New Jersey Denied Nate Marquardt's Therapeutic Exemption Application

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
06Marquardt_DMiller_large.jpg
When Nate Marquardt broke his silence earlier today, he detailed to Ariel Helwani the steps he took with the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board in his application for a therapeutic use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy prior to his fight with Dan Miller. According to Marquardt, the NJSACB required that he go off treatment for weight weeks after the fight and undergo three consecutive blood tests. MMA Junkie reported today that New Jersey denied the application:

When one of those tests came back beyond the commission's acceptable limits for the hormone, the NJSACB denied Marquardt's application for an exemption. As it happened, the denial arrived the day before the weigh-ins for his next fight, a headlining bout opposite Rick Story at UFC on Versus 4.

"This exemption denial along with the test results were then immediately forwarded to the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission for their review and analysis," NJSACB legal counsel Nick Lembo today told MMAjunkie.com.

Marquardt believed that the state-appointed endocrinologist agreed with his TRT treament.

"I followed all the guidelines that they told me," Marquardt told Ariel Helwani. "I went off treatment for eight weeks. I took the three blood tests. Once the results came back in, the endocrinologist reviewed and wrote out a letter that basically said that I had low testosterone and that I was a candidate for hormone replacement therapy. So, he recommended [that I] go back on treatment."

New Jersey allowed Marquardt to fight Miller at UFC 128 despite not having approved his TUE application, because, from MMA Junkie, "he was going through the process."

"Yes, or they wouldn't have let me fight," Marquardt said in reference to whether his testosterone levels were within acceptable range for the fight in New Jersey.

Marquardt defeated Miller by unanimous decision.