Rate Smackdown live 01/03/2017

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rate the first Smackdown of 2017!

• 0/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/10

• 2/10

• 3/10

• 4/10

• 5/10

• 6/10

• 7/10

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 8/10

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 9/10

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10/10

• Total voters

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Rate the first Smackdown Live of 2017 and let us know what you thought of the show!

Opening

Miz and Maryse were in the ring and Miz was typically talking about how great he was. After discussing Dean Ambrose's title shot tonight, he told the crowd he had one resolution for the New Year: to be more forgiving. He called out Renee Young. Instead Dean Ambrose came out. Miz left the ring and Maryse slapped Ambrose. Miz said the hard part of the night for Ambrose was over because Maryse hit harder than Miz.

Baron Corbin vs Dolph Ziggler

Baron Corbin defeated Dolph Ziggler by pin fall. After the match, Corbin went to get a chair. Kalisto came out to help Ziggler. Corbin tried to hit Kalisto but he hit Corbin, got the chair and challenged Corbin to come back. Corbin left. When Kalisto turned around, Ziggler hit him with a super kick and told Kalisto he didn't need his help.

Becky Lynch vs La Luchadora

Becky Lynch defeated La Luchadora by pin fall. She then unmasked La Luchadora and it was Alexa Bliss. The real La Luchadora then came from under the ring and attacked Lynch.

WWE Championship Contract Signing

This was moderated by Daniel Bryan. Cena came out first. AJ came out and questioned why Cena gets a title shot when he was gone for 4 months. Bryan said it was for ratings. Bryan wished them good luck and left the ring. AJ talked about Cena not belonging on Smackdown and that he needed the title win to prove himself. He signed the contract. Cena told AJ he made the biggest mistake of his life: pissing off John Cena. He said he lost all respect for AJ and trash talked him. After he finally signed the contract, Baron Corbin came out. Corbin announced his entry into the Royal Rumble. He argued with Cena, who flipped over the table and challenged Corbin. AJ attacked Cena and he and Corbin left.

Carmella vs Aliyah

Carmella defeated Aliyah by pin fall

American Alpha vs Breezango

American Alpha squashed Breezango

WWE Intercontinental Title Match: Champion the Miz vs Dean Ambrose

Dean Ambrose defeated the Miz by pin fall to become the new Intercontinental Champion

Reactions: Solidus1

Fireshock

THE INSTANT CLASSIC
Reaction score
Good start to 2017 for Smackdown.

Loved the AJ Cena segment, great back forth stuff between the two and it has got be really looking forward to their match so mission achieved.

Baron Corbin vs Dolph Ziggler: Solid match, finally Ziggler is heel at last. He has needed this for so long now, I could not get behind babyface Ziggler. Hopefully it does work out well for him. Oddly though I think I am becoming a fan of Baron Corbin yeah, I was not expecting that to happen.

American Alpha squashed Breezango: 30 seconds damn. But Wyatts vs Alpha be should good next week.

Carmella vs Aliyah: Not bad stuff, Alliyah looked decent. Very interested to see how this Carmella and Ellsworth angle goes.

IC title match: This match really highlighted to difference between how the IC title and the US title is presented. On Smackdown, the IC title has had some high-profile feuds, some interesting twists in storylines and good solid matches. While on RAW the US title is just there. Not I think Reigns should not be US champion, that is where he should be. But he has done nothing with the title after the feud with Rusev. Off topic note, but still thought I would mention it.

Anyway, the match was solid stuff, Ambrose winning surprised me. But it was nice.

Overall good Smackdown, I do watch both Raw and Smackdown the day after they airs. But with Raw I had to fast forward a lot, Smackdown went by like a click of a finger.

Also, watch this Smack Talk segment, this was just fantastic mic work :)

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
~ Okay...its time for the A-Show...SmackDown Live...And...here we go...

~ The Miz/Ambrose feud opens the show...and its a steady build to the Rumble match.

~ And Baron Corbin gets a win...(Can that be the last time he and Ziggler fight?)
and then Kalisto tries to help Ziggler...and Ziggler attacks Kalisto? Heel turn for DZ?

~ This Carmella/Ellsworth thing is kind of creeping me out...mainly because I'm now
jealous of Ellsworth. Although I'm sure Carmella would be more creeped out if I asked
her if I could smell her hair...

I mean...forget I typed that...next segment...

~ Ziggler attacks Apollo Crews now? What is going on? I think the feud with Miz broke
Dolph...

~ And now Becky Lynch will be seeing La Luchadora's in her nightmares...Seriously
can we have Becky suffer a "nervous breakdown" and then turn heel...perhaps she
starts setting fire to things...you know...straight fire and all.

But seriously WWE...have 3 appear next week...then 4 the week after that...and then
finally at the Rumble do the Mickie James reveal.

~ So...A.J Styles & Nikki Bella's Boyfriend are going to have their contract signing...
And that is a valid question...why does Mr. Part Time just get a title shot? May-be
Nikki organized it for him? Oh Cool...Baron Corbin is here to make things more metal...
Yes...Baron Corbin winning the Rumble would be awesome...I'd cheer for that.

This is good work SmackDown...keep pushing Baron.

~ So...I guess using Renee & Maryse in the Miz/Ambrose feud is okay...but...its
starting to feel like a Total Divas tie-in feud.

Can Renee wrestle? I know Maryse can...or did at one time...and Lana has been
training...but Renee?

~ Hey...its Aliyah from NXT...that's cool...can we get Liv Morgan on RAW next week?
It might help make their show more interesting. And Ellsworth helps Carmella...with the
Code of Silence getting the win...its the one submission hold I wouldn't mind being trapped
in...I mean while this seems like a strange pairing...it keeps Ellsworth away from anything
"important" and it allows Carmella to get more TV time...which is important. The young
talent must be pushed.

But Carmella really needs to ditch that Ellsworth face top...it reduces her overall
hotness by at least 27.2%

~ American Alpha squash the guy who dances and the guy who takes selfies...and...
Yeah...my boy Bray is here! And looks like your reign is going to be a short one
American Alpha cause the Wyatts are coming for you next week.

~ And...I'm already bored of this Nikki Bella/Natalya stuff...It would have been
so much better if it was Eva Marie or Mickie James who attacked Nikki...but what
can you do...and I'm sure Nikki Bella will win this "feud" cause you know they
are just trying to build momentum for her so they can throw the blue belt on her.

This is how the feud will end...

Nikki%2Bkills%2BNattie.gif

Is it wrong that this gif arouses me slightly?

And speaking of Nikki Bella...this was great...

and so was this...

Seriously John...just put a ring on her finger already!

~ And Hell Yeah...Dean Ambrose claims the IC Title from the Miz...but...you just
know that the Miz well get it back soon somehow...perhaps at the Rumble?

~ And once again...a show I care about with simple stories and developing characters
who actually make me care about what I'm watching. Thank you again SmackDown.

~ Although...I have 2 questions:
1). Where is Eva Marie? I can't believe I care...but bring back All Red Everything!
&
2). Where is Naomi? Am I the only one asking that?

Although with them currently M.I.A...we have seen Deonna Purrazzo & Aliyah so...silver
lining I guess.

Reactions: Solidus1

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I don't watch anymore but I'll take it by how it looks. 7/10

The title is back on Ambrose, which is good for him, he should have that belt, and it makes the Miz even better.

And something is now happening with Baron Corbin.... i would like to see what.... if he wins the rumble and he goes to wresltemania and wins... that would make him a monster

And talk about a heel turn on Ziggler, he takes out Kalisto (thats a favor right there, he needs a facelift) then gets on Crew's face (another favor... Crews is in need of character too)

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Unlike RAW, SmackDown kicked the year off with a bang and produced yet another good episode. 8/10

Positives:
- The opening segment with The Miz and Ambrose was good. It was on point, added something to the feud and didn't last 20 minutes. No complaints.

- Baron Corbin vs Dolph Ziggler was good. Both guys worked well together and Corbin seems to be stepping his game up, which I appreciate. The right guy won and I liked the post-match segment. It played off of Corbin's past issues with Kalisto, and also showed us Ziggler will be turning heel soon. Hell yeah!

- That Carmella/James Ellsworth segment was hilarious.

- La Luchadora/Becky stuff was alright.

- That Styles/Cena segment! :damn: That was great.

- Carmella vs Aliyah was OK and Ellsworth getting involved did an OK job of advancing their story.

- American Alpha vs Breezango was exactly what it needed to be. Looking forward to the rematch against The Wyatts next week.

- Nikki Bella knocking Nattie out saved the segment from being bad for me.

- Dean Ambrose vs The Miz was a pretty darn good ME. And, holy crap, Ambrose won the title! I did not see that coming.

Negatives:
- None.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I really didn't expect Dean to win it on SDLive but that was a pretty good match.

I hate Tyler Breeze jobbing like that but AA looked strong as they needed to and next week is gonna be amazing.

Aliyah looks a whole lot better than she did on breaking grounds. She actually had a bit of ring charisma even and didn't botch anything too bad. In a weird way I was impressed.

I actually liked seeing Miz on screen! (and not just because of Maryse) but they build up was awesome and timed well throughout the night.

Corbin match was pretty good too, I see why the guy's been picking up steam.

That Cena, Styles segment was awesome. Cena definitely dipping into his go to lines a lot but there was a lot of energy and Baron Corbin was alright on the mic, he just needs to time his dramatic pauses a little bit better.

Nikki Bella - Natalya thing I didn't really care for, it looked like idle chatter than an actual promo throw down. But I didn't expect Natalya to throw Bret under the bus though lol. Wonder if WWE made her do that to piss him off. :vince3:

Overall I'd say 7/10.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I think it was totally premature that they put the title on Ambrose so quick. I think Smackdown got a little excited about the ratings against Raw that they wanted to put in another title change.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
I gave it a 9. I enjoyed the show thoroughly. And it went by fast as hell

alexb

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Negatives:
- None.

Well...there was a little thing shortly before the main event and I mean the bimbo that tried to grab a last minute interview with Ambrose as he was heading for the ring, asking him how he feels about the ch...ch...ch...ch...ch...uhh..ch...ch...ch...championshi opportunity...:bubba:

Like, where do they find these jewels? :idk:

The show itself, as always delivered....7/10

• Haha
Reactions: Grievous 3D

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Lol she also had a tough time with intercontinental. As soon as ambrose walked away the look on her face was "well... I'm fired" lol

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Well...there was a little thing shortly before the main event and I mean the bimbo that tried to grab a last minute interview with Ambrose as he was heading for the ring, asking him how he feels about the ch...ch...ch...ch...ch...uhh..ch...ch...ch...championshi opportunity...
Shouldn't Renee Young be doing these backstage interviews? I mean...
she is great at her job...and a face all "true" fans recognize...
Like, where do they find these jewels?
Well...according to Lord of the Shoot Jim Cornette...they
most likely pick them out of lingerie catalogues...lol

Was this the same woman who called James Ellsworth James Ellis?

If so fire her!!!

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Didn't watch RAW this week but it was nice to see SD bring in the new year with a solid product.. 8/10

Pumped for AA vs Wyatts next week.

Oh man Ambrose winning the IC was nice, I'm interested to see what Miz does after this feud with Dean ends. I'm assuming a World Title shot isn't too far away for Mr. Real World.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Well...there was a little thing shortly before the main event and I mean the bimbo that tried to grab a last minute interview with Ambrose as he was heading for the ring, asking him how he feels about the ch...ch...ch...ch...ch...uhh..ch...ch...ch...championshi opportunity...:bubba:

Like, where do they find these jewels? :idk:

The show itself, as always delivered....7/10

Yeah, I remember that. Her name's Dasha Fuentes and it ain't her first time making mistakes. Oh, well. They should trade RAW's gorgeous Charly Caruso for her, tbh.