My two cents on Nigerian Ebay scams.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

dstebbins

Reaction score
If you've recently tried to sell a laptop on ebay (among other things, but laptops especially), you've probably run into a "creative" Nigerian con-artist or two. To me, the problem is not that Nigerians are doing this, but that some people are stupid enough to fall for their tricks, because the signs are so painfully obvious that, in order to fall for them, you'd have to be a moron, no way around it.

For example, I bought a laptop on Newegg for $589. It was working great until I spilt some soup on the keyboard, and then it wouldn't turn on, so I put it up on ebay for a penny, because I know some people may have a way to fix it, or may have a use for one of the parts that isn't broken. Well, after the bidding was done, someone with zero reputation had bid (get this) $2,024! He then proceeded to send me an email from paypalconfirmation@emailaccount.com saying that his payment had been confirmed, but I needed to provide a tracking number in order to get the money; this was a security measure for the buyer, to make sure I sent it.

So let me get this straight: Not only has paypal started using a new security feature that I didn't know about without telling me about it, but they can't even use their own domain name (paypalconfirmation@emailaccount.com), not to mention he bid over three times the price of the computer when it was new? Um, how 'bout no?

Ebay, if you're reading this, I beg you... no, I beseech you, to stop cracking down on these Nigerian con-artists, because if someone falls for their sad, ridiculous, obvious schemes, then it's just as much their fault as the Nigerians.

Discuss?

phantomgerald

Eh, u think ebay will care?

But whoever is stupid enough to fall for it deserves to have their money cheated.

dstebbins

Reaction score
^^^Strong words coming from a guy who's sig lies, cheats, and steals for a living!:p

Kool Aid Man

Reaction score
Yeah, people need to learn to watch out for their money and stay away from anything looking suspicious. I've seen a couple of game consoles on ebay for like $2 and I immediately knew it was fake because
1) It had a real low price, I mean too-good-to-be-true low price.
2) For the photo, it was just a fucking stock photo, not an actual picture of what they're trying to sell.