MrFetter's NOOBISH First tries at Graphix

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
This is where I'll be posting my work that Im doing.

Let me state first off that I know this stuff is REALLY bad compared to most the stuff on here. I understand that. I just started making graphix and I want to learn how to make awesome stuff like King and others here on the forums. I'm using Paint Shop CS5 so hopefully I can start steadily improving my skills and craft.

What I've done so far:

11jyxyr.jpg

I plan on using a bigger banner next time on my work.

10elpgl.jpg

Another one I made

20tfi36.jpg

My first time using renders

zyimn6.jpg

A render I did in tribute for a AMAZING show back in the day that was canceled.

Attachments

• DelRioFirsttry.jpg
    DelRioFirsttry.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 7
  • JeffHardySplash.jpg
    JeffHardySplash.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DelRioFirsttry.jpg
    DelRioFirsttry.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I extend the same recommendations to you that I seem to be making to all the new GFX artists here, but I will say that I think you have potential. Not really sure how to word it but these are a lot more unique and easier to look at than what most beginners produce.

I've always used Photoshop so there's no technical advice I can offer you.

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
I have both, I just didn't know which was better to use so I tried Paint Shop pro. Im looking for any advice available cause I want to learn to make PPV posters as well as banners and stuff for people once I get good enough. Thanks for the words too.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Well I've said before that I think Photoshop is the superior program but there are others here who would disagree. But I do think that if you're really looking to get better you should commit to one.

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Here's something I came up with on Photoshop

11jyxyr.jpg

Next time I plan on using a bigger banner

The_King

Reaction score
They're better than the usual noob stuff, so great start!
ADR: Good concept, not great execution. The left side looks good, but the effect on the right side is too strong. I'd suggest blending the pictures and using one main effect throughout.
Hardy: Very good for beginner. Very simple but very clean. Nice work!
R-Truth: It seems like you're having the same problem a lot of the other newer guys are having where you cut an image instead of using PSDs. For instance, on the left image, the right side of his face is very 'jagged'. Cutting can be a pain, especially for a beginner, so if you're going for the image on a background look, I'd suggest using PSDs. I'll link you to some sites below.
Edge: Quite good for a beginner. The star design in the center is really nicely done. The Edge images aren't cut that well (again see the PSD note above) and are too dim (up the opacity to make them stand out).

Overall, good for a beginner!
I'd suggest moving away from cutting an image and placing it on a background b/c it's a hard route to pull off. Instead try taking two/three images and use their background as the background for your banner. Here's a mini-tut haha. For instance for your ADR banner, I used these two pics below.
alberto-del-rio_3421.jpg
Alberto-Del-Rio.jpg

I blended out the right half of the second image above to just leave ADR as the center image of your banner. Then, the fireworks in the left side of the first image became my background there which you can see if you look to the right side of the center image's head in your sig. This way, you don't have to worry about adding various things to your banner, and you can take advantage of the natural background. To figure out how to blend, just google blending in whatever program you're using. I'd suggest looking for a tutorial that uses the "lasso tool" to blend b/c that's the easiest way for beginners.

I'm not that great myself, but if you have any Qs, feel free to msg. me. I'd definitely stick with Photoshop b/c the vast majority of people use it, and we can help you out if you use that (and you'll find more tuts online for it). I've heard Paint Shop Pro is similar though, so you could probs sneak by using that too.

PSD Sites: http://www.officialpsds.com/; http://psd-dreams.de/ (they require you to make an account but nbd)
Font Sites: http://www.dafont.com/ (In case you're looking for a font site)

Keep it up and good luck!

Last edited:

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Thanks I'm actually not cutting at all, layer over layer and erase is so easy for getting one person on a banner like I did above. I agree I should of made Edge's a little more prominent but so far it's my favorite. I'm trying to learn new stuff and I'll probably post a few more things I do tonight in the OP. I'm going to check the sites out too, especially the font ones. I saw someone make a sick CM Punk tag and I'd like to try my hand at the Best in the World.

Side note: First PSD link is broken.

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Here's my first time with Renders let me know what yah think

20tfi36.jpg

The_King

Reaction score
Nice work. It has a clean, crisp flow. The overall lighting works well, and it's just overall appealing. Just a few little things to point out. Batman's chin area is too dark, so the bottom of his face looks weird. There seems to be a cut off point about halfway through the banner where it noticeably changes from a light gray to a darker gray. Finally, the text is placed very awkwardly. For text, I'd generally suggest delegating it to corner, keeping it very small, and using dull colors.

I think the main problem is that there isn't a compelling focus point. The background takes prominence, and it is the least compelling part of the banner. I'd suggest moving the renders inward to put more focus on them or play with the background to make it pop.

Overall, nice work. 7/10ish!

Reactions: 1 person

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Alright yea I didn't really want to stick the text on Batman but I didn't feel a place for it anywhere else, but wanted to credit myself but I understand. I was going for more of, it's Batman vs. The Joker last man standing gets Gotham kind of deal but I'm glad you like it. I thought about doing a PPV poster to see if I could but I couldn't decide on a background or how to make a great background like I've seen.

Here's one I just put together because I miss and loved Samurai Jack haha.

zyimn6.jpg

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
You are far better with Photoshop. The new ones are great but I'd look into lighting and colour techniques for extra depth.

The_King

Reaction score
Agreed with defiant. The Samurai Jack one turned out nice as well.

PSDs work. Not a whole lot of empty space. The text is placed much better. Again, a very good banner for a beginner 7/10.
I'd echo what defiant said though. You don't want to end up just sticking PSDs on a background and adding text (it works sometimes but gets monotonous). I'd suggest playing with the brush tool, playing with the lighting, adding gradients, etc. Just get to know the basic features of the program.
Keep it up!

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Thanks I'm trying to look up some tut's or something, cause I don't know how to do that stuff yet.