My mini rant about Naomi's current theme / the "Def Rebel bad" thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
This just really irrationally pisses me off. Naomi's theme has to be the worst thing about current WWE right now. The reason for this is twofold.

1. She already had a great theme​

You know this. Before she was released - and event after she came back, for that hype as fuck return at Rumble 24 - her theme absolutely DESTROYED. Instant pop every time you hear it, gets an entire crowd hype. What was Def Rebel afraid of? That it would sound too similar to KC2's theme? That didn't stop them making a million womp womp trap beat themes for every single wrestler ever!

2. It's a ripoff of a better theme​

The structure is a complete ripoff of the theme she got when she went to TNA. Which is a pretty damn great theme as it is! And INSTEAD OF USING THE GREAT THEME SHE ALREADY HAD, they RIP OFF A DIFFERENT SONG. They even did the SPELLING HER NAME thing which doesn't even work when it's only got five letters.

Put it together and what have you got? This dogshit​

Post your least favourite things about Def Rebel here

Reactions: Rosie

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Relevant

The two that make me the most upset are Shayna Baszler and Gallus, their old themes were the best. New ones are not only worse but sound similar that you can't help but remember what was taken from us

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Relevant

The two that make me the most upset are Shayna Baszler and Gallus, their old themes were the best. New ones are not only worse but sound similar that you can't help but remember what was taken from us

Oh just realized the poll doesn't embed lol it's 81% nay for final results

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Relevant

For me Gallus is change-the-channel shit so I'm at least glad they have a theme that reflects that

• Haha

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Relevant

Shayna’s should be considered a war crime

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I won’t forgive Def Rebel for butchering Gargano’s Rebel Heart theme. Their DIY song is not good either.

Sheamus losing Too Many Limes feels like a crime too.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I won’t forgive Def Rebel for butchering Gargano’s Rebel Heart theme. Their DIY song is not good either.

Ya this one upset me and i don't even watch .

Reactions: Jimmy King

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

Also terrible

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I actually don't mind the DIY one lol but that's like my upper limit of their decent ones, they're just okay.

I'll give them props if they did Lola Vice's, hers is cool but sounds so different I have doubts lol

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Don't think the Naomi one is bad at all other than the spelling her name out part

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
They have had some hits. But jesus hell there are so many which are downgrades or just downright terrible!

Decent-to-great ones:
Seth's, even if it is just a remix of "Wild Eyes" by Parkway Drive, YOU HEAR IT AND YOU KNOW!
Dominik Mysterio
Joe Gacy
L..A... Knight, YEAH!
Roman's (Duh)
Grayson Waller's is so annoyingly catchy
Carmelo Hayes
Finn Balor's (Technically a downgrade, but still good as a darker version)

But just so many are bad. Just bad bad bad. I can point to how Jim Johnston was great as he had WAY more hits than misses. But I'll compare them to the most recent example, CFO$.

CFO's biggest knock was that their themes looped. Which to a degree, I get the criticism and agreed. Even if an entrance often lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 and a half minutes at most, it still would be nice to have a complete song. However, they were great at doing several things (apart from the songs being "good."):

1. Creating recognizable music: They were able to create themes which, without just doing a soundbite of the wrestler's name or catchphrase, you could hear the intro and know "It's this wrestler" and it builds into it nicely. Paige's scream. FTR/The Revival's SAY YEAH! The fast strumming of Gargano's original theme. Nakamura's violin. The piano to Bobby Roode, I can go on.

2. It captured the gimmicks well: Johnny Gargano's original theme was the perfect underdog, heart filled babyface theme. Ciampa's for a psychopath. Sami's theme he thankfully still uses is fantastic and hyped, creates crowd interaction. Even a theme which has stood the test of time and hopefully will stay, Kevin Owens, is perfect for him despite being a simple theme. The DUN NUH, DUN NUH. Heavy beat of the drums. It has a rythm as a song, but also fits someone who's catchphrase is "Fight Owens Fight." It sounds like someone walking down to the ring for a fight and it has fit him whether he was the Prize Fighter, going by any means for the gold, or as his more anti-authority face character.

3. It fits for the entrances: Whenever I have tried to pick a theme song for one of my characters in e-feds I think of the entrance that goes with it. It does not just fit into the idea of capturing the character's gimmick but how the wrestler heads down the ring. Are there hooks to the music where they can do something to it. Does the pace of the song fit how they move. Even something as small as Johnny Gargano moving his hand while on the the turnbuckles as his theme shouts "Yeah, you'll never tear me a...part." To me, the music creates a spectacle when someone enters. Above all else, it sells you who the character is and puts on a show while setting the tone for the match upcoming.

I'll use three examples.

One from the Jim Johnston era of entrances:

One from the CFO$ and one from... Now, not made by Def Rebel.

Johnson Era: Triple H

Classic theme made by Johnson and Motorhead. The intro is iconic but the theme music creates a lot of what goes around. The beat the lights change, the timing. Triple H always times his movements to the music so you know what goes on at each time.

CFO$ Era: Nakamura

I said this before, and I'll say it again, this and his NJPW theme were bangers. But the violins create an artistry to his character. The fluidity of how Nakamura moves. The flashing of the lights. Also the crowd interaction too becomes part of it.

Now: SAY HIS NAME...

Okay, I know this is a meme now too, but this entrance has simplicity and awesomeness. Joe's turn not just at the ramp, but in the ring. Waving his hands with the music. To me, this is a great example of how important music is for a wrestler. But this interview he breaks it down.

Right now, Def Rebel is failing when it comes to capturing the wrestlers for WWE. Naomi's is just one example along with Sheamus. Even Sheamus' CFO$ theme was still really good. They need to go.

Last edited:

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I hope for Dale's sake they never do Def Rebel theme for Bex so he doesn't have to feel our pain

• Haha
Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
She’ll pull an Orton and tell them I’m not coming out to that.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock