MMA Bill Passes Tourism, Parks, Arts, and Sports Committee in New York Assembly

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
gyi0060460346.jpg
According to ESPN's Josh Gross, the mixed martial arts bill making its way through the New York state legislature passed the Tourism, Parks, Arts, and Sports Development Committee today by a vote of 17-3. Noted villain of the MMA community, Bob Reilly, sits on that committee.

Analysis of the news from Justin Klein of the excellent Fight Lawyer blog:

Next stop should be the Codes Committee -- where it should pass (as in years past) -- and then on to the Ways & Means Committee -- where it has died before and I predict it will die again.

I am not alone in this belief.

Klein quotes New York Assemblyman Steve Englebright:

There is a healthy controversy. There are very concerned members of the majority who can't support it this year, as they could not support it in years past, . . . I imagine we'll have similar blockage or stoppage, . . . But, you never know. There are quite a few new faces in the chamber this year. I haven't seen a sea change, but I have seen subtle changes.

Klein also notes that there are a "significant number" of assembly members pushing the Assembly Speaker to allow the bill to go straight to the floor following the Tourism Committee.

It amazes me that we're still talking about regulation efforts in New York state in 2011.