Paula Patton Cast in Sparkle Remake

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
While speaking earlier today at the American Black Film Festival, actress Paula Patton revealed to the crowd that she has been offered a role in the Brock and Salim Akil (The Game, Girlfriends) remake of the classic 1976 film “Sparkle.â€￾

Paula did not confirm which role she might play in the film or even if she had signed on. What she did confirm however is that producers specifically had her in mind from the beginning.
So which role might Paula play? I put my money on the part of Sista. Despite the film being named after the lead character Sparkle, it is the role of Sista that is the most memorable and clearly the most pivotal to cast.
Personally Paula never crossed my mind. I assumed they would look to cast people who were relatively young and able to pass as school age kids. Clearly the Akil’s are not going to remake “Sparkleâ€￾ to the letter or else a near 40 year old Patton would not have been chosen.
Despite her age however, I like the casting of Patton and look forward to seeing who is offered the part of Stix and Sparkle.

Kairi

Reaction score
Actresses Tika Sumpter and Carmen Ejogo are the latest names to be announced as stars of the upcoming ‘Sparkle’ remake by Salim and Mara Brock Akil.

Carmen, probably best known for her role as Alean in the HBO original movie Lackawanna Blues, will play the role of Sista, while Tika will take on
the role of Delores.

Cee-Lo Green will play a singer who serves as the girl’s opening act.

The part of Stix Warren will be played by actor Derek Luke, with Jordin Sparks playing the role of Sparkle and
Whitney Houston rounding out the cast as the girl’s mother. http://brownsista.com/tika-sumpter-...-to-play-the-role-of-sista-in-sparkle-remake/

Editor’s Note: Though I’m not fond of Derek Luke as Stix, the addition of Sumpter as Delores and Ejogo as Sista, is nothing short of brilliant.

Ejogo, wife of actor Jeffrey Wright, was amazing in Lackawanna Blues and is an excellent choice to play the role of Sista. Kudos to the Akils for bringing her on.

As for Sumpter, she is on fire due to her roles on ‘Gossip Girl’ and ‘The Game.’ No doubt ‘Sparkle’ will up her profile even more. FYI: I have gotten a peek at the script and it is a complete re-write. The Delores Sumpter will play is nothing like the one in the original.