Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Does Obama deserve it?

• yea, he rules

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, it sucks

• undecided

• Total voters

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize. Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said in a statement.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

He specifically mentioned Mr Obama's work to strengthen international institutions and work towards a world free of nuclear arms.

The statement from the committee also said the US president had "created a new climate in international politics".

"Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play," it said.

The committee added that the US was now playing a more constructive role in meeting "the great climatic challenges" facing the world, and that democracy and human rights would be strengthened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm
:laugh:
considering the guy has achieved zero results so far in that field, this is an insult to whoever has a brain and uses it.

C4

He did capture the worlds attention but he just talks shit, does nothing.

Tell me what are his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples? Just some speeches, what else?

Kizza

Wasn't he meant to save the world by now?

Mugabe should have won ;D.

C4

wait, c4, weren't you an Obama supporter? what happened?

I was. Dude, the guy has done nothing yet and like all other politicians he just knows how to run his mouth. Just keeps on ranting about Irans Nuclear situation and stupid American Healthcare, what else has he done IN OFFICE? And lol at him providing aid to Pakistan in return of Drone strikes, that's even worse.

Fuck you, Obama.

TK.GFX

Reaction score
Maybe we should, you know, give him some time before we start bashing him up and down the white house driveway. If he hasn't done anything once we start nearing the end of his term, feel free to bash him then, but until then, good god, give the man a break. He can't fix all of America's problems in less then a year.

Kizza

I was. Dude, the guy has done nothing yet and like all other politicians he just knows how to run his mouth. Just keeps on ranting about Irans Nuclear situation and stupid American Healthcare, what else has he done IN OFFICE? And lol at him providing aid to Pakistan in return of Drone strikes, that's even worse.

Fuck you, Obama.

And you didn't think that would happen because...

phantomgerald

Fuck you, Obama.

He's fixed country relations with many countries, including Iran to a certain extent.

He's introduced healthcare reforms.

I think he's talk more than he's done, but from what little I've seen he genuinely wants to help the poeple of America.

Wordlife

what does being president have to do with getting the Nobel Peace prize? I know nothing else that he has done lol

PeepShow

Wasn't he meant to save the world by now?

No

After his term(s) are over, he's supposed to have increased results in employment, resolve the health care issue, and help the economy as a whole to get it back to where it was before Bush came into office.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Maybe we should, you know, give him some time before we start bashing him up and down the white house driveway. If he hasn't done anything once we start nearing the end of his term, feel free to bash him then, but until then, good god, give the man a break. He can't fix all of America's problems in less then a year.

hmm, I don't think you understood my post.
You say '' You shouldn't bash him until he's finished'', and I do agree with that, but for the same exact reason, and that's what i meant, you shouldn't even award him with a Nobel Prize before he has done anything worthy.

PeepShow

Yeah, I'm really not sure why this was given to him though tbh. I mean it's not like he's done anything to really deserve it yet. I heard someone say earlier that it's like giving it to Miley Cyrus. I'm an Obama supporter and all, but I'd have to agree. It's way to early to be giving it to him. Maybe a couple years down the road, but not now. Glad to see he's donating all the money he won with the award though.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but letters of nominations for the nobel peace prize closed on 2/1/09...only a couple of weeks into his presidency. A nomination based only on what he said he would do if he was elected president and not based on anything he has done as president.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Obama's been implementing legislature, but everyone is quickly learning exactly how difficult running government really is. Even if you have iconic ideas and try to implement those ideas, shovelling through the beaurocratic BS of congress is near impossible. They will debate within the house for months upon months upon months before they finally vote, which involves more debate, and even then there is no guarantee a majority consensus is reached. Which may cause any particular bill to be shovelled back to the drawing board and ensue in even more debate.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Obama didn't even get alot done within the next four years, yet alone one year. And that's through no fault of his own. It's just the nature of politics.