Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon Slated for UFC 136

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
mma_guillard_576_large_medium_large.jpg
The fights just keep on coming. A few days ago, Melvin Guillard asked to fight Joe Lauzon, and Lauzon accepted. Today comes word that the UFC has agreed as well, and the fighters will face off at UFC 136 in Houston on October 8th. The UFC announced it as part of their statement regarding the main event of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard:

Also on that card, lightweight fan favorites and TUF alumni Joe Lauzon and Melvin Guillard have verbally agreed to meet.

Guillard had asked to fight on this particular card, and he got his wish. Lauzon posted a blog about the fight on his website:

You can’t build a reputation on what you’re going to do. You have to go out and do it.

Melvin Guillard said in an interview he was going to ask the UFC to fight me. I think the media blew it out of proportion a little bit and really ran with it saying he challenged me. I posted a blog saying if thats what the UFC wanted, then lets do it. I have always said, I will fight whoever they want. They are the bosses and they tell me who to fight.

Yesterday, I got a call from Joe Silva saying that Melvin and I were making his job easy and that if I wanted the fight, he thought it would be exciting. I told him again, anything he wants. While no contracts have been signed, verbal agreements have been made.

He also added a little tidbit about bonus-hunting:

One way or another, someone is getting hurt. Pretty much all of his losses in the UFC are to submissions and thats where I really shine. While I'm sure he will be looking for the knockout bonus... I will be looking for the submission bonus. This fight is guaranteed excitement.

It's hard to argue with that.

Melvin Guillard (29-8-2)
Win Shane Roller - KO (Punches) UFC 132
Win Evan Dunham - (TKO - Knees) UFC Fight for the Troops 2
Win Jeremy Stephens - Decision (Split) UFC 119

Joe Lauzon (20-6)
Win Curt Warburton - Submission (Kimura) UFC 132
Loss George Sotiropoulos - Submission (Kimura) UFC 127
Win Gabe Ruediger - Submission (armbar) UFC 118