Rashad Evans Vs Phil Davis Set For UFC On Fox 2

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Rashad Evans and Phil Davis will meet in a light heavyweight bout slated for Jan. 28.

The fight, which multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.com, will take place at UFC on Fox 2, the promotion's second show on the network.

It's not the first time the UFC has booked this matchup. The two were scheduled to meet in August at UFC 133 in Philadelphia, but that bout fell through when Davis suffered a knee injury.

Evans (16-1-1) will look to solidify his place as the No. 1 contender at 205 pounds. He's currently riding a three-fight win streak, including a second-round TKO win over late-replacement Tito Ortiz in August.

The former champion had been next in line to fight title-holder Jon Jones following that win, but had to postpone the opportunity due to a hand injury. Jones is scheduled to defend the belt against Lyoto Machida on Dec. 10.

For Davis (9-0), Evans represents easily the biggest test of his young career. The former collegiate wrestler is 4-0 in the UFC and coming off a unanimous decision win over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in March.

The Evans-Davis fight is expected to headline the UFC on Fox 2 card, which takes place at the United Center in Chicago

MMAnews.com

HUGE fight right there.

Ben

Reaction score
Yea big fight and this card is shaping up to be a really solid show. Hopefully Rashad can make it through camp injury free.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah this card is really PPV quality, so it's awesome that we're going to get it for free. Even the UFC FX1 card is shaping up nicely now.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
January is going to be insane for the UFC. January 14th, UFC 142 in Brazil, January 20th, UFC FX1, January 28th UFC Fox 2.

Ben

Reaction score
Yea the amount of card there putting out is top notch, plus there's tons of fights on free TV for US Viewers, if you include prelims that are going to air there's more good fights on free TV than every before.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah it's going to be crazy, the next few months to be an MMA fan is going to be awesome.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Awesome match-up. I am a Davis fan and it is good to see him against some top competition to see where his standing is in the division and to see if he is ready for Jones yet. Will basically be a number one contender fight and I hope that Davis can get the job done. Great choice for the Fox card because this should be a quality fight that lasts a decent amount of time.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
No doubt about it, i was pumped for this fight when it was originally going to happen over the summer so I'm wicked excited to see it next month

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Very bad matchmaking by the UFC.....

Think about all the criticism MMA gets about "two men lying on each other for 15mins" (Im sure youve all heard it), then look at these two guys styles. This has all the makings of an epic bore.

Couple that with the trashing they got for the first Fox show, and you have a ready made disaster.

Its a significant fight in the division, but a very poor spectacle to watch.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I don't think that this will be a bore at all. I do think that there is a good chance it will go the distance but I don't think it will be a boring fight. It should be an exciting three rounds as I can't see either guy just trying to lay on the other to ground out a decision win.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah i don't think it'll be boring, In my opinion i don't think any MMA fight could be boring nobody really knows what's going to happen every fight is unpredictable. For all we know Rashad could go out there and walk into a right kick to the face and get Ko'd in the first round.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I have seen a few boring MMA fights over the years but if there is a good ref then they will stand them up if they are just laying on the ground and will keep the fight moving.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah i mean there's the occasional fight, but for this particular fight i don't see it being the case.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
It's like, the Machida/Jones fight is next weekend, this fight could very well decide the true number one contender for whoever has the belt so i think both guys are going to lay it all on the line, especially in Rashads case as he and Jones have developed a feud as of late.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Are you serious.....

Rashad's whole game is wrestlefucking to decisions, just look at his fights with Rampage, Bonnar, Bisping and even Tito, utter snoozefests. Hes a spoiler like GSP, aims to shut it down as a fight so you arent a threat standing up...the Machida KO shook him up and made him a boring fighter. He doesnt even go for transitions or subs half the time...

Phil Davis is hardly thrilling to watch too.

Its playing to their strengths, and its smart, but its not crowd pleasing at all.

I dont see it being anything other than dull, IMO.