Ortiz talks split with Santana

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
f4qbfyiwuaaecrr.webp

Ortiz says his tag team with Mike Santana split up because his partner was "very adamant" about not working with him anymore.

Ortiz appeared on today's episode of The Shining Wizards podcast and spoke about what led to the team's break up and the program they worked together on Rampage feeling "kind of rushed."

He said:

Unfortunately, it wasn’t the company’s call to split us. Me and Santana just couldn’t get it together personally and he just was very adamant about not working with me anymore, for whatever reason. So, the company kind of had no choice but to split us up.
So they’re like, ‘Okay, you’re not going to just not tag, it doesn’t make any sense. Let’s at least make this make sense why you split.' But even when we did it on TV, it just ended up, I feel like, being kind of rushed and you know what I mean? Due to stuff that was going on backstage and it was making it hard to really put forward a program.

Earlier in the conversation, Ortiz mentioned that there had been plans on more than one occasion for Proud N Powerful to win the AEW Tag Team Championships but it never panned out.

Ortiz said:

We could have forced a hand a little bit more where we did have the opportunities that we had. I can't completely blame the company because there was talks about (us winning the tag titles) but it was almost like it was never the right time. It just wasn't our time and it was just because we were always intertwined with a huge storyline with the Inner Circle and it would have been hard to like sway off and do our own tag thing and go after the tag titles.
It was actually supposed to happen more than once but just due to stuff out of our control, or out of my control, it just never seemed to pan out.
It's not like those people on the internet that were clamoring for us to be tag team champions, it was noticed by the people in AEW and above. It almost happened two times, it just never panned out. I won't get into the weeds of things only because I think I'll get in trouble if I do.

Neither Santana nor Ortiz has wrestled in AEW since they faced each other at the October 25 Rampage taping. Santana won the no-disqualification match in just over 10 minutes. Our own Dave Meltzer gave the match a four-star rating.

Reactions: Cwalker

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Not since Desus and Mero have I felt something about a break up.

Daddy Dom

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
Maybe put Ortiz with someone like Sammy or something? It's a shame he has nothing to do to due to Santana but if he don't want it, maybe use both as singles guys on ROH?