Miragliotta Stands Behind Stand-Ups, Rules Out Any UFC Involvement In Decisions

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
"If there's two guys on the ground that aren't doing anything or if they're in a takedown position and they're just very tired so they're leaning against each other and they're not going for a single-leg or they're not trying something different to change their position, I give them some time," Miragliotta today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "I warn them, and then I'll separate them."

Belfort and Johnson met in the co-main event of this past weekend's UFC 142 event in Rio de Janiero. When the UFC visits foreign countries that lack an athletic commission to oversee the events, UFC vice president and former Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Marc Ratner serves as the lead regulator.

Miragliotta, Mario Yamasaki and Leon Roberts were all hired by Ratner and the UFC to serve as officials at UFC 142.

Miragliotta was also in the cage for Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira and Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim, but it was the Belfort-Johnson matchup that had some fans up in arms.

Miragliotta's critics say his three restart calls, two that came with Johnson in top position and one with "Rumble" in a takedown position against the cage, were unfair and far too hasty, but the referee said he felt his decisions were all warranted.

"[Johnson] established position and then just held his wrist and laid on top of him," Miragliotta said. "He had that one real nice, heavy punch that kind of busted up Vitor's face in the very early beginning of the first round, and then after that his takedowns had just kind of stopped."

Some critics suggested the rowdy HSBC Arena crowd had something to do with Miragliotta's calls. After all, the arena was decidedly pro-Belfort and made it clear they weren't enjoying Johnson's time on top.

Miragliotta, a veteran of big fights all over the world, said that simply isn't true.

"Honestly, the way the fans were screaming and hollering for the fight, I don't think it would have mattered if it was up or down," Miragliotta said. "They were just into the fight. I don't listen to the crowd. They don't bother me."

But some conspiracy theorists have taken it a step further, suggesting that perhaps the UFC played a role in Miragliotta's call. After all, Johnson had missed weight for the contest by a stunning 11 pounds. Perhaps the official was given a little backstage pep talk from UFC president Dana White about the importance of giving Belfort the best possible chance at winning?

No way, said Miragliotta.

"The UFC never talks to us," Miragliotta said. "You go out there, and Marc Ratner is the one that's responsible for us. We never talk to Dana or Zuffa or any of the other guys. I may have talked to Dana once or twice since I've been doing this. They don't bother us.

"Never, ever have you ever heard the UFC grab an official and say to them, 'Let's change the criteria,' or, 'Let's do something different because we need to keep the fans happy.'"

Miragliotta said he wasn't immediately aware there was any public backlash to his work. In fact, he spoke with Johnson's camp the following day and didn't hear any gripe from the fighter's corner.

"Neither corner came up to me and said anything negative," Miragliotta said. "I rode with Anthony Johnson's corner in the bus on the way to the airport, and he thanked me for giving his guy a chance to fight. He never said, 'I wish you would have let them stay on the ground a little longer,' or, 'I wish you would have stood them up faster.'"

It's funny that there's this whole theory out there that the UFC stepped up and told the ref to do the quick stand up's if Belfort was in trouble, I don't think that was the case at all but, there was like 3 or 4 stand ups when Johnson had Belfort on the ground probably no longer than a few seconds, I don't think Dana or anybody in the UFC had something to do with it i honestly believe that but it did seem like there was too many quick stand ups when Johnson was getting the advantage. That crowd was fucking insane on Saturday and even though he says the crowd had nothing to do with it i think that's the case here.

There was a lot of weird Ref decisions on this show, and Dana White was pissed has been calling for video replay for fights like we see in the NFL and other sports to make sure shit like what happened with the Erick Silva DQ doesn't rob fighters of a victory again.

Last edited: