MFC Welterweight Champion Douglas Lima Signs With Bellator

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
douglas-lima_large.jpg
After his stunningly quick KO win over Terry Martin in his last fight with MFC, Douglas Lima became a free agent. Lima had gone from middle of the road prospect to a man many expected to end up in the UFC sooner than later during his time in the Canadian promotion. From the Bellator press release:

"In every promotion I've fought in, I've always wanted to be the best welterweight in the division - but with Bellator, this is it," said Lima. "This is a big organization and I'm going to be fighting on national television on MTV2. This is it for me, finally."
Currently residing in Atlanta, the fast-rising 23-year-old enters Bellator riding a six-fight win streak and a battle-proven record of 18-4. "The Phenom" is currently all set to enter the promotion's upcoming welterweight tournament. A true finisher, 16 of Lima's 18 wins have come by submission or knockout.
"I just really want to finish all of my fights," Lima said. "Every time I fight, I'm always looking for some way to finish. I don't like leaving my fate in the hands of the judges. If we stand up I'm going to try to knock my opponent's head off, and if we go to the ground, I'm good there too."
While Lima tries not to focus on his losses, he can't help but be reminded of his 2008 submission defeat at the hands of Bellator veteran and Season 4 Welterweight Tournament Semifinalist Brent Weedman.
"I definitely want to get that loss back from Brent Weedman," said Lima. "I was very young when I fought him. He's a cool guy, but I wouldn't mind getting back inside the cage with him to get that one back."

Never one to keep quiet, MFC's Mark Pavelich took to Twitter to complain about the loss of one of his top fighters:

When these chop shop MMA organizations throw around borrowed money to fighters & wonder why they can only last a few years in the Game.

Of course, Bellator throwing money at Lima and then dying out is probably the perfect world scenario for him. If Lima can collect some nice paychecks, raise his profile and get good fights for his current stage of development he'll be in the best position of his career to make the move to the UFC.