Melvin Guillard Gunning For Rematch With Joe Lauzon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
“Lately on my Twitter some posts have been popping up and I’m like what the hell is this? So I’m looking and next thing I know it’s people talking about Joe Lauzon hit the nail on the head, he was right, so I went in and read the article and all of a sudden he’s blasting me talking about he slapped me and he choked me out, and Melvin’s going around telling everybody I got lucky,†Guillard told MMAWeeekly.com on Wednesday.

“I never said the dude got lucky. I said it was a good fight, I always gave Joe Lauzon the respect that was due, and I thought he was the better guy that day. Did I think the fight was a fluke on my part? Yeah, the fight was a fluke on my part, but I never took anything from him. So I guess he misinterpreted what I said.â€

Misinterpreted or not, Guillard is now angry at the fact that Lauzon is coming after him in the press, and so he’s firing back.

“The new me, I’m trying to be respectful and handle it the right way, but at this point right now I’m kind of fed up with it. The old me is about to come out on Joe Lauzon. He’s about to take Rich Clementi’s place of being that guy that I just don’t like,†Guillard said.

“I’m sitting here and I’m being a good sport about my losses. The Jim Miler fight, Jim Miller had nothing bad to say, he said nothing but great things about me, he respected my skills and I respected his. For me, I feel disrespected because I’ve done nothing but talk Joe Lauzon up, even when a lot of interviews and fight analysts were still not giving him the credit that was due saying that 9 out of 10 times he would win that once, and I would win the other nine. So people were bashing him and it wasn’t even me, and I’m standing up for him saying that Joe Lauzon is a top competitor, he can be in the top five, top ten or whatever. Now he’s blasting out at me and I have not said anything bad towards Joe Lauzon.â€

Guillard clarified his comments about the fight with Lauzon, looking back in a reflective manner to point the finger at his own undoing. He says it wasn’t about disrespecting Lauzon’s skills, but taking responsibility for what he did wrong on that day.

“When I talked about our fight I talked about how I made mistakes and because of my mistakes he capitalized,†Guillard stated. “That’s what this game is about, that’s what this sport is about. When two guys are paired in equal styles and Joe Silva makes those matches, I don’t see myself coming in and bulldozing anybody in my division. I respect all these guys at 155, even the newcomers. Even if you have a little bit of fight in you, you’re a tough guy, and I respect that.â€

The damage is done however in Guillard’s mind so he’s got one mission right now and it’s to get a rematch with Joe Lauzon to prove what kind of fighter he truly is.

“In the 10 losses I have in my MMA career, I haven’t rematched anyone I’ve lost to. Not once, I’ve never really cared for rematches because I felt they won, now I’ll move on. Right now, I’m at the point where this fight means something to me, I have something to prove against Joe Lauzon, so this is a rematch I’m asking for,†said Guillard.

Guillard will be watching UFC 144 with a special interest in the fight between Joe Lauzon and Anthony Pettis because to put it bluntly, he wants Lauzon to lose and then fight him later this year.

“Right now, I’m looking to watch the fights in Japan and I’m praying that he loses to (Anthony) Pettis because I want a rematch against Joe Lauzon. I don’t want to fight nobody next but Joe Lauzon,†Guillard said.

“I don’t even care how it goes, I just want to see Pettis win and I want an immediate rematch with Joe Lauzon. Hopefully, I can get that rematch by fourth of July in Vegas.

Wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between the two i guess, Melvin would need to have really worked on his submission defense though.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
He's my favourite fighter but his flaws are glaringly obvious for anyone to see.....take this guy down and you can tap him in seconds..

No point in a rematch because I have no faith in Guillard ever learning TDD/sub defence. He'll always be one of the most dangerous stand up guys out there but his ground game is as bad as James Toney's.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Melvin, he's not my favorite fighter though but yeah i can't see this happening unless he dramatically improves his submission defense. Like i said in my first post.

I remember after the fight with Jim Miller, Dana said in an interview he has no clue when Melvin is going to grow up and take some of this shit seriously so i think that'll play a lot into whether or not we see a rematch.

Last edited:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Just found this also :lol:

LauzonGuillardUFC136.gif

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Don't see the point in them having a rematch and I can't see Lauzon agreeing to one unless he goes on a bad losing streak. I can also see why Lauzon was annoyed at what Guillard said, if you call it a fluke then you are saying that the other fighter got lucky.