Olympic wrestling champion Tamyra Mensah-Stock signs with WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
i

Tamyra Mensah-Stock, who made history at the Tokyo Olympics, is hanging up her amateur wrestling shoes -- only to pick up a pair of professional wrestling boots and join WWE.

WWE officials told ESPN on Tuesday that the promotion had signed wrestling gold medalist Mensah-Stock to a contract. Mensah-Stock was the Olympic champion at 68 kilograms at the Tokyo Games in 2021, becoming the first Black woman to win gold in freestyle wrestling.

Mensah-Stock, 30, had been talking publicly about going to WWE after winning gold in 2021 but remained in amateur wrestling, winning the 2022 world championship in Belgrade, Serbia, for her second world title.

In 2021, Mensah-Stock came in third place in the world championships and continued on because of that finish.

"I didn't want to end my career on that note," Mensah-Stock said. "So I did another world championships, I wiped the floor with everybody, and I was like, 'Man, this is not fun anymore. I need a change.' Something in the back of my head that's just been itching at me, a dream of mine for I don't know how long. I just wanted to be in the WWE."

Tamyra Mensah-Stock has considered a future in WWE for years and formally began her training this week. Grace Hollars/USA Today Sports
The Texas resident will start in WWE's developmental program. Mensah-Stock reported Monday to the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida, she told ESPN. Her goal is to make WWE's main roster within one year.

"I love watching the athletes just in the ring, just going what they do best," Mensah-Stock said. "I just see their personalities just shine through the television, and I see their strength. Just everything about them resembles me, and I've just wanted to be a part of that."

Mensah-Stock said she did think briefly about competing in mixed martial arts, but she wasn't sure what weight class she would have been natural in and didn't necessarily think it would be a good fit.

"I don't like the idea of potentially getting submitted and an arm broken or aggressiveness like that," she said. "I really just don't want to make weight anymore, let's just be honest."

Another Tokyo gold medalist, Gable Steveson, has been signed with WWE since 2021 and has been in the developmental program. He recently returned to amateur wrestling and is expected to try to make the Olympic team again for the 2024 Paris Games.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Was she the one that came out with Gable Steveson at SummerSlam I think it was that one time who was insanely charismatic compared to Gable?

Reactions: Storm Trooper

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Was she the one that came out with Gable Steveson at SummerSlam I think it was that one time who was insanely charismatic compared to Gable?
From what I was reading on Reddit, that seems right.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I thought she shoulda been signed right then she was great in front of the live crowd

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3

I remember really liking her enthusiasm a lot. Happy for her that she’ll get to live out her dream.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Only downside is she is 30 but thats young in todays game

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Olympic gold medalist Tamyra Mensah-Stock is progressing well on the road to her in-ring debut.

The new edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter includes an update on Mensah-Stock's WWE Performance Center training. Dave Meltzer reports that he's been told Mensah-Stock is "doing great' and is taking to pro wrestling naturally.

Reports on Olympic gold medalist Tamyra Mensah-Stock, who was the actual biggest name recent signing but has not debuted yet, are very strong. We’re told she’s doing great and taking to pro wrestling like a fish to water
The 30-year-old Mensah-Stock signed with WWE this May. In 2021, she made history at the Tokyo Olympics by becoming the first Black woman to ever win a gold medal in women's freestyle wrestling.

During interviews surrounding the Tokyo Olympics, Mensah-Stock expressed interest in becoming a pro wrestler and joining WWE. She told ESPN this May that signing with WWE was a dream come true.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
She's a beast.....WWE attracting more Olympians is better than some shlubs from armories.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles