Randy Couture Thinks Hendo Could Deal With Jon Jones' Reach

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Most people will be picking Rashad Evans to win his upcoming UFC on Fox 2 battle against Phil Davis, both because he appears to hold a general advantage over Davis and also because it would finally open the door for the Evans-Jon Jones grudge match that fans have been clamoring for since this summer.

At least one man is hoping for the Phil Davis upset though and that's Dan Henderson, the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ who recently put on a fight of the decade performance against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 139 and will almost certainly be the next in line to face Bones should Evans come up short against Davis.

The 41-year-old bruiser has been on a tear lately, compiling a four-fight winning streak that includes the aforementioned victory over Rua, as well as complete starchings of Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante and Fedor Emelianenko. Henderson plies his trade on the strength of serious wrestling chops and dynamite-packed fists and, though Jon Jones has run through every seasoned veteran put in his path, Henderson's longtime friend and training partner Randy Couture recently told ESPN UK that he doesn't see Hendo having the same issues that Jones' other opponents have with his reach and creativity.

"It'd be interesting to see Danny against Jon Jones," said Couture. "At the ripe old age of 40 Danny is coming into his own. He's firing on all cylinders right now.

"He's got a tremendous wrestling background, he's got one of the best right hands in the sport, it'd be interesting to see how he'd deal with Jon and how Jon would deal with him. I don't see reach being a huge issue. I don't see Jon being able to stay on the outside and pick Dan apart. There's going to have to be an engagement at some point in that cage and we'd get to see what type of punch Jon can take."

Henderson will find out where exactly he stands in the light heavyweight division when Evans and Davis do battle this January 28 at UFC on Fox 2.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Hendo vs. Jones would be real good and I agree with Randy. Hendo would have a little trouble with the reach but not as much as the others cause of his style of fight would cause for more of an engagement which means Jones won't be able to keep back for too long. Plus that right hand... is very very lethal. Ask Bisping :p

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
That thing has its own mailing address that the mailman is afraid of. The house doesn't even have a lock on the door nor a guard dog but nobody would dare try to enter uninvited or else... BAM and you are out. That is Hendo's right hand. It'd make Chuck Norris nervous.

Reactions: 1 person

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Dunno about the reach, but Jones is too quick for it to be a contest.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I agree I don't think Hendo will have the speed to stop Jones. Jones should be able to get out of the way quickly and keep himself out of harms way.