Paul Daley talks Strikeforce Title Shot, Nick Diaz, Josh Koscheck

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
paul-daley_large_large.gif
Paul "Semtex" Daley was a guest on ESPN UK's UFC podcast recently, and covered a lot in the interview. His major topics of discussion were the vacant Strikeforce welterweight title, his fight with Nick Diaz and a possible rematch, and rival Josh Koscheck. As usual, Daley doesn't hold back much and tells it like it is. First off, he thinks his fight July 30th fight with Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos should be for the vacant title:

"Nothing's been said but, to me, it makes sense," Daley said on the ESPN UFC Podcast. "Nick Diaz vacates the title, we were the last two guys to contend for the Strikeforce welterweight title, so it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

"I would suggest, if I was promoting it, that the next fight is for the title."

While it does make sense it seems to leave Tyron Woodley, who expected to get the next title shot against Diaz before he vacated the belt, out in the cold. After that, he moved on to his April TKO loss to Diaz, and how he thinks the fight was stopped prematurely:

"A different ref, a different day... we've recently seen the Jose Aldo v Mark Hominick fight, we've seen the Shane Carwin v Junior Dos Santos fight. Those guys were in far greater trouble than I was and the fight was allowed to go on."

John McCarthy refereed the Hominick fight and let it continue, but he was different with me. He stopped it with three seconds to go, yet when I landed six shots after Diaz face-planted he didn't even bat an eyelid. There's frustration about that because I think McCarthy is a good ref, but there is no consistency.

If you're gonna let a fight continue when Hominick's got a big f***ing lump on his head and on numerous times he's in bad spots, you can't stop a championship shot with three seconds to go. I had my guard up, I was kicking Diaz's legs... had Herb Dean been refereeing I think the fight would have been allowed to continue."

Once the topic switched to Josh Koscheck, Daley managed to be a little more diplomatic in regards to the punch he threw at him after their bout at UFC 113:

"[The punch ] is a bit hard to comment on... but I would have thought I could have thrown a better punch and knock him out, given that Koscheck wasn't expecting it!" quipped Daley.

When asked about a bizarro world scenario where he coached The Ultimate Fighter against Kos, Daley offered this up:

"[TUF] would be good! That would be very interesting. Would Dana White let it happen? I doubt it. I don't mind TV, I don't mind going up against Koscheck. My season would definitely be interesting because I say things how they are. I don't play up for the cameras. It would be funny."

As mentioned above, Semtex will step into the cage next against Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos on July 30th at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson.