Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante Wants Title Shot With Win Over Romero

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
feijao_large.png
Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante has been waiting to hear who he was going to fight next for a while, but the wait is over. Strikeforce announced earlier today that he'll be facing debuting Cuban Olympic wrestler Yoel Romero, and Feijao is ready. He spoke to Tatame about the bout and where he stands in the Strikeforce light heavyweight division. On his September 10th fight:

"It’s all right, it’ll happen… I’m crazy to fight again. I’ve been preparing myself for a while now, I was just waiting for them to match me up with someone", says Cavalcante, relieved.

"I don’t undermine anyone. I’m preparing to do the worst fight of my life, especially since I’m coming from a loss", said, complimenting his opponent. "He’s a tough guy, complete, he moves his feet a lot and is a good wrestler".​
He's also taking the time to prepare for the fact that Romero is a southpaw:

"He’s a lefty, so we have to pick the lefties of our team, like Anderson and Rogerio, and I’m getting used to it… I can’t wait to fight again".

Feijao lost his title to Dan Henderson in his last fight at the aptly-named Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson in March, but he feels that with a win here, he's right back in contention:

"My biggest wish is to have a chance at the title again, independent of who I have to fight. After this fight, I want my title shot. I’m on the top 3 of the event, and I hope I have this chance".

Is Feijao right back in the title hunt with a win over a 4-0 prospect? Normally I'd say no, but the Strikeforce light heavyweight division isn't exactly stacked with stars. It's a definite possibility.