Opinion - Why a Punk Jericho program is not only a good thing, it's needed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Rumors of Punk's return to the company have heated up and even, according to some like Andrew Zarian, is even "official" to the point of letting Warner know he is coming back. This piece won't touch too much on placing blame, insulting or dunking on any side. The point of this is more to talk about how the latest rumors of when he is coming back and the first program he will have, and why I actually think it's a very smart solution.

Let's get into it. The current hot rumors (maybe more than rumors tbh) are that this week, Chris Jericho and CM Punk are going to have meetings to try to a) squash some of the current personal issues between them and b) work a program together. It has been reported that Jericho is down to do it if they can settle some beef. Seems like Punk also really wants to be given a second chance. It seems like unless another public meltdown happens, this is more than likely being greenlit this week and maybe goes all the way through to All In being where the One on One happens.

The fan reaction I have observed thus far has ranged from upset to indifferent. I haven't seen much excitement, even though I think that they are two great performers with extremely good mic skills, this should be very entertaining. But, I'd like to dive into why I think this is happening and why it could be good (or bad) for the company.

1) CM Punk needs to "eat crow" - Due to the injury, Punk has not had to face any official reprimand from the company. Maybe he has and we don't know, but no reports or public statements have been made to allude to any such thing. In contrast, members of the Elite missed 6 weeks of television. This included Kenny Omega missing AEW's Canadian debut in Toronto. This is an optics problem. Ideally, this could be resolved by Punk doing a quick job to Omega or Hangman, or the bucks in a a multiman. However, we know atm, that the Elite are apprehensive to work with Punk. Understandable. So who could Punk take an L to that would show good will? Enter Chris Jericho, perceived lockeroom leader and outspoken Punk critic. Man is respected by a large portion of the locker room and management. This makes a lot of sense to me.

2) CM Punk, right now, isn't trusted by not only the locker room, but a portion of the AEW fan base. Since no public apologies were made and AEW has refused to talk about it, there is an undeniable trust issue when it comes to CM Punk. Fans, like myself, don't really trust him to not go off if he becomes unhappy with something again. This was also re-aggravated when Punk chose to take his grievances with a Meltzer forum post on Instagram. People have also not forgotten the press conference and the Hangman revenge promo. These things simply CANNOT EVER HAPPEN AGAIN. I think even the most die hard Punk fan would capitulate on this as well, it just cannot happen anymore, ever. What does this have to do with Jericho you ask? Everything! It is a well known fact that Punk and Jericho do not like each other and especially in the last year, have not gotten along and have both publicly been outspoken about the other. A Punk and Jericho program, especially if extended, is a test. Jericho can assess how Punk is reacting and acting during said program. AEW can observe to see if Punk follows the script and remains professional. If successful, it would build what we need atm, TRUST, between performers that they don't have to like each other, but they do have to respect each other and the script. From the Punk POV, it also shows to him that AEW is willing to give him another chance in a high profile program. opening the doors to future programs if he behaves. and well, if it fails and he goes off, Jericho won't be taking the PR hit The Elite did because he's way , way beyond that and is pretty much teflon in the industry.

3) Blood feuds sell tickets. Everyone knows these two guys despise each other. Fans have already taken sides in this for a while. People in the IWC like to shit on Jericho but they will also all watch this with baited breath, regardless who's side they are on. Controversy creates cash and both these dudes are controversial af for different reasons. Some people will want to see Jericho get his ass kicked. Others will want Punk to eat crow and eat a pin on a big stage to prove he's a team guy. Everyone watching this will have a strong opinion by the time the feud culminates. This is a co main event potential match at All In, and it will draw big time.

4) It keeps Punk far , far away from the world title while making his return feud still feel big time. Much like the feud with MJF, no title will be involved, but it will be personal as hell. Punk needs to feel like a big deal still, for the money they are paying out. You can't have him go through a bunch of young guys again, that would be boring. He will be coming in with a ton of fanfare. This feud makes sense for that.

5) The Elite can also observe from afar without being involved or dragged through the mud again, and can continue their white hot angle vs BCC. I think cooling that off for a Punk return would be short sighted as hell. You can have your cake and eat it too, and have more than one hot program. Especially with another two hour show

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this. Tried to be as objective as possible in this analasis.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I disagree
feel like sharing your thoughts on why? (no this is not a trap or invitation for debate, I am just curious as to why)

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
It would make the company and everyone involved a lot of money. Wrestling angles can be done extremely well when tat sense of realism is there.

Can they all put their egos aside and decide to be mature enough to work together ! I don’t know but they would all be idiotic not to

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
trusting people to put their egos aside are also how we got some of the best moments in the business as well. There is absolutely risk involved though, there is no doubt there. I do think Jericho will do it, he's either proven right or he makes a ton of money off the angle and the company thrives. If it doesn't work out, I do think in the end, it will be fine. He can't really lose in this situation.

In my opinion, the post Punk stuff really didn't hurt the brand as much as people say. Viewership did suffer a bit, but I also do think that there's a multitude of factors involved in that. Some of it was missing some key players, which was a direct result of Punk. But I think people do under play that WWE got red hot with Vince leaving and competent booking while AEW didn't do the best job pivoting. Competition on TV has also been stiffer this year and AEW being less hot led to them being beat by sports a lot. I don't think it's fair to put all that on Punk being gone, I don't think he magically brings in 200k a week every week forever either, the creative is either good or it's not.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
He may not bring in 200K but I think it’s reasonable to say he pulls 75K; maybe more.

But you’re right when you said there was no backup plan or course adjustments. So when shit went sideways, we saw what we should’ve expected. A young booker who wasn’t prepared to call audibles. The product suffered and viewership suffered. And 8-9 months later, they’re still trying to get out that hole somewhere.

Hence why TK needs to tease an announcement every 3-4 weeks to pop a decent number

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
the announcements are routinely the lowest rated segment of the show, so that trope/joke isn't factually correct. And they are doing much better lately objectively. They retained 99% of their viwership on a night of two play in games. Still pretty good. I think the ratings games is not really the be all end all, either, because context is king. WWE lost 400k+ viewers last raw but no one batted at eye because it was always logically going to go down after Mania.

But you aren't wrong that they haven't quite gotten white hot again. I'd say they have quite the opportunity for that to change this summer however, with WWE storylines cooling off and the England show, the momentum is there for the taking. And no I am not talking about beating WWE or any of that sillyness, just a good opportunity for AEW to showcase itself and get more exposure. I think they can do it with or without Punk, but I think Punk obviously helps.

edit: and to add to that, the two hour show I think would help them get hotter storylines. every storyline is on a one week on one week off often because they have to rotate people in and out. it hurts the momentum overall which wasnt a problem in y1 and y2 with a smaller roster

Last edited:

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Even though I’ve soured on Jericho quite a bit in recent years and he’s my least favorite part of the show, I would be down for this. Of course I’d be rooting for Punk during it all.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
Rooting for Jericho to pin Punk in a few seconds for the internet to explode in rage

But I agree with Jeff. I don't want to see the BCC vs Elite feud just cooled off and randomly end to insert a CMFTR feud especially if The Elite aren't into the idea of working with Punk atm. Give me the feud I am loving and we will see how Punk reacts to feuding with Jericho. Tho have Sammy pin Punk cause the rage online would be funnier

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
The following opinions are and may contain statements from a bias, a subjective, and a objective viewpoint. All opinions expressed are my mine, and not a character.
1) CM Punk needs to "eat crow" - Due to the injury, Punk has not had to face any official reprimand from the company. Maybe he has and we don't know, but no reports or public statements have been made to allude to any such thing. In contrast, members of the Elite missed 6 weeks of television. This included Kenny Omega missing AEW's Canadian debut in Toronto. This is an optics problem. Ideally, this could be resolved by Punk doing a quick job to Omega or Hangman, or the bucks in a a multiman. However, we know atm, that the Elite are apprehensive to work with Punk. Understandable. So who could Punk take an L to that would show good will? Enter Chris Jericho, perceived lockeroom leader and outspoken Punk critic. Man is respected by a large portion of the locker room and management. This makes a lot of sense to me.
I do agree Punk needs to eat crow and drop the shit and move on, but in reality, he won't because he is a arrogant, know it all, prick. Who believes he is the proclaimed god of wrestling. At the same time, and I love Kenny Omega as I have made that pretty clear, The Elite needs to drop their shit and move on as well, but again I know how they work, and I know they can act like Punk. I would dive more into that, but there is just so much history I would have to post/remember. I know, everyone is aware of my feeling about Jericho, but him and Punk would/could be a interesting feud. Just one problem. Egos and fandom. It is no secret that these men have some of the most rabid and hive minded fans in the world, I do apologize to anyone who reads this and doesn't follow that exactly but I speak about what I see and experience.

So, if Jericho is the one to work with Punk, and they want it to work well then a couple of things need to be done. First being no real life shit in the feud because all you do is end up becoming WCW/WWF in the 90s/00s and NWA-TNA/TNA. Second being don't fuel the god damn dirtsheets. Third have Jericho punish Punk, if you remember the Shota and G1 storyline for when he came back to New Japan than you know what I am talking. Fourth don't bring in real life shit.
2) CM Punk, right now, isn't trusted by not only the locker room, but a portion of the AEW fan base. Since no public apologies were made and AEW has refused to talk about it, there is an undeniable trust issue when it comes to CM Punk. Fans, like myself, don't really trust him to not go off if he becomes unhappy with something again. This was also re-aggravated when Punk chose to take his grievances with a Meltzer forum post on Instagram. People have also not forgotten the press conference and the Hangman revenge promo. These things simply CANNOT EVER HAPPEN AGAIN. I think even the most die hard Punk fan would capitulate on this as well, it just cannot happen anymore, ever. What does this have to do with Jericho you ask? Everything! It is a well known fact that Punk and Jericho do not like each other and especially in the last year, have not gotten along and have both publicly been outspoken about the other. A Punk and Jericho program, especially if extended, is a test. Jericho can assess how Punk is reacting and acting during said program. AEW can observe to see if Punk follows the script and remains professional. If successful, it would build what we need atm, TRUST, between performers that they don't have to like each other, but they do have to respect each other and the script. From the Punk POV, it also shows to him that AEW is willing to give him another chance in a high profile program. opening the doors to future programs if he behaves. and well, if it fails and he goes off, Jericho won't be taking the PR hit The Elite did because he's way , way beyond that and is pretty much teflon in the industry.
And rightfully so. You don't go on TV and shoot off like a cowboy and except nothing to happened. How can i trust you if you are known to be a snake and someone who likes to shoot off and all. As for the fans, again I have made my opinon on them pretty well known, in that I think a lot of wreslting are just hive minded, fickle or extremly tribal. Again, if you don't fall into that idea then cool. The apology thing is a dea dhorse to me right now. What I mainly want from Punk is him to quiet acting like a victim/a bitch and own his fuck up. You seem to be stating my previous point of "leave real life shit out" so I can praise that. At this point, you are making Jericho the Jumbo of AEW, which I can see honestly, and I do see where Jericho and Punk would be a benfitcial thing. As you said, it is a great progarm and if both men follow suite and work together than it could ease everyone else up to Punk minus those who have obvious problems, but again you can be civil. BUt then the problem you run into is after it is done and all will Punk keep following suite, be helpful and talk to his next feud, or will he just shoot off and we are back at square one.
3) Blood feuds sell tickets. Everyone knows these two guys despise each other. Fans have already taken sides in this for a while. People in the IWC like to shit on Jericho but they will also all watch this with baited breath, regardless who's side they are on. Controversy creates cash and both these dudes are controversial af for different reasons. Some people will want to see Jericho get his ass kicked. Others will want Punk to eat crow and eat a pin on a big stage to prove he's a team guy. Everyone watching this will have a strong opinion by the time the feud culminates. This is a co main event potential match at All In, and it will draw big time.
I agree, but there is all teh dirtsheet shit and IWC shit and more to worry about. If you wnat the feud to work, you would have to tell Jericho and Punk to stay slient, don;t leak shit, don;t fuel shit, and if asked about certain things just ignore it. I know people are done with me talking about Japanese Wreslting, but if a blood feud goes off scripit you end up having a match like Act and Yoshiko, and no one wants to see that. The feud whould be more based on the story presented and everything and not the IWC/Meltzer bullshit that tribal fans love to eat and all.
4) It keeps Punk far , far away from the world title while making his return feud still feel big time. Much like the feud with MJF, no title will be involved, but it will be personal as hell. Punk needs to feel like a big deal still, for the money they are paying out. You can't have him go through a bunch of young guys again, that would be boring. He will be coming in with a ton of fanfare. This feud makes sense for that.
I agree on this will keep far away from the title, something I like, but on the other side if he follows suite and does well and all then he could get back into the picture slowly. And like I mentione dbefore, I like the idea of Jericho just putting Punk through hell and making him "break" and then Punk rebuilds. That is a old story, but one when done right is amazing. I would name example fo this, but it is froma Deathmatch promotion that no one would know.
5) The Elite can also observe from afar without being involved or dragged through the mud again, and can continue their white hot angle vs BCC. I think cooling that off for a Punk return would be short sighted as hell. You can have your cake and eat it too, and have more than one hot program. Especially with another two hour show
Look, I am going to be real The Eltie v BCC is only exicting to me becaus eof the idea of Kenny v Byran and that is it. Hangman and Eddie would have fun as well, but I dont think that will happen. So yeah, once that is done and things cool and everyone is fine and dandy, and punk is willing to help/work without being and vice versa on The Elite then sure begin CMFTR v The Elite and blah blah blah.

My overall point is that I am so fucking done with all this shit. It is literally grown fucking men acting like kids, or even worse to some degree. I just want wreslting to be wreslting and not AEW: Days of Our Lives presents Dirtsheet Drama and IWC Bitching, if you catch my dirft. And would I enjoy Jericho v Punk? No, I hate both men as well known, but I am not going to shit on completly because I know other fans would enjoy it. So yeah, there is my opinion and all. I am sure someone/body will have something to say, but at this point you would be wasting your time as I am just done, or I may read your post but not reply. i am just being honest. Thnak you for tuning for the "Sasha rants hour" and thanks to our sponsor Manscaped for sponsoring this rant

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I certainly share your skeptism especially on the "keeping real shit out of it" and the Punk "has a big ego and can't help it" much like it's hard for the Bucks to not be trolls. I also agree some fans from both fandoms will ruin it with their toxic bullshit. I appreciate you going every point and agreeing with some and disagreeing with others. I also agree with you no one wants to see another Act type shoot ever (though two old ass wannabe tough guys would be funny in fantasy)

Reactions: Alexa

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Worked shoots are always disappointing because people want to see an actual fight......Miz and Bryan is the most recent example of this. What exactly would be the point of having these people cut "shoot" promos that ends in a fake fight?

Making a work out of a shoot worked once.....and it was because there were real world consequences and that was the birth of Mr McMahon.

Also feuding with Jericho is basically AEW's version of facing Bray Wyatt......no one gets overs because of it and usually ends with the other guy needing character rehab.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
I am deffo in the camp of keep real life shit out of the TV programmes at this point. Getting more and more bad worked shoots in wrestling these last few years. I do not need Jericho and Punk "shooting" on each other real or fake. If you do the feud, keep it a kayfabe story