Nate Marquardt Signs With BAMMA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
26_UFC128_Presser_large.jpg
After being released by the UFC and spurned by Bellator, Nate Marquardt has signed with British-promotion BAMMA.

The signing comes nearly a month after the UFC cut Marquardt for failing his medicals due to high levels of testosterone for his June 26 bout against Rick Story at UFC on Versus 4. Many presumed Marquardt would land in Bellator, which has emerged as the arguable number-two promotion in America in the wake of Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce, but the two parties could not agree on a deal.

Marquardt commented on the signing in a BAMMA press release, "Offers came in from several fight promotions, but we felt that BAMMA was definitely the best fit. They put on high-quality shows, stack their cards with top-level fighters, and sign those fighters to multi-fight deals. They are also the only fight organization in the UK that implements PED testing. To be honest, that is one of the main reasons that we chose BAMMA. I want to prove to my fans and to the world that I'm the real deal and that I belong on top."

BAMMA's "stacked" cards include names like Murilo Rua, Frank Trigg, and TUF castoffs Aaron Wilkinson and Efrain Escudero.

As for drug testing, BAMMA vice president Liam Fisher told MMA Weekly, "We've been looking into implementing ... drug testing" Any drug testing done in the UK, including the UFC, must be handled by the promotion due to a lack of government oversight. Color me skeptical.

There is no word on when Marquardt will make his debut across the Atlantic. BAMMA's next show is scheduled for September 10 in Birmingham, England.