Nevada Commission Approves Monitors for Judges at UFC Events

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
sl03r9_large.jpg
The Nevada State Athletic Commission approved the UFC's request for television monitors for cageside judges by a vote of 5-0. The decision allows monitors for all future UFC events in the state of Nevada.

ESPN's Brett Okamoto tweeted a picture of the monitor to be used (on right).

The monitors will receive no audio feed, and the video feed will black out between rounds.

Judges will not be required to use the monitors, which will be attached to a movable arm next to each judge's seat.

Most interesting to me, both ESPN and MMA Junkie report that video monitors were used at past UFC events. From the Junkie report:

Cageside monitors have been used at the request of the California State Athletic Commission for three separate UFC events: UFC on Versus 2, UFC 117 and UFC 121.

I don't remember hearing about this. The only information I could find was a piece by Jeff Cain for Yahoo! on August 7:

California recently implemented the use of individual video screens for ringside judges to allow them to gain a perspective of the action when it's not within the judge's line of view.

The change was present at the UFC on Versus 2 event on Aug. 1 in San Diego, but the Nevada Athletic Commission unplugged similar monitors at UFC 116 at the MGM Grand Arena on July 3.