomi and Becky trust Charlotte?" - leading to many possible match finishes at the PPV - and a face turn that will actually feel earned instead of just a switch flipping. But, I highly doubt any other fans see it this way. Like. not even one.

The main event sucked. Smackdown needs Rusev like a drowning man needs a breath of air

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
It was a serviceable go-home show. 6/10

Backlash should be good.