Meltdown XLII & Fallout 042 || Promo Thread.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The ScapeDubb

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
Promo deadlines:

Sunday 30th June, 23:59PM Pacific Time.
Monday 1st July, 03:00AM Eastern Standard Time.
Monday 1st July, 08:00AM Greenwhich Mean Time.
Monday 1st July, 16:00PM Australian Western Standard Time.

No extensions.

GLHF.

The ScapeDubb

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
“Where is he?”

Vengador’s heavy, impatient feet paced back and forth inside the gym that Bobby Joel had rented out for training purposes. Except the wrestling ring in the center of the gym remained empty.

“Be patient, my boy, be patient. He’ll show up.”

Vengador’s masked face shook. Despite his facial expressions being unseen, it didn’t take an expert on body language to realize that the words of “The Dubb” offered little solace.

“I told you we shouldn’t trust him.”

“Oh, see, now there’s where we both agree, my boy!”
Joel sat, removing his cowboy hat to wipe the sweat off his brow. Though used to the heat in the Summer in the South, he wasn’t so used to dealing with the heat of an agitated multiversal bounty hunter. “I never said we should trust Johnny. No further than I could throw him.”

“Oh, I’ll be doing more than throwing him when he shows up.”

“Haha! That’s the spirit! That’s what I like you about you, Vengy! But let’s use that type of violence on our opponents, shall we?”

“Yes. Of course. The other untrustworthy… what’s the word you used to describe him?”

“I believe that was maggot.”

“Yes, maggot. I will squash Harrows like a little bug. The little insect known as a maggot that he is.”

“I’m glad you’re learning some of our realm’s colloquialisms.”

You could probably understand why Vengador was so upset. He had set his eyes firmly on the X Championship, which was something Bobby Joel explained was something of high importance that he should want to win. Something that will help establish him as one of the most dangerous warriors in all the Earth realm.

Though, Vengador was confused about why such a mighty prize was held by such a puny little girl. She certainly did not look like the mightiest warrior in the realm.

“Do not judge a book by it’s cover,” Bobby Joel had explained to Vengador when he discounted Trixie’s innocent facade while held a pack of frozen pees to his groin region. “That lil girl packs quite the punch…”

Joel, of course, referring to the pee pee punch to be exact. A punch he had been on the receiving end of on Fallout.

The Dubb had devised such a cunning plan to decapitate the little wench in the ring after their match… especially working in their favor the fact that the champion’s witchy friends had decided to abandon her…

They had Trixie…

Right..

Where..

They…

WANTED HER!

Vengador, Johnny Johnson, Aaron Harrows… with Trixie down and out… she would not have made it to Back in Business.

BUT ALAS! Aaron Harrows proved to be a knight in shining armor for the wench. Which is a role he has never been cast in before, though he did drone on and on in the week leading up to Fallout about the time he played the knight in slightly dull armor in Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Vengador didn’t understand the reference but Bobby Joel certainly got a kick out of it.

“Aaron Harrows has no honor.”

“You realize we’re the bad guys, right Vengy?”

“Whatever. I do not care for labels of good or bad.”

“That’s beautiful as long as you’re willing to do some bad things.”

Bad things come to those who deserve it. And Aaron Harrows deserves what is coming to him.”

“Thattaboy.”

Vengador continued to pace. He looked up at the time keeping vessel attached to the wall. He watched as the second hand moved around one second at a time. He did not know how time in this realm worked, but he knew that with each tick of that tock, it meant Johnny Johnson was later and later.

“Where is he?” Vengador repeated again.

“He’ll be here,” their back and forth almost like that of a time loop.

Why was the Earth realm full of so many people who are unreliable? If you say you’re going to do something, you should do it. That just seemed like a common courtesy, no matter what realm you are from.

DING DING

That chyme! In this world it means a door has opened!

He has arrived! Praise whatever religious entity you believe in!

“Doordash order for The Doob?”

ALAS!
It’s this realm’s meal courier service.

“Ahh that’s for me,” Bobby Joel scurried over to the middle aged man who no doubt was going through some type of separation from the one in which he had been betrothed to. “It’s the Dubb,” Joel corrected the man, taking the bucket of KFC fried chicken into his own hands. The driver left, receiving no monetary gratuity in exchange for the service he had provided.

“How can you eat at a time like this?”

“How can you NOT eat at a time like this?”
Joel laughed as he grabbed a chicken drumstick from the basket, sinking his teeth into the juicy original recipe.

“I no longer care whether he shows up or not. Johnny Johnson is not needed for the task at hand.”

“You think you can handle those two by yourself?”

“A fool and a little girl? I am from the Realm of Despair. I think I can handle a fool and a little girl.”

Joel shrugged his shoulders, taking another bite of chicken. “Just watch out for that punch…”

“You mortals have such weak genitals. I do not fear this genital punch that you worry so much about.”

“Okay, but just know I’ve ordered extra frozen peas just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.”

Vengador looked up at the wall time keeping unit once again.

“He’s not coming.”

“No, he’s not.”

“Very well, I suppose it is how you mortals like to say… if you wish for a task to be accomplished in a successful manner, you must accomplish the task with your own hands.”

Joel raised an eyebrow as he lowered the drumstick from his mouth. “Yeah, somethin’ like that.”

“Here, give me one of those deep fried fowl body parts.”

The Dubb grimaced at Vengador’s description of the fried chicken, sliding the bucket his eye. “Here you go. I think I just lost my appetite.”

Vengador grabbed one of the chicken drumsticks… and easily snapped it in two. “On Meltdown… I snap the girl and the fool’s bones into pieces! Just like this fried fowl!
Hahahahahahahaha!”

The Dubb nervously shifted in his chair, watching Vengador waste a perfectly good drumstick. But not wanting to ruffle any feathers, he too joined in on the laughter.

“Ha…Ha…Ha… yes, good one Vengy, good one.”

“Now! LET’S FEAST!”

Reactions: AON

AON

Sup.
Reaction score
It's fair to say that the Lumberjacks have had something of a mixed bag since arriving. After an initial strong start, they kind of faded off in the face of other more successful tag teams, like their opponents tonight, The Coven, but they did manage to turn their younger sister objectively insane, so...you know, small victories, I guess.

But hey, you can't keep a good Lumberjack down. They knew that fortune can change in the wrestling business at the drop of a tree. They knew there was a lot more to do, and with plenty of opportunities in front of them, now was the time to really step it up. Some could doubt that it was even possible to 'step it up'. After all, with promising opportunities on the horizon, the two knew they couldn't afford to slow down.

While they knew that The Coven were in the mists of a little bit of a crisis at the moment, they were the type of people to always take things seriously. They had to. Every single match came with a different level of challenge and right now, they felt as though unpredictability was against them. After all, how much can you really prepare for a pair of magical witches?

But then again, everyone is magical and mystical until they meet the business end of an axe.

"TIMMMMMMMMMBBBBBER"

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

TheBanner.png

Link to Promo

Done with @Cyrus Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OvVeEJr7U
Thunder roars as the sound of metal blades clang and clash inside the city. Two factions at war. Two groups tied to the same home, valuing the same prize, fight for two different leaders who both hold the title as its greatest warriors. The leaders of Septentrionalis, the city of the North. Warriors clad in armor meet as the battle grows messier, with fighting in the streets. There is a claustrophobic feeling as streets which can barely hold a full cart rolling by now have dozens of soldiers occupying the same space, with some room only opening up as buildings are caught on fire, smoldering in a blazing inferno. Others, more experienced, thrive as the battle grows more dangerous. One warrior in particular appears to be slicing through enemies while protecting his own hind end.

The warrior wears very simple leather armor, what little ornamentation and heraldry that once adorned it has been stripped and shattered, leaving only the faint remnants of memories of victories and crowns once worn and lost, battered and beaten by years of use and abuse in countless battles. His hair is cut short, his head unhelmed as we see sunken, dark eyes staring down a pair of challengers, lowly soldiers called upon to throw themselves into the vicious storm of steel and blood.

Smoke and fog linger in the area as the warrior takes a deep breath. The mist and smoke are inhaled, and trickle from the corners of the warrior’s mouth like a dragon about to unleash fiery hell. And while there is no fire that is breathed out, the warrior, grasping a well-worn longaxe, charges his would-be challengers like a demon.

The battle does not take long. Lowly grunts like the ones that have thrown themselves at this veteran warrior are only dangerous in great numbers or with underhanded tactics. But these peons were too foolish to realize the situation. One barely has enough time to dodge the warrior’s first swing, narrowly avoiding losing his head. However, the warrior swiftly batters him in the knee with the blunt end of the longaxe, toppling him. As the soldier falls, the warrior brings the longaxe down, caving in his chest with a vicious blow.

The other soldier, shocked by the ferocity of the warrior’s assault, manages to regain enough sense to rush and attack with his own ax. Instinctually, the warrior brings his longaxe to block the attack, but the soldier’s blade manages to sink into the haft and shatter it.

Undeterred and with wild eyes and bloodlust, the warrior takes the two broken halves of the pole and unleashes a brutal series of strikes to the legs, arms, and head of this grunt. The peon is unable to weather the storm as he staggers to his knee, giving the warrior enough time to use his foot to flick an abandoned, chipped sword laying on the ground to his hand.

It only takes one thrust to the heart.

With adrenaline wearing off, the warrior exhales and catches his breath. This skirmish is over. But it’s far from the last. There’s more blood that must be shed before the battle is over and control over Septentrionalis is finally settled. The once-crowned warrior, paying no heed to the carnage left in his wake, taking no time to even consider it, turns his ear to the sound of another fracas. Flicking the blood from his newly-acquired sword, the warrior heads off to face the next challenge.

Little does this warrior know, he’s been watched. Sitting on the top of a tower which sits outside of the main battle is a mysterious creature taking shelter from the rain. Her nine tails curl with thick white fur. Her face has several markings on it, with two red dots, and a symbol into her forehead. A kitsune. The fox rests her paws looking onwards. Conflicts like this always intrigue her. The reasons people fight, their motivations, and how they do and the willingness to destroy their own home just to rebuild it their way.. The similar markings on the banners of both sides show a bond, a kinship, and yet they fight and collide. Then there is this warrior who is thriving. There is a sense of familiarity with him, as if she’s met him in another life.

Her ears perk up as she hears near-by, two different conversations. The two groups are unaware of the presence of the other or the Kitsune. She looks down to see a large man talking to his soldiers. He has a thin shaved head and a beard. Next to him is a skinny man with a child-like demeanor. The soldier in front of them has a large curly mustache. It is Baxulus alongside his circle.

“My Prince,” One loyal soldier asks Baxulus, kneeling before him. “They have over-ran the city, how could this have happened?”

“What does it look like?” The Bastard Prince scoffs at his soldier. “Someone let down their defenses to let him back in.”

The king is rather blunt with his soldiers. “If any of you are alive by the end of this, I’d have you killed… and if you do die, I will find a wizard to revive you just to kill you fucks again!”

“Now now, Baxulus.” His friend talks to him as if he was a child. “What did we say about unfriendly language?”

For some reason, Baxulus is unable to find the willingness to talk back to his colleague. He looks at him and his anger for a brief moment is gone. “I understand, Jermius.” Realizing he needs to keep his image, he shouts at the soldiers in front of him.

“Listen here, punks! I thought I could have handed the keys to this land to Parrus after he managed to pull out a win after the Battle of Saskatchewan, but he had to lose it to the hoard of Peacocks.” Clenching his hands, he’s seething in rage and disappointment in Parrus. “I thought the Battle where we crushed him in Oxmeci was an exception but now I see the truth…”

“And that is?”

Baxulus lets out a mighty shout, knowing that his rage is masked by the ongoing battle around him. “That he is no longer fit to rule!”

“But sir, he still managed to get his army within the city once again. What can-”

Grabbing the throat of his soldier with both his hands, Baxulus raises him high in the air, shaking him and trying to choke the life out of him. Jermius immediately steps in, pleading with the Prince.

“Put him down, now! He is one of our friends! We do not hurt our friends, remember?”

Baxulus looks at the man he’s choking, then back to Jermius. He places the soldier back down who is coughing, trying to catch his breath.

“What do you say?” Jermius pressures Baxulus to apologize.

“Sorry…” The Fat Prince says with gritted teeth. He tries to get back on track. “We need to strategize before we lose the city. The storm has made the marshland impassable for our catapults. Now we’re forced into tight quarters. With these conditions, we’re bound to lose more men.”

“We can win with the power of friendship!”

Baxulus inhales, trying to not get involved with this. “And what friendship ‘tactics’ will that involve?”

“I know! It will take a lot of teamwork, but as an army of friends, we can defend Septentrionalis and the very sanctity of friendship! Come with me, I will show you the way!”

Jermius with the energy and vigor of a kid on a sugar rush, runs off. Baxulus gives a scowl to his soldier, keeping his strong illusion before following his friend along.

Turning to the otherside, she sees Parrus, leader of the other faction, go outside of cover. He is on the other side of the wall where Baxulus was. His short brown hair is soaked from the rain with his hand stroking his brown thin beard. His soldiers behind him, he looks off in the direction where Baxulus went.

“His voice carries on forever. Baxulus is near-by. But I don’t think we can get to him.” He hums with his observation. “At least not yet.”

“Parrus.” The warrior asks. “What should we do now? We got into the city, but the battle is not won yet.”

“You should have confidence.” He responds. “I have been in this situation before. I know this city better than anyone else, and I sense good fortune. In fact, I consulted the Gods the morning before battle and I saw six auspicious birds. That should be a sign if anything.”

“We need a strategy.” His other soldier explains. “He is known to be brutal. Do you not remember the Battle of Oxmeci? You were left for dead!”

“You don’t think I know that?” The Prodigal Prince is ever confident.

“Why should we even fight? Look around you.” His men plead with him. “At the rate we are going, there will not be much left!”

Glancing above, the smoke from several buildings continues to rise, creating a glow from the flame over the horizon with embers flying above. Even with the brutal rain, the fire is not yet out, likely man made caused by a type of oil or chemical. The damage is great. With the storm, the danger rises. But he can’t bring himself to abandon this.

“Because this is home.” He says. “I can name every brick I have put into this. The names of those who have come from this city are great. Some used it as their place to go on to new avenues. Many had their greatest triumphs here…” Taking a deep sigh, he looks down and picks up a stone from a collapsed building. “I have had my greatest achievements here. I dare not think of what someone like Baxulus will do. I must steer the future of this city again. I-”

Clenching the stone in his hand, Parr shakes. “I will not be embarrassed by him again and let him enact another reign of terror.”

His two soldiers exchange glances and are in shock of how much this man cares for his city. The passion, the desire for an ideal future. Even looking from above, the Kitsune is moved by this display. The soldiers nod.

“We understand. What is the plan?”

“Let me remind you, the casualties are only increasing. If we don’t take control now, then we may be overrun!”

Looking up, Parrus’ eyes glance towards one of the taller towers in the city. It is thicker than most, but its stone supports are already taking a beating.

“Let me find some of our men and we will lure a large number of enemies West. Once they are past the bell tower, we will take the tower down to trap them between it and the city wall. There, we should have full reign to attack until they surrender, or they are all dead.”

“But that tower has been around for hundreds of years!” One of them says in shock. “It is a major landmark!”

“Maybe, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made. I rebuilt this city before.” Looking back, there is a sure look on the face of Parrus. “I can do it again.”

“Affirmative.’ The other soldier shouts. “I will meet you by the West gate. We will collect ourselves and be ready for the attack.”

The warrior in Parrus’ army heads off. He is about to join him, but the other soldier grabs his hand, giving it a small shake for attention.

“Before we go, I must ask you something.”

Turning to his guard, Parr lets him go ahead.

“Do you ever think that there’s more than this?” He stresses. “More than Septentrionalis?”

“Aye.” Parr sighs. “I have. Time and time I have seen the possibility to move on, but nothing ever happened. In the end, this place is my responsibility, so I always come back to it. When a Golden Opportunity may come for me to move on, I will seize it at last. For the time being, Septentrionalis is what I know. It is all I know, and I will not rest until it is mine again and Baxulus will finally pay for all he’s done…”

There’s coldness in his voice as he makes the threat to Baxulus. Not needing another word, the commando points ahead and the two meet up to prepare for an attack to the West.
Seeing the two warring groups go off in opposite directions, the kitsune’s attention goes back towards the experienced soldier. Despite the scars on his body, he is still in strong fighting shape. Towards the town square, there’s a fight towards the fountain and several enemies are gaining on him. The fox looks up to see the flash of thunder in the distance and covers herself. Not bothered, the warrior ducks a swing of the sword and goes low, thrusting his shoulder into the knight’s exposed ribs. He picks him up and bowls over a group of enemies.

Feeling a rush of energy, he gets up and tosses his sword, begging someone to fight him hand to hand. No soldier here appears to be able to best him. Until-
AD_4nXdN9CFJ4hBzhSegRNxcf_d0XCD30d3ALzeowBRpcSGL1XzaoBPN0Tl4L2RzXio3jbFKbpMN5HIOQZ-REj89Yc_lTlKXwGXDfs7igYohJxPcXw7ApfTvILEoa6DEGfJQ7LwuN6zgf8ZFk0cSDVsEorxOPSPw

CRASH.

Lightning shoots down onto the battlefield creating a shockwave heard throughout the city! This is enough, finally, for any remaining soldiers on both sides unaffected by the storm to run for it. Calls to retreat are heard from both sides. Looking towards the blast, the kitsune leaps down and rushes towards the impact sight, trying to survey the damage. The corpses of the warriors caught in the middle lie around the city as smoke rises from several buildings. The likelihood of survivors is slim. Looking towards the city square, the thoughts of the warrior who caught her eye runs through her head and she runs as fast as her paws can take her to where she last saw him.
The lonely warrior’s wounds, both from the myriad of battles and from the hammer of heaven itself, are caked in crimson. The blood loss is its own problem, but…the swelling bruise from the warrior’s head where a fragment of rubble rocketed by the shockwave of the lightning strike is a more immediate concern.

Dropping to a knee, the warrior clutches his head, squinting his eyes in response to the throbbing pain and the loss of blood. Struggling to keep his senses, the warrior growls out.

“No…not now. There’s still…I still have to keep fighting. This battle isn't over…”
As the haze in his mind continues to cloud his thoughts, the aching in his muscles and the sanguine flowing from his injuries, he manages to catch sight of something strange. Instinctually, he reaches for…something. Not the sword he was carrying before, as that has been lost in the chaos of the lightning…but any weapon, anything he can use.

However, it’s for naught as he collapses into himself. It’s all he can do to not drift away, to keep his focus even for another few seconds as the fox creature approaches.

Walking up to him, the Kitsune sits, tilting her head. His eyes slowly open, his vision hazy of the world around him. Putting her paw on her hand, she comforts him.

“Rest, stranger, you do not need to fight me.” She says, her voice calm, speaking English, though it is clearly her second language. “I mean no harm to you.”

The warrior closes his eyes, slipping into unconsciousness.

AD_4nXcoKtTdVpPnW2ebQGaGRmH5l1-X8VsDkmOzCtFV1sn2MOZGQuHcMVVJ3o5XrNETmdLc0EHKNySQ-VVpVcZMSEo45umYjl3z0jqvIuhszmM4kdR_4lQiNt1m_MwafQQklXeMPXBmrtrHJTbVrAveSLRmF2q9
AD_4nXdY5bjqHztYxKbRiylth5wI9LruQxp7oXKDS0t843-vzlprcq5sTdWi5WL2Y1R8SWjzTgdW_QWbq9EIdofIBMqoj6RSSuYgSQ9qXHj2JC6OY7NDM-aQjGYihwQzuk4NXpDwP_4eFR40h3jcciCdXTm03Ag-

A sound of a nearby stream runs in the distance, creating a sense of tranquility and calm. A light breeze from the outside creates a gentle cooling sensation as the Exiled Warrior groggily opens his eyes. The blood has been cleaned and his wounds have healed. There would be scars, of course…but what’s a few more at this point if you continue to survive? The throbbing in his head where the rubble connected during the battle is subdued, to where the pain is still there…but his senses are sharp and aware.
AD_4nXdEK5KADNxezUno_2USVptfnGVe9ha8F_jmL7Pw5fq2LhG9igCllKjwDyD5e8zLLiqJAw8fs8lkfEaq9lmkTFdN0velUuNVXGKALBP_AIg-gmdALUSvn26ryxF5EhLLchyhAK3k2i_89ODD513nmji5JlmY
Covering some of his wounds are bandages, with some red from blood staining the gauze. Looking around, he finds himself in a somewhat traditional Japanese style home, as if someone took a home from their country and rebuilt it here. There’s sliding partitions which remain open as the storm has passed, letting some of the cool evening air in. Several dolls and statues are along the wall, several of which have fox imagery. The floor has a unique tiled pattern with bamboo wood. Blinking, he looks behind him as steam goes off for a kettle and a woman goes to move it off the stove. The young woman looks to be no older than her early 20’s, wearing a traditional kimono dress with red floral patterns. Covering her head is a hood which obscures her identity. She moves two tea cups over and pours herself and the guest two cups.

“I see someone is awake.” She comments as she puts the tea on a tray, with her accent, it is clear English is not her first language, though her comprehension is strong. “With the state you were in, I thought you would never wake again.”

The Exiled Warrior sits up as he rolls his head, trying to loosen his tightened neck muscles. “I suppose I have you to thank for this?”

As her guest points to the bloody bandages, the woman simply nods.

“I found you on the battlefield that was once a city.” The woman explains, placing the tray down and taking a seat next to him. The two tea cups are ornate with fox designs on them. “She sure has a thing for foxes, huh?” He must be thinking to himself. But speaking of, his mind quickly flashes to the last thing he saw, or he at least thought he saw. So, he has to ask.

“So, you were there?” The warrior asks, eyes narrowing as he picks up the tea and brings it to his nose. The warm, cloying sense of the tea is soothing, but there’s a look of concern and mistrust in the older man’s eyes.

“Relax, it is made with Ginkgo Biloba Leaves. My sibling made it for me when I was ill as a child. Perfectly safe and delicious.”
AD_4nXfE1ExX0nJwkfXEHEb5TIcz2lJmYQ8DWEzPvl4m7vU5taBTJv6YhOsKM4hFeSyqwq889fjIPRWJCQH9Ig-yfIDWdYzNYitXbnS1Q1SZ9qisYOjy_bKLHYO2uhovDwl-3ggBOpS5j_uMF5UGaqMhiaG6Cje4

The woman simply chuckles at her guest’s mistrust as she brings her own cup to her lips and drinks. The gesture is noted as the warrior simply nods and takes a sip of his own.

“What about the nine-tails?

“The what?”

“The nine-tailed fox. I’m guessing that creature is yours? Companion, familiar?”

The woman simply shrugs as she takes another sip. “I don’t think I caught your name.”

“Probably because I didn’t give it, or didn’t really have much of a chance to give it,” the man retorts, noting the woman’s subtle, yet clear attempt to avoid answering his question. Still, it’s not as if he’s in a great position to be rejecting the woman’s hospitality. Besides…the warrior is no fool, and has his own suspicions as to the answer to his question.

With a sigh and another sip of the tea, the warrior finally answers, “I’ve had a few names. King of Vagabonds. The Last Dragon. But for the purposes of formalities, Shinjitsu will do.”

“Nice to meet you, Shinjitsu.” She gives a respectful bow to him. “I have my own nicknames people refer to me, but you may call me Riso.” Even under her hood, Shinjitsu could see a warm smile from the woman, a sight rare for him, let alone the acts of kindness she has shown. There’s always something suspicious of it.

“So…mind telling me why you decided to stick your neck out to help a man you don’t know?”

“You were in need of assistance.” She gently bows on her tea, trying to let it cool. The leaves are already beginning to steep the water, creating a green tint. “I learned not too long ago that a small deed can go a long way. Sometimes you never know what a person is going through. If you lift someone up then the world becomes better.”

The preaching from the young woman creates even more skepticism from the Last Dragon.

“You say that as if it was something as small as taking care of someone’s companion for an afternoon. I was in the midst of a battle.” He stresses with his voice. “Riso, was it? You do not appear as someone who would do well in a battle. You could have easily died.”

The man underestimating her only leads to a coy smile on the woman. “If you would get to know me, you would find I am full of surprises. But I was watching from a safe distance. Once the lightning struck the city and I saw men in the hundreds retreat, I knew there may be someone in danger. So I went to check. You were one of the only survivors who did not already flee.”

Riso hums, taking a sip of her tea. “I do wonder what the conflict was about? I have not been in this region for some time. I had matters to attend to at home, and I have never been to Septentrionalis, only hearing bits and rumors.”

Sensing that his tea is likely safe to drink, Shinjitsu takes a careful sip. There is a woody aroma from it with a gentle spice from the taste. Even with a single sip, he feels warmth go through his body. The warrior explains.

“It’s always like this. A constant struggle to see who gets to command this territory. Some see this as their right and purpose, to command Septentrionalis. Others see this as simply the first step, a bridge from obscurity to challenging for the crown of the entire kingdom. But in the end, it’s always a warzone. Petty despots and warlords clashing against one another to prove their might and take the throne. Nothing more or less than that.”

“If it is that dangerous, then why find yourself in the heat of the action?” Riso asks. She reaches behind her hood and scratches the back of her head, likely an itch.
“I have…history with some of the warlords that have been clashing in the city as of late. One in particular decided that he needed to save the rotten king of this empire and interjected himself in my battle against him.”

That seems to catch Riso by surprise. “You were…challenging to become the emperor?”

“Yes, and not for the first time. There was a time where I was the emperor. Hells, I’ve sat upon the highest throne longer than anybody that’s reigned. But…that was a long time ago.

“What’s important is that Baxulus, that hulking bastard, decided to abandon his pride to aid a demon pretending to be a saint and prevented me from returning to my throne. So…here I am. In his domain, seeking a measure of retribution and to take over this city again.”

Crossing her legs, Riso hums as she takes a glance under her hood at Shinjitsu. She senses determination from the man, an iron will, but one which has some sense of virtue.

“I suppose you are a better option than most. I sense strength in you, as if in another life we stood across from each other and brought the best in battle. In my limited experience with Septentrionalis, I have always thought of it as the city of Parrus. Even in times where others have risen and fallen, he was the first name I heard in relation to it, one of the few who brought stability to it. But that Baxulus…”

There is a slight tremor at the thought of him. “The few experiences I have had with him have not been pleasant. He’s a dangerous man. Powerful in physical strength and his rage. But mentally scared, which finds him either haunted by another voice, or it forces him to take drastic measures. He is a tyrant, the most unstable kind and it makes me sick to my stomach.”

Shinjitsu scoffs a bit at that as he stands up to stretch. “Don’t get it twisted. For as much as Parrus wants to be remembered for being the standard bearer and one true king of this city, he’s not any better than Baxulus. Parrus has spent his days reaching for something that continues to be outside of his grasp, too scared to risk himself to be a true hero and too much of a coward to commit to being the villain. I don’t have any sympathy for one such as him, and I should know. I’ve fought him enough times to get his measure. And for every time he’s pushed himself to prove his worth and come out on top of our battles? I’ve always struck back harder, and like a whipped dog? He slinks back away from the light and returns to slither in the shadows of the gods and titans.”
As Shinjitsu loosens the muscles in his neck and takes another sip of the still-piping tea, he looks towards some training kendo sticks and walks over towards them. Riso hums, still paying attention.

“Parrus and Baxulus. Both are strong warriors, I won’t begrudge them that. But they’re…deficient. Lacking both in heart and spirit to break away from the chains they’ve willingly donned to ascend beyond themselves. Parrus is too comfortable with simply being the most accomplished fish in Septentrionalis instead of risking death to become emperor. And Baxulus? His chain is Jermius, the smiling demon who sits upon the high throne. As long as he willingly wears that leash? He’ll never be anything other than a brutish oni who’ll take out his frustrations on everybody else, when the man he should be disgusted and angry with is the same as the one he sees in a mirror.

“And in the end, nothing will change and war will rage.”

Getting up, Riso takes her cup of tea to dump the bag out. “Then I suppose it is right when people say ‘the world is cruel?”

“It’s less that the world is cruel and more so that people are. Humanity is defined by its vices. Jealousy, greed, and reckless ambition have been the catalyst that has driven men and women to do unspeakable things in pursuit of wealth, power, and glory. Oh, especially glory. And because of that, conflict arises, and the only solution is to fight.

Shinjitsu absentmindedly sets the tea cup on a nearby table and grabs one of the kendo sticks, taking a few practice swings with it. “The world is what we make of it. And what so many have chosen to make the world is one where only strength and resolve matters, where accomplishments are pursued without regard for how one gets it. I find that state to be abhorrent, but that’s the nature of things. And if nothing else, I’ve learned to enjoy the journey for what it is, to find peace in chaos and harmony in the heat of battle. As much as I despise Baxulus for protecting Jermius from his righteous execution at my hand? Fighting that bastard was something else. It’s been a long time since I’ve tasted blood in my mouth and been pushed to my limits properly. I look forward to taking everything from him and making him feel the same pain I did when the throne was stolen from me.”

Reaching on her shelf, Riso grabs one of her many trinkets and holds it in her hand. It is a daruma doll with fox ears. Its two white eyes are round, with one of them having a splotch of black ink in it. “I do wish there was a better way sometimes. Be able to survive and thrive together without as much conflict.”

Shinjitsu grabs his cup and finishes off his tea with a large gulp. Its natural healing properties, while not a fix-all to his wounds, does appear to wake him up. “That is not the truth of our world.”

Looking back, the warrior notices the doll in the hands of the mysterious young woman. Another fox. The one eye in particular catches his attention.
AD_4nXdbHoGhgCp6QNWd0FD7jUFJxENDWn9b4l-sqZD8IEtihYTyTbxzWG99v-9AJyp9Kw494w6VQyLLojMPMuvPXxlavsZJbiIoz5Y6jV5GZbEe8V7W12120P_D7khZpkuELKsMSupq5CfMnrC0_daxHEA3Y_2A

“Did the paint chip away on the other eye?” He asks. The hooded woman shakes her head.

“No. It is just not meant to be filled in yet. Are you familiar with Daruma?”

“They are common gifts for children.” He clarifies. “But normally they are not shaped like that.”

“I personally think it is cute shaped like this.” The woman beams with joy looking at her doll, patting its ears gently before sitting down next to her guest. “I am sure you know why you only fill in one eye at a time?”

“I do. The left eye is for a wish, or a promise you make to yourself. The right eye is for fulfillment. You’re supposed to fill that in when your wish comes true or your promise is kept and fulfilled.”
“Glad to see someone take an interest in this.” She says, excitedly. The hood-cloaked woman plays with the doll in her hands.

“I only got this recently, just before I returned from home. So I have not had time to reach the goal.” The woman, showing some confidence in herself, says emphatically. “But I know I’ll get there!”

“What is it, if I may ask?” The curiosity of Shinjitsu is poked at the doll. This young woman is intriguing to him. Something about her is different compared to most people he fights. A youthful energy and kindness not yet broken by the world.

“I suppose I am also reaching for glory of my own.” That statement gets the warrior’s attention as he turns his gaze back to Riso and shoulders the kendo stick. While Shinjitsu may have some interest in hearing what this young woman is after, she keeps it somewhat vague.

“Let’s just say I am no stranger to doubt from others or myself.” She keeps it somewhat vague. “And as much as I believe in what I can do, I know that there’s this world against me, and growing I can do. So something more tangible is needed, that I can point to and say ‘See? Riso is someone special. This journey is worth it.’”

“What would that be?” He tries to dig deeper.

“It could be many things.” She continues to be vague. “I suppose my mind is always in multiple places at once, and it is a blessing and a curse. On one hand, I see different possibilities. On the other, it is hard to give one thing my undivided attention.”

“Glory is always worth it, as long as you’re willing to put your all towards it and earn it the right way. Not with tricks, but with strength and will. Still, focus is also important. Take your eye off the prize and the objective, and you’re doomed time and again to never achieve it.”

“I do know that some consider me to have leadership qualities, but I suppose it is different from what, uh, you fought in the city.”

Crossing her legs, Riso looks at her Daruma, her head is down, still covered by her hood.

“I will admit, Shinjitsu, I have had experiences with people like the men you fought in Septentrionalis. Power hungry, manipulative, abusive. Some I thought were my friends, or tried to convince me it was for my own good. But when I was knocked down, I was always lifted up by others. People who I know I will trust.”

Looking across from her, there’s a painting across from her which appears to be a portrait. It is of her, obscured by a hood, with four other ladies. The artist captured the close-knit nature of them, standing side-by side.

“Even if I can’t afford to give the same trust to everyone, it reminds me of the good in the world.”

“It is a shame then that we’re cruel by nature.” Shinjitsu scoffs.

“I don’t think that, at least not with most people.” She disagrees. “There are some that are too far gone, not worth the forgiveness, yet others can, The world around us changes us. Heartbreak and how we react to it. Growing up we assume the best. We lose it when we get hurt and let it consume us. We learn to hate when we are scared of something we don’t know. The world is cruel by nature. People are not.”

Glancing away, it is clear that Shinjitsu finds the philosophy of Riso to be unrealistic. He lets her continue.

“If I am ever in a position where I can lead, make a difference, I want to open people up to a world of possibilities. To be considered someone strong and powerful would mean something, but I would want to leave it in a better place. Then I will go home and say ‘Look, this is what I am doing… Come see the wonders of the world!’”

She says, somewhat dreaming.

“And we may be able to share that joy. The passion. I want to be able to stand side by side with those who mean something to me and share in what we have done… To know that we have reached our own utopia, a place we can dream of”

“Hahahaha…”

Riso’s dreamlike daze is instantly shattered by the sound of laughter. Shinjitsu, still holding on to the kendo stick, chuckles derisively as he sets the cane down perpendicular to the floor, resting one hand on it.

He stopped laughing, but the incredulous look on his face remains. “Utopia? There’s wanting to make things better, but it’s a clear sign of your naivety that you think you’re going to be the one to bring a lasting peace to this world. You think you’re the first to be so deluded in bringing out a better world, a kinder and more just world? You’re just the latest. I’ve seen it time and again, and the only thing that remains when the dreams are inevitably crushed are the empty husks that end up filled with hate, regret, envy, and scorn.”

Riso hides her head and is trying to keep her calm. She knows this man has been through a literal war, but this disrespect? After she helped him.
“You wouldn’t be the first idealist that’s crossed my path, only to have your hope and your faith shattered. Wouldn’t be the first I’ve had to bury alongside the Road either. The only thing you can trust in this life is your own strength and the resilience of your own resolve. Nothing more or less. That’s why I’ve chosen the path of solitude. If all you have to worry about is living and dying by your own principles, then you can find the strength to achieve glory. Trying to educate people or help people who don’t want to listen is an exercise in frustrating utility.”

“And yet I listened to your story, and view and you taught me?” Riso stands up, she tries to keep her voice down, but her guest’s behavior is not what she’d like.

“We learn by sharing, by experiencing. That is how we grow. I was taught to respect the senpai who teaches me, the people who’s wisdom knows no bounds, but I also learned fast that one view does not rule the world. There is no ‘capital letter’ in the word truth! And it is only when one’s mind opens up that they can finally plant the seeds of a better tomorrow!”

Pacing, she keeps her distance from her guest. “And maybe it is a high goal to wish for something better, but unlike you, I don’t drown myself in the misery of the world. It isn’t naivety, it is hope, something which has not been beaten out of me. To wallow in the filth of the world leads to tyrants like Baxulus and to be content with the same people over and over again with nothing new to be offered! I am not even sure you are better than the likes of Baxulus and Parrus!”

Riso’s biting commentary has begun to wear on Shinjitsu’s last nerve. Who was this girl to try and lecture HIM?

“Just who do you think you’re talking to, girl, hmm? Some shaggy ronin who’s past his prime, an old fool that doesn’t understand anymore? I have seen and fought a thousand battles, and have survived when so many have fallen. And you think your little optimistic dream is enough to sustain you? I told you…the world isn’t cruel. It’s what people have made of it, and regardless of what you wish, people are cruel, vicious, and merciless. They don’t care if you want to make things better. None of them do. The only thing they care about is their own avarice and satiating their own desires.”

Shinjitsu walks over to the woman, her face still hidden by the hood as she stands her ground. “If you want to slay monsters, you’re going to have to become a demon yourself. Blood to answer blood. And that means crushing anything that gets between you and the prize at the end of the Road. Not a damn soul will care what you want or listen to what you have to say if you don’t have the guts to rip glory from the dying hands of your enemy. While I’m grateful you went out of your way to heal me? If saving this city and ruling it the way you want it to be ruled was important to you, you should’ve left me to die. The crown’s never big enough to fit two. And you can be damn sure that I’m not about to step aside and let someone else stop me from reclaiming what was mine.”

He leans down, trying to speak into the woman’s ear.

“If that means living and dying alone? That’s fine. Exiles don’t get to have friends, and at least I’ll have lived honestly and endured the misery without relying on false hope.”

The young woman, feeling insulted, refuses to back off. She keeps her head down, not wanting her hood to come off.

“To beat the darkness in people, you need to light the way. By falling victim to their vices, you just become a monster yourself. People tried that with me, never again. NEVER again…”

She clenches her fist, trying to hold back from engaging in combat with the beaten down Shinjitsu. No, it wouldn’t be fair. Not unless he pushes further.

“I was watching your battle from a distance. I may be young, but I can sense someone’s character from a mile away. I sensed torment and hunger from Baxulus. I sensed desperation and exploitation from Parrus. You? I sense bravery. I saw strength. I felt convinced that if there was an outcome to the battle, it was going to be for you. It was going to be the one who had something to fight for. Someone who was standing up for something he believed in. Someone to break the cycle. I suppose it was divine intervention when you were struck down by the storm…”

Turning her head from side to side, Riso can’t hide the disappointment in her voice.

“I guess I was not as good as I thought I was at judging character, but it will not be the last mistake I make. I know I am far from perfect. I have flaws, but at least I know sometimes a little altruism can go a long way. In this lonely world, being able to share something with a friend, or a stranger, can make you feel whole. You? You’re content being a depressed thick-headed demon of a man. You’re just part of the same cycle with Baxulus and Parrus, but you look in the mirror thinking it is okay for what? A brief glimpse of power and glory!? With nothing accomplished!? Selfish! わがままなロバ!!!”
As Riso turns to walk off in a huff, Shinjitsu simply scoffs as he brings the kendo stick up in a ready stance. “Selfish? Maybe. But at least I’m brave enough to not hide.”

With a quick slash, Shinjitsu swings the kendo stick. The weapon is about to connect but the woman vanishes out of thin air. On the follow through, Shinjitsu looks with a smirk as he sees.

The Kitsune. She sits on all fours, her nine tails stood up.

“Yeah. I knew it. Did you think I was foolish enough to not put it all together?”

The fox growls and lunges forward, ready to attack, but rather than leaping, several flames appear around her in a glow, they head towards Shinjitsu and it is enough to cause him to fall backwards, but the flames disappear before they would have made contact. Just a warning shot. The Riso stalks her ungrateful guest on all fours, gritting her teeth.

“And you think I’m like any other Kitsune?” She huffs. “I hide for protection from judgmental people like you… But no use in keeping the illusion now…”

Getting up off the floor, Shinjitsu appears to tweak an injury of his again, letting out a slight grunt as he stands.

“Consider yourself lucky I don’t send you out now or try and end you here. You may stay only the night so long as you are not foolish to try anything. Tomorrow, be gone. Be gone and never return!”

Turning around, the fox heads out of the room, her tails stood up. She tilts her head back.

“Good night, Shinjitsu.”

The kitsune walks out of the room, using her powers to shut the door behind her. Shinjitsu holds himself up with the kendo stick as a cool breeze from the outside rolls in. His thoughts run through the unique encounter he just had, before he goes to lie down.
It’s late. The moon is high up in the sky and there’s no clouds to obscure the light of the celestial bodies. Through the shoji, Shinjitsu can clearly see the night sky, albeit muddled and muted by the screen.
AD_4nXcoKtTdVpPnW2ebQGaGRmH5l1-X8VsDkmOzCtFV1sn2MOZGQuHcMVVJ3o5XrNETmdLc0EHKNySQ-VVpVcZMSEo45umYjl3z0jqvIuhszmM4kdR_4lQiNt1m_MwafQQklXeMPXBmrtrHJTbVrAveSLRmF2q9

Ever since the kitsune’s outburst, the warrior’s mind has been racing, making sleep troublesome and hard to grasp. It needled him in a way he wasn’t anticipating. It’s not the first time someone has dared to question his belief or try to diminish his faith…but something sticks in his craw that he can’t quite grasp or let go.
AD_4nXdBP2mmyHxWHw3JrIChrvG4qSJQeCEoGmIm3_gf2pN9kDKfE5y_axEDvidLX7rQWhddaM-adIC2zWZJAmAKAp18hAQ3RJ9LynJeH-KqFLPxBps7t3Wcyi_rKoeb_SkMxBDtK3tcVj5_BSbeSpxxQy4s17sy

“Whatever,” Shinjitsu says to himself as he gets up from his tatami mat, stretching. He’s not about to wait until morning to deal with his host. There’s a lot of fighting left to do and an idealistic fox spirit ignorant of the ways of the world isn’t about to stop him from re-entering the fight and reclaiming everything that has been taken from him.

Quietly, Shinjitsu looks around the room and finds his armor and his travel pack and sets to work on inspecting it all to make sure it was all in serviceable condition.

For the most part, his armor, battered and scarred, is still in good enough condition to provide some protection. In fact, it looks as if it’s been repaired since the last battle. Did Riso patch it up while Shinjitsu was recovering? Why?

What was this spirit trying to accomplish by befriending him? It’s not as if she was the first, after all. There were others. Plenty of other warriors that had sought to ally themselves with him, only to inevitably turn on him when the opportunity for personal glory became present. If Riso thought he’d let someone else in, someone who’s ideals would inevitably turn to ash and ruin in the face of the reality of the world…

Almost absentmindedly, Shinjitsu starts to rummage through his pack, mostly as a reflex rather than anything conscious. However, he stops as his hand brushes across something.

The warrior grabs it, and pulls out a lacquered wooden effigy of a locust. Shinjitsu’s frustration immediately evaporates as fond memories of his brief partnership with Inago, a bizarre mystic who nevertheless was the key to tearing down a pair of wretched bandits who were terrorizing the countryside.

Those were…good times. A partnership that led to glory, and not to disappointment and betrayal.

More memories of past encounters with other wayward souls flood as Shinjitsu’s anger is replaced by feelings of nostalgia, of better times where blood and pain weren’t the only things keeping him going. The warrior sighs as he puts the figurine back in his pack.

“...Am I really that much of a damned fool? Stupid Shinjitsu. Has your heart really gotten that calloused over the years? Hehehe…”

A morose chuckle is all the sound he allows himself, not wishing to disturb the sleeping spirit. Instead, he searches the room and finds a jug of sake and a couple of cups. Grabbing the jug and a cup, he heads to the shoji and opens it, allowing some of the cool night air to wash over him.

Removing the top of his kimono, the bandaged warrior pours sake into the cup. Before bringing it to his lips to drink, Shinjitsu mutters to himself, “To new beginnings…and fateful ends.”

Upstairs, the kitsune is also having her own night terrors. Curled up on a cushion, the nine tailed fox twitches in her sleep, muttering under her breath. She rolls around on her bed, several wisps circling around her as her magic becomes fueled by her emotional dream.

“No… Don’t hurt me…” She mutters in Japanese.

In her dream, the fox finds herself in a dark place, shadows creeping in as other foxes tower over her. Their fur is dark black with tints of purple. Purple flames shoot around at Riso, hitting her in the face and pushing her backwards. She looks young, even younger than she is, and is petrified, beaten, abused. A tear rolls down her cheek as a large kitsune slowly stalks her.

The fox has a crown on her head, a Queen amongst them. She slashes young Riso with her claws and continues to approach. Riso feels her back paw slip. She’s against the edge.

“You defy the Queen, young one?” The Queen Kitsune says to her in Japanese, growling. “The world is full of Sin and rather than indulge, accept that truth, you try to stand against it? HUH!?”

Riso leaps with shock as the violent fox yells at her. She does everything in her power not to slip, but she can’t see in the darkness.

AD_4nXfRiLn3PKrI7o-cVdtWmVQQITbWEqNQT7AC0Ew8VJvg97bI6FMDY07W3BtRPtkLT-bya5smY1s7HhJtmksslmJfmzir61_1jwWBm2msa5U_-a6z_Ad12AMK5oXf1bqGBHoU9KK2VJARVlxC5kRFMdSPc1nk

“I am not who you want me to be!” Her eyes welled up with tears. “Why can’t you accept that? It is my truth. It’s who I am!”

“It’s too late for you…” She growls before she produces a purple blaze, sending it into Riso who flies back towards the dark pit. The Queen and her followers leave, expecting to send Riso to her death-

But the young Fox holds on to a single branch. Her paws are slipping as she struggles to pull herself up. Looking below, she can’t even see the end of the pit, it is all darkness. She shakes, scared, as she looks up-

A human hand appears, reaching out for her. A life line. With her last bit of strength, she leaps up and tries to touch the hand with her paws, but it is just an illusion. Slowly, she finds herself falling downward. Looking up to see nobody. Nobody to save her.

And the fox wakes up. She breathes heavily as she touches her face, making sure it was all just a dream. Her mind tries to process her dream, a state of raw emotion. The scars of her own past still there, and what would have happened-

If nobody was there to pick up the pieces. Her experiences shape how she views the world. What she wants the world to be.

Her Ideals.

The truths she believes in. Leaving her room, she heads downstairs where her guest is. She does not reenter the room, but her ears peak up catching any sounds.

And what she hears is…singing. Faint, quiet, a personal song in a language she doesn’t understand in the voice of the wayward warrior she’s brought to her home. While it’s difficult to get the context of the song, the cadence and melody is one of despair being confronted by hope…by sorrow being dashed by joy.

Rather than talk to Shinjitsu, she decides to wait. Walking back to her room, she tries to catch some sleep for tomorrow, she knows they need to talk.

Dawn arrives and the sun begins to peak over the horizon, creating an orange hue to the sky. After his long night, Shinjitsu, as requested by Riso, is set to leave the abode of the kitsune who saved him. Some of his bandages remain, but after rest, he appears to be in decent physical shape, with his body showing less of the aches and pains of a dangerous battle. He has his armor and is placing it on, anticipating another battle in the future. The dirt behind him has a slight crackle. He hears footsteps behind him. Riso has walked out of her home in her true form, and sits next to him.

“Shinjitsu, do you mind waiting one moment? I think we both need to talk.”

The Exiled Warrior turns around, placing a piece of armor on. He doesn’t say a word, but he looks down at the fox and listens.

“I give my apologies for yesterday. For someone who believes in understanding different perspectives, I failed to be considerate of you and your plight, and your world.” She looks off. “As we shared, rather than listen, I threw my own beliefs back at you and tried to change your world view over one conversation. You have time on this Earth. You have your truths. I am young for a kitsune. I have much to learn, such as the fact I should not force change, or to be unrealistic.”

Accepting the apology of Riso, the warrior kneels down slightly.
“And I shouldn’t have been such an ungrateful bastard. Constant struggles have hardened me, I realize that. With all the fighting I’ve done and will do, I have to be a bit hard in order to endure it. But that doesn’t excuse me from being a horse’s ass.”

“I have dealt with an ‘ass’ or two before.” She chuckles, showing a mischievous grin. “They normally live up to that name and are too hard-headed to change. You are not. It takes a lot to say that. Thank you. And I’ll admit, I did find your stories interesting. Going through my own experiences and those who prevented me from ‘hardening’ as you may put it. I may have learned a few things.”

Listening to the Kitsune, Shinjitsu continues to adjust his armor and listens. The fox stands on a nearby stone, flicking her tails.

“Utopia, as the name says, is no place. There is no such thing as perfect. Truth is apparent in everything. You need to confront the ugly truth from time to time. But it is the ground in which we form our ideals, how we create a new truth to a better world, and a better self. The two are not enemies, but two sides of the same coin. One exists in the other. And I will continue to learn from travelers like yourself so that my world may open up and I will continue to push forward.”

“Considering your youth, you appear wise for your age. Well said.”

Shinjitsu nods as he’s finishing putting on the last pauldron of his armor.

“And…thinking about what you said, I remembered something. While you can’t keep yourself blinded from the Truth, ultimately the reasons you fight are important. Some will fight for greed or vanity, Others simply because they have nothing else to live for. But those who fight and bleed for their ideals, who struggle to make the world better than the hell it’s fallen into…well, they’re the ones people sing songs about, who fight a battle worth fighting…who get remembered and immortalized when everything else becomes dust and echoes.

“So…even if we end up on opposing sides in the battles to come? Maybe…maybe the world you want to create will be made in the aftermath. Either way, your dreams are worth fighting and dying for if they’re that important to you, so I hope you’ll fight like hell for them.”

Jumping off the rock, Riso watches Shinjitsu.

“And I hope you continue to find your purpose. You do not stop learning until the day you fade away. You have a gift. Share it with the world.”
Looking out towards the horizon, Shinjitsu turns his back to Riso and waves. “I appreciate your hospitality. And I hope you find whatever it is you’re looking for. You’re certainly one the better ones I’ve come across in my journey.”

As he begins to walk away, he’s stopped by Riso.

“One more thing. A small token of our encounter.”

The eyes of the Kitsune glow and her tails raise. A ball of light glows in front of Shinjitsu. The warrior puts his hands out as, appearing in his hand, a Kitsune mask with a white base. On it are red markings etched in a stunning display. Behind it is a string, allowing him to put it on if he wishes.

“We Kitsune sometimes are not afraid to play a trick on someone, especially deserved.” The fox smirks. “But many like myself act as guides. I give this mask to those who have earned my respect as a thank you, and a reminder that we all may need guidance once in a while. Enjoy it, Shinkitsu. Thank you.”
AD_4nXfw79zY6DWL5z7puJkvimcVo7b1p-pMqG2_mVf9lnRRYcedRmVeENz8XSZPX3MsaNaAaivmDBSiSxwdqpCGB0EForbYjZRmWDHnKg4OuiU9VY2Kakrk9fR5GYPp8wg0TLYK9ejxrQII9fj8yhmA2mVs2Y7K

Taking the mask, Shinjitsu attaches it to the back of his head.

“No, thank you.” Turning around, he begins to walk off. “Until we meet again, young Riso.”

The Exiled Warrior makes his way off towards the rising sun as the Kitsune watches. She remains seated, ensuring he safely makes his way towards his next adventure, before returning to her home.

Little do these two know, their paths will be crossing again soon and this time, they will have no choice but to fight.

Across two separate sides of the valley, Baxulus and Parrus have begun to reorganize their groups. The city of Septentrionalis is not yet won.

Shinjitsu looks towards the city and what remains after its latest battle. Bodies still remain, unclaimed by either army.

From her home, in her second floor window, Riso sees the light of the sun touch the city once again. A sign.

Four Warriors will enter.

One will remain.

To create their truth.

And create their ideal future.

SupineSnake

FREE PALESTINE
Reaction score
It all started - as is the case with most evenings, relationships, and pieces of creative writing - in a bar. Michelle was hidden away in a dimly lit corner of La mer agitée, a wine bar itself hidden away in a dimly lit corner of the city. It wasn’t her sort of establishment, as illustrated by the fact that she didn’t pick it. If you’ve been here before, my dear reader, then you’ll be aware of the usual haunts that our protagonist frequented. Mostly, they didn’t serve wine. She was currently pushing a solitary cube of ice around in a glass of neat whiskey and lamenting the feeling that she’d been summoned here.

In truth, La mer agitée didn’t particularly seem like his sort of establishment, either. The man who had summoned her here with a message left at the reception of her motel. She imagined he’d got those details from Russnow and regretted the arrangement that she inform the office of where she was staying each time the circus set up shop. Her life was a sequence of lamentations, ranging from the dramatic to the mundane. Russnow’s lack of tact with her personal details was typical for a man in his role, but the alternative was dealing with Jean-Luc. She shuddered at the thought.

The receptionist at the motel clearly didn’t enjoy talking to the guests or looking at the guests or generally acknowledging the existence of the guests. She grunted a few unintelligible grunts (what else would a grunt grunt but grunts?) before handing over a note, dictated to her and recorded in a childish, barely legible scrawl.​

Michelle,
If I’m going to be forced into a tag-team match with you then you’re going to be forced into my pre-show ritual. Drinks. On me. La mer agitée. 8 PM. Please, don’t be late.
-T. Ocean.

She wondered if he’d picked a place at random, or if this was the kind of bar that he assumed she would frequent. She couldn’t expect him to know her. They’d wrestled once, long ago, in a forgotten tournament that he and his partner had subsequently disowned. But their interactions had been fleeting and, at least for her, ultimately meaningless. Maybe he thought she was French, like Dan Maskell had always asserted in increasingly bemusing vitriol. Whatever the reason, Michelle found herself hidden away in a dimly lit corner of La mer agitée, awaiting Trevor Ocean’s arrival and regretting the fact that she was thinking about Dan Maskell.

She drank another whiskey and then reasoned that she should try the wine. It was a wine bar, after all, and she didn’t mind the taste even if the culture surrounding it was repugnant. She ordered a bottle of the second cheapest red and poured a glass up to the lip. Red wine was what cigarettes were invented for. If only she actually was in France, sitting on the banks of the Seine with her glass in one hand and a Camel in another. Add the Massachusetts nanny state to the evening’s list of grievances.

He arrived just after she gave in and went outside for a cigarette. He seemed a little agitated, and she was pleased to find that he was as bemused by the place he’d chosen as she was.

“What’s the place like?” he asked, peering through the door at the stale, ‘classy’ interior.

“Terrible,” she deadpanned.

“You want to go somewhere else?”

“Absolutely.”

“Come on,” he said, turning away from the door. “I know a place.”

He wanted to not be there, but more than that he wanted to not be seen with Michelle. He motioned for her to walk with him but didn’t check to see if she followed. The click of her lighter let him know that she was there.

Her footsteps were light. He had expected for her to stamp and walk about in a manner befitting the image he painted of her. She was quiet. Reserved even. He half expected her to try and force conversation, but was delighted when she didn’t. They walked the half mile toward the bar in relative silence, save for a few sighs of frustration or boredom.

An hour and change later, the pair sat in a slightly less dimly lit corner of another bar, a little closer to the heart of the city. The name wasn’t French and was less memorable, its innards reminiscent of a thousand other similarly uninspiring drinking holes across the country. There was a pool table and a jukebox and a veritable host of patrons swarming about the place. It was still a fair distance from Michelle’s sort of place, but it was closer to it than La mer agitée. Trevor danced his fingertips around the rim of his glass before driving them inward, retrieving a piece of ice. The crunch sounded loud in his head but was drowned out by the music and conversations surrounding them. Eating the ice of his drinks was a habit he developed while hanging with Noah and Shawn. They frequently made fun of him for ordering water in-between his drinks to sober up, so he began to use the ice as an alternative.

A buzz had started to set in and he finally stole a peek at Michelle. She looked down into her drink, sombre and solemn, seemingly in battle with her thoughts. He needed to get her attention but it’d been a while since he’d initiated small talk with anyone.

“So,” he said followed by a long pause. “You got a thing for tag-team wrestling, ey?”

She peered up from her glass and smiled. The mention of tag team wrestling, this setting, with a partner for a forthcoming match… the whole scenario brought forth inevitable recollections of (and comparisons to) Gerald. Both were awkward things, but whilst Grayson's anxieties manifested as positivity and enthusiasm, this one's were a blanket of discomfort. He fidgeted restlessly under her gaze, dancing around a point that she silently encouraged him to arrive at.

“I ask, because that has to be the only reason why you would demand that I be your tag-team partner. I don’t think you’re like him, Michelle. You wouldn’t involve me in some petty bullshit just to get a reaction from your latest enemy. Right?”

The question this time wasn’t rhetorical. The shift in tone for him would’ve been of concern for anyone else, but she didn’t seem phased.

“My thinking is anything but petty, partner,” she said, enjoying the pet name. It slithered off her tongue and brought a smile to her lips. All the more when Trevor recoiled from it, almost shuddering. “But I suppose I have involved you in my schemes, for lack of a better word. I owe you at least something of an explanation. I don't suppose you enjoy looking into the mind of Shawn Summers. I'm not aware of your full history with the man, but I know enough. The end game for me in Summers is coming up fast. New York City. And he's hiding.”

Michelle paused. Trevor said nothing in response. She finished her drink and ordered another. All the while, Trevor continued to dance his fingertips around the rim of his glass. She waited until her drink arrived before continuing, careful to broach what could easily be interpreted as an accusation. It was one, after all.

“I don't think any level of involvement with you would provoke a reaction from Summers,” she said. “He's not that sort of Bastard. He's going to do what he's going to do, in the order and at the pace that he intends to. Our tag match will alter none of his plans. But that's not why we're here, ready to do battle against the Undisputed Troglodytes. I guess a part of me doesn't believe that you are through with him. And I don't intend to wait until New York.”

“You’ll wait if he wants you to,” he said with a satisfied smirk. He dared not check for her reaction. ”We all do what he wants in the end. Right? He wanted you to come to his room that night, and you did. Right?”

“Sharp,” she said, her own smile momentarily suppressed. She regarded the man as he avoided her gaze and ordered another drink. “Perhaps you're more alike than you project.”

He shrugged and took a sip.

“His mannerisms tend to rub off on you. You’ll learn that.”

He chomped on the shards of ice that entered his mouth alongside the liquor. He peered over at Michelle and wondered if her last comment was a polite way of telling him that he was being an asshole. She wouldn’t have been wrong. Liquor tended to bring out that side of him.

“Michelle,” he said with a pause, trying to find the right words. “I don’t mean to come off as a dick or anything. I know this isn’t what you expected when you received a message for drinks from your partner. It’s just - well, this isn’t how I saw my road to Back in Business going. I didn’t expect to be entangled in his mess again.”

He again played in his drink, turning the ice back and forth before taking another sip.

“I wanted to carve my own path outside of him and Noah. I wanted this to be a ‘standalone’ chapter in the Trevor Ocean story. The part of the book where I’m through with him and Noah. But how can I write that chapter when you bring me into your little game?”

She took a more conciliatory tone, the hostility of the meeting an unintended consequence of his utter lack of desire to be there. Funny, considering it was he who had called her motel.

“What would you be doing this week if you weren't tagging with me?” she asked. “Another warm-up for the chamber? How many months is that away? You can’t write that chapter when you’re sitting at home. Regardless of your wish to be unentangled, entangled you are, tulip. And with a pair of old friends as opponents.”

“I’m sure Noah had a good laugh when he saw that,” he said with a slight chuckle. “The man who wanted to set himself apart from tag-team wrestling in the FWA gets pulled into a tag-team match against the team he has the most history with. Shakespeare would’ve loved the irony.” He peered into his half-empty glass. “Time is a flat circle, isn’t it? I would’ve thought that after all this time Nate would’ve left Jackson and the business and gone to be with his family. He always enjoyed his wife and kids. I guess he enjoys being a loser more.”

He winced as the words left his mouth. He could feel himself sounding and acting like him as he drank. She chose not to respond directly, instead nodding at the bartender and raising her empty glass in his direction. He busied himself in preparing a replenishment.

“Gerald and I faced them often, too,” she began in response. “Twice two-on-two, and once in Mile High Massacre. They pushed us closer than I'd care to admit. Perhaps we were tired. Complacent. Or maybe they just wanted to beat us more than we wanted to beat them. Me, in particular. I saw some of that same hatred in Nate's eyes two weeks ago in Toronto. Maybe some CWA hang-ups, I don't know. Some people cling onto nostalgia.”

Her drink arrived and she removed her cigarettes from her pocket, tapping them on the table as a signal of her intention to head outside soon.

“But that was different,” she continued. “Gerald and I were a team by then. Not like we were in the early days, during your little tournament. But I'm not surprised at your flippancy. You've been underestimating opponents for years. One of my earliest memories of my second run here is you and Stocke getting pinned by a pair of singles midcarders. It’s probably why we ended up beating you in that tournament.”

“You didn’t beat us in the tournament,” he shot back as he took another sip from his drink. “We never even faced you in the damn thing. Got taken out by Golden Rock. Look what that victory did for their career.”

“You’re right,” she replied, with little intonation in her voice. ”You did get taken out by GoldenRock at Division’s Rules - the event named after your team, no less. Gerald and I finished you off in the redemption bracket.”

Trevor’s face scrunched up, and his eyes narrowed. He sat his drink on the bartop and rested his head in his hand as the memories from that defeat flooded back into his head. Noah stood over him as he sulked against the ring post, attempting to make himself as small as possible so no one could notice his embarrassment. Though his face gave away no indication of his mood or thoughts, Trevor knew Noah was furious with him. The verbal lashing he received afterward was confirmation. Noah had never called Trevor pathetic before that night. The thought of hearing Noah describe Trevor as such still sent a chilling shock up his spine. The sobering remembrance of that night brought him pause. He wondered if the Undisputed Alliance remembered every loss they’d suffered. Was that what drove them to continue to compete together? Did it act as some sort of motivation for them, driving their hunger and hate?

“Is Gerald okay with you choosing me to be your partner,” he asked. She replied with a shrug and he construed that she either hadn’t thought about it or she didn’t care. In truth, Gerald was gone and she didn't know if he would come back. At least not to the squared circle. But Trevor concluded that she simply didn't care. Noah would care. He would’ve acted indifferent, but Trevor would know that he cared. Noah would view it as a respect thing to reach out and let your partner know that you’re planning on teaming with someone else - regardless of the reason. It was an unspoken rule he had. Michelle was different, he surmised. He changed tact, returning to her prior accusations of dismissiveness.

“I’m not necessarily looking past them, but what happens when we beat the Undisputed Alliance? What if he doesn’t give you the reaction that you’re looking for? Then all of this was for nothing, right?”

“We both know that him seeing me team with you will elicit a reaction, even if he doesn’t show it to the world. Everyone is well aware how he gets about you,” she said before slowly transitioning away from the bar and patting the bottom of her pack of cigarettes. Trevor pointed to the door to let the bartender know they were stepping outside before following behind her.

She peered up from her cigarette as she lit it and noticed him staring at her with an eyebrow raised. She rolled her eyes, took a long drag from her smoke and offered him one, which he gladly accepted. He motioned to her for a light and she obliged. He inhaled deeply before exhaling with a small happy dance that brought her a chuckle. There was the Trevor Ocean that she had seen backstage during the Division Classic. The man who seemed less like Shawn and Noah and more like someone you wouldn’t mind being with.

”I envy them, you know,” he said. “Nate and Jackson. I envy them because they are willing to share the spotlight. They’re willing to make each other look good when the time calls for it. I’ve never had that chance, and if I did, I passed on it, thinking it wasn’t my turn.” He took another drag of the cigarette and let the smoke dance in his throat before exhaling it through his nostrils. “I don’t really care about you and Shawn’s beef, but I want this to be the last tag-team match I have for a while. I’ve gotta prove myself, and if that means making an example out of Nate and Jackson, then so be it.”

Michelle smiled at him as she finished her cigarette, tossing it to the ground and stamping it out.

“Come on. Next place.”

“What about our tab?”

“This place is almost as bad as the last one,” she said. “They don't deserve your money.”

It took everything in him not to run in and throw a few dollars more than necessary on the bar, but he knew she would be long gone if he did. Her calmness was inviting and intriguing. He wanted to know more about her. He needed to know why Shawn chose her.

She had been in Boston for two weeks already, having skipped Montreal entirely and returned south of the border with the disappointing feeling that she was running away. From Fallout, from Russnow, and from her Basterd. She had to keep reminding herself that sometimes a little long-term thinking was required, but such a skill had never quite come naturally to her. She mostly spent that two weeks feeling sorry for herself, but also made use of the time to locate a handful of bars that were to her taste. Describing her ‘taste’ was easy. Quiet, cheap, and dirty. When she considered these three adjectives in her internal monologue, she couldn't help but think of Shawn when selecting the last two. Maybe her taste in men and her taste in bars wasn't that dissimilar.

She smoked another cigarette as they left the nucleus of the city, heading towards a bar she'd found on her third night here, nestled away nearly beneath a row of stores near her motel. She didn't know what Trevor would think of the place she was taking him, but felt sure that her Basterd would disapprove. Not because it was outlandish or extravagant or peculiar. Quite the opposite, in fact. He would've disapproved because of its insignificance, residing as it did so squarely within the boundaries of the ordinary. But Trevor, she reasoned, would understand the allure of such a retreat. She surmised this after only a few hours and several drinks, though found that she couldn't be sure of either tally.

They arrived at the underground bar, so discreet that it didn't even have a name (or one that it announced). Trevor didn't flinch, to his credit. He sat on a spare stool at the bar and ordered them both a whiskey. He'd transitioned to the harder stuff from beer a while back. It was becoming increasingly difficult to be accurate with time. The evening had slipped away from her. The night was going the same way. Soon it would be morning: another one as restless and uncomfortable as the first.

“I thought of him on the way here,” she began, quietly and only partly in pursuit of an ultimate higher aim. She was mostly just talking. The night shared brought candour. “What he'd think of a place like this. I prodded you earlier, but… well, what do you think? I don't think he would've teamed with you for as long as he did if he didn't at least see some of himself in you. What do you think he saw?”

Trevor snorted with laughter as he once again danced his finger around the rim of his drink. His eyes, narrowed and low, peered over the glass rim at Michelle. The softness of her face, the dry bits of dandruff in her hair, the dirt beneath her fingernails - he examined all of her as he avoided answering her question. Maybe it was because he didn’t know what Shawn had seen in him. Or maybe because he was curious about something in his own right.

“I didn’t want to talk about him tonight, honestly. I wanted to get to know you a little better. I wanted you to get to know me better and get this whole tag-team thing done with. I really did,” he said, slurring his words a little. His hands were planted firmly on the bartop to keep him somewhat balanced, but he still swayed a bit when he tried to talk. “Everyone wants to know why I’m - er, why I was friends with him, but, Michelle, I want to know what he saw in you…”

A little pause, just to let that settle.

“Not quite,” he began, in correction of himself. “What did you see in him?”

Another pause. Longer and more awkward. Her smile faded as she sipped her drink.

”I…”

Twice more, she tried and failed to begin, her voice trailing off. She became distant, as if she was retreating to another place entirely.

Another time.

Mexico City.

Room Three Two Seven.​

Room Three Two Seven.

“I knew you’d come,” he said. The way the words crawled out of his mouth would’ve normally made her skin itch from irritation, but tonight, she was numb to it all. She was here, and in her mind there was no chance of turning back now.

“I did, too.”

She shuffled into the room as he closed the door behind her. Her eyes followed his every movement as he made his way from the doorway to the bar. He had a confidence that suited him even though it was unearned. Ill-earned, she thought. Probably closer to it. There was already a half-finished drink resting on the bartop, but he grabbed another glass and added a few ice cubes to it. He poured a mix of cola and whiskey, placing the drink in her hands. He cupped them together into his and brought her gaze to meet his. His hands were warm against hers, despite the chill from the ice.

“You’re nervous. I can see that. Don’t feel weird about any of this. It’s normal to feel nervous. Just take a couple of drinks and relax,” he said with a wink before taking a seat on the arm of one of the couches.

In truth, she was more nervous of this very image, of him attempting to comfort and relax her inside his gaudy, luxurious suite, escaping into the public eye than she was about what was to come. You could argue that she was resigned to it, but it wasn't all like that. There was a morbid curiosity that brought her here and kept her here. In her heart, she was ashamed and thrilled in equal measures.

“The others were nervous too, you know. I’m sorry to admit to you that this isn’t my first time doing this with someone on the roster. They would never admit it if you asked them, but they know that I would never tell either. I respect their discretion. However, I would be lying if I said it didn’t hurt knowing that they would rather take the secret of their rendezvous with me to the grave before letting anyone know.

“They rebuke my name in public but have no problem screaming it in private. It’s alright, though. We all have our secrets that we’d rather not get out. I get it. I have a few that I’d rather not be made public. This being one of them. Shit, I’m sorry. You probably don’t want to hear any of this, right? It makes things awkward. Sorry.”

She sipped at her drink and lamented the inclusion of cola. She'd mix her own next time.

“Your secret’s safe with me,” she answered, somewhat elusively. If he'd hoped to charm her into an evening of stimulating small talk before they threw themselves in, he'd thus far failed. She felt a slight lowering of the mast, the wind taken out of his sails.

“That’s good to hear, Michelle. That’s really good to hear,” he said with a slight bit of defeat in his voice. As he took another sip from his glass, she could feel his gaze upon her. It felt like a predator watching and analyzing its potential prey. She wasn't in charge. She wasn't even in control of herself. But she was oddly comfortable. There was serenity in helplessness.

“That was quite a beating you took out there tonight against Snowmantashi. You holding up okay? That motherfucker can hit hard, can’t he? My body was one giant bruise the last time we wrestled each other. No, I’m thinking about our first meeting at the CWA event for the title. Either way, I know you’re probably feeling every punch, kick, grapple, and the rest of it each time you move.”

If he was trying to poke the bear he'd succeeded. She shuffled with discomfort. This was not why she was here. In fact, being reminded of the evening's great failure (her lifetime's great failure, really) was the precise opposite to what had brought her to his hotel room. Perhaps he didn't realise how utterly in control of the situation he actually was, and this cruel, blunt reminder of her defeat was a way of reclaiming power.

“I don’t know why it always surprises me how physical they can be in the ring because it should just be expected, you know? Those people can become savages at any point. It’s in their nature so they can’t help it. No amount of good PR put out about the Japanese people will ever cover the fact that they were truly the most heinous war criminals of World War II. They hide that savage nature now but when put in the right situation, the savage returns.”

He paused. Shook his head. Drained his drink. He was pitiful and despicable, but here she was.

“Sorry. I go off on these tangents sometimes and forget that not everyone is… comfortable with these views. Plus, discussions like this are a mood killer, don’t you think?”

She said nothing. She finished her own drink, moved over to his bar, and helped herself to another one. Whiskey, all the way to the top, near. The view from his window was pretty breathtaking, even if the city itself was a shitshow. She pushed it open and lit a cigarette, declining to validate the Basterd's feelings and hate any more than her presence here already did.

“I’d normally chastise you for smoking. It’s a terrible habit, but I’ll allow it given the circumstances. We all need something familiar when we’re in the unknown, right?”

He approached the bar once more, retrieving a clear square bottle of tequila and a shot glass. Drinking must’ve been his rope to familiarity. To look down upon one vice while succumbing to another was on brand for him. He poured the tequila into the glass and pounded back the shot, wincing as the liquid set aflame his throat.

“Why did you come here tonight, Michelle?”

She sucked at her cigarette thoughtfully, the question sticking in her mind and the answer in her throat. The whiskey was good but there was a lot of it. Eyes bigger than her liver, as her father had used to say about her mother.

“You already spoke about it,” she replied. She spoke calmly and in a level tone, even though the anger was rising in her. “Though I wish you hadn't. And I wish you didn't insist on forcing me to speak about it, too. But you saw what happened out there. In the ring. What he said.”

“He didn't say anything,” Shawn interjected. He sipped his own drink, a smirk on his face.

“But I heard him,” she answered. “He told me what I was. What I was worth, and what I deserved. Or what I didn't deserve. He beat me. He defeated me and he declined to take the victory. He denied me a warrior's ending, because he didn't think I was worthy of one. I am nothing. I am worthless. He proved that.”

“And that's why you're here?” he asked. She didn't say anything for what felt like a long time. She flicked her cigarette over the window ledge and watched it fall towards the city below. When it disappeared from sight she instead stared at the moon.

“Is the balcony in the bedroom?” she asked, evasively. “Can I see it?”

He nodded his head and finished what was left in his glass. She shuffled past him only to feel his grip on her waist, pulling her into his embrace. One hand rested on her lower back and while the other caressed her cheek - outlining them in turn until he reached her chin. He was gentle but commanding, forcing her gaze to meet his. His eyes were blue and cold and piercing.

She could smell the mixture of alcohol and spearmint gum on his breath as his face inched closer to hers. Her eyes closed and her body stiffened as she awaited his forthcoming kiss, but was surprised when she realized what he had done.

“Relax,” he whispered into her ear before kissing down the side of her neck. “This is what you wanted, right?”

She didn’t answer and he didn’t care for a response. His hands were soft and surprisingly warm as they explored her. He pressed his body against hers and his heartbeat told her that he was calm. A stark contrast to the chaos that flared up within her.

He slowly pulled back and surveyed her. He was satisfied. He took her hand, leading her into the bedroom. She followed, dutifully and meekly.​

A long, sharp pull from her glass was enough to drag her back into the present, the memory still too close and too real for her to see through to its conclusion. There was a lot that she would like to leave behind: on that night and many others, ones just like it and ones worlds apart. But the past was always with her, a shadow haunting her steps, its long, cold fingers around her neck.

“You know what the worst thing about it is?” she asked, quietly and with a level, abstracted tone. Trevor was surprised to find that she had returned to him. She’d been gone for some time, and he’d contented himself in topping up his alcohol levels and drifting on the edge of consciousness. As she continued, he slowly realised that she was finally answering his question. Or some variation of it. He leant in eagerly, attempting a level of focus that the time and his current state wouldn’t allow. She went on, regardless of the lucidity of her audience.

“I… didn't hate it. Sure, I hated myself for doing it, and I hated the memory of what I'd lowered myself to. But… that night? He was perfect. Breathtaking. Perhaps that's why I was so ashamed.”

He didn’t have the words. Not for this, and not right now. Maybe some other time. He leant back and finished his bottle, holding up the empty in her direction.

“One more?” he asked.

“Yes,” she answered, promptly. “But not here. Come on, let’s go. I’ve paid already.”

She led the way southwards when they emerged from the bar, the first suggestions of early morning beginning to show themselves. The sun wasn’t yet visible, but already it cast a band bold of light over the distant horizon.

“The drinks were meant to be on me,” he asserted, following behind her. “I’ll get the next one.”

“No need,” she said. She reached into her rucksack and produced a bottle of Jameson. “Don’t worry, it’s from the second bar. I didn’t pay for it. Keep your money.”

They eventually settled on a bridge, sitting on the ledge and staring out over the river below, snaking its way eastwards towards the harbour. She gave him another cigarette and he gladly accepted again, the two wordlessly smoking and staring over the water as it trickled onwards to the Atlantic.

She couldn’t help but think of Gerald once again. She’d brought him to a similar bridge at the end of their first night together, in Richmond, Virginia. She remembered that city well because of that night she’d shared with the Daredevil. There was an old man there dressed for swimming. It’s later than you think, he warned them, before diving into the river.

Before that, Gerald had asked her if she was afraid of anything. She’d lied, naturally, but her mind had run wild with all of her fears, big and small. Black holes and cancer and oblivion, and everything in between. She couldn’t remember all of it now. None of it really seemed to matter that much. Uncle had settled some of that. Snowmantashi and Summers had done the rest. She wasn’t afraid of anything, anymore. She was nothing, after all.

“You ready to go home?” she said, as she passed him the bottle.

“You don’t want to swim?” he asked, his eyes fixed on the river as he took a pull.

“It’s later than you think.”

The ScapeDubb

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
-The Program-
Part II: The Protector

Click here for a Bryan Baxter Promo

Suggested Reading: The Program - Part 1: The Prodigy

PREVIOUSLY ON, THE PROGRAM:

Sometime in the future, Isaac "Ike" Parish joined the Friendship Wrestling Academy against his parents' wishes, eager to become a professional wrestler. Upon arrival, he bonded with fellow recruit Jesse but faced strict rules laid down by Sir Stache, the academy's masked overseer who explained their desire to find the next “Prodigy of Friendship.”

Seth, a tattooed recruit, tried to leave due to the rigid restrictions, but his friend Becky chose to stay, determined to prove herself.

That night, Becky was awakened by Ike's panicked screams as he was forcibly removed from the academy, realizing the harsh reality that the program wasn’t for everyone though Becky took some comfort in knowing there was one less person to worry about…

The Program

Part 2: The Protector

{Sometime in the future}

"C'mon Becks, let's ditch this lame ass place."

Seth Triton, a large muscular man covered in tattoos, reached down and took his friend Becky by the arm. He had heard enough from the masked weirdo in the ring.

He, like all the other so called “recruits” of the Friendship Wrestling Academy had come in hopes of breaking into the wrestling business. An unlikely scenario for many of those in the room. Each of them had been told no on multiple occasions by other schools. By their friends. By their families. Wrestling wasn’t for them, according to them. They just weren’t cut out for it.

For Seth, it wasn’t from his lack of strength and he certainly had the “look” of a professional wrestler. But his track record wasn’t exactly clean. His “raw aggression” was a little too… raw. Most schools wouldn’t touch a guy who had been in and out of jail for the multiple physical altercations he has been in in his life.

But hearing Sir Stache rattle off a myriad of rules that they had to abide by… being told he couldn’t leave… that he would earn points based on… friendliness?

Seth didn’t have friends.

Well, Becky was his friend. But she was different.

But he didn’t come here to make friends. He wanted to bash in some heads.

But the rules kept coming. No alcohol. No drugs. No smoking? No swearing?

Yeah, it was time for him and Becks to bounce.

But much to his surprise, Becky resisted. Pulling her hand book from his grip.

"No way man. He's right... I'm tired of being told no. I'm tired of no one believin' in me."

"Do you hear that shit? This place sounds more like a prison than a school..."

"I assure you," Sir Stache interrupted, overhearing the argument between the two, "everything that we do here at the Academy is in your best interest. To make you better people. Better wrestlers. And better friends. As I said, you are free to leave... but by leaving you're giving up on your dreams. You're giving up on wrestling. And you're giving up on yourself."

"Whatever, dude..." the tattooed recruit was still unconvinced. He gave one last plea to the pink-haired Becky, but she was adamant. She was sticking around. And while there was some uncertainty among the group as he left, everyone else chose to stay as well.

Disappointed, Seth made his way out the door.

A bus had brought him all the recruits to the building way out in the middle of nowhere in rural Georgia. He sure hoped an Uber would be able to come and pick him up.

“Going somewhere?” a burly voice asked as Seth’s boots stepped into the gravel of the parking lot outside the prison-like compound.

“Yeah, getting the fuck outta here before it’s too late,” Seth looked toward the voice, surprised to find Bryan Baxter sitting in the driver’s side of his silver Toyota Tacoma, smoking a cigarette. “Wait… you’re…”

“Yep,” Bryan nodded, puffing some smoke through the window.

“I thought there was no smoking allowed.”

“Yeah, well… it pays to be friends with ‘The Great One.’ So, I’m guessin’ you think all that friendship bullshit ain’t for you, huh?”

“Fuck no. I want to wrestle… I want to make it big… you know, like you did. Become a champion.”

Bryan smirked as he extinguished his cigarette and flicked the remains out of the truck and down to the gravel. “Need a ride?”

“Uhh…” Seth was surprised by the offer from a real life wrestling star… wasn’t exactly an offer he could refuse. “Yeah, sure.”

“Hope in.”

{Sometime in the past}

Bryan knew this was a bad idea.

“This is a bad idea,” the words in his own head were echoed by Total Rampage Wrestling promoter Eric Versa. “Why would you want this, Jeremy?”

Eric Versa was your typical sleazy independent promoter from the early 2010’s, complete with slicked back black hair and fake leather jacket.

“C’mon, Jeremy… let’s just go,” Bryan knew that it had been a long shot. He had to admit though, he had gotten his hopes up. He had only recently met Jeremy Best and he already found himself attached to the little dweeb. Which is unusual for Bryan, a man who typically kept to himself.

“I disagree, Mr. Versa,” Jeremy stood his ground. “There’s nothing that defines friendship like a tag team, right? I’ve been tellin’ ya for a while now… a Buddy System tag team would really be somethin’ the fans would get behind!”

“I get it,” Versa rubbed his chin, “you want to be in a tag team. Fine. Fine. We can make that work. How about you and Rey Saber? Or maybe… The Incredible Hawk? Yeah… those would work.”

“No…”

“I see, you really wanna make it like an odd couple team. Fine, we could pair you up with UnKind… oh yeah, buddy! No we’re talkin’!”

“No, sir. It has to be Bryan.”

“What? Why?”

“It just has to be! I see something in him.”

Eric stared past Jeremy to where Bryan Baxter stood nervously against the door to the makeshift office.

“Really? It has to be him? HAS? Look at him, Jeremy. He’s out of shape. He looks ten years older than he actually is… probably from all the time he spends drinking… the crowd could give two shits about him. He’s a jobber. All he ever will be.”

“Dude… I’m right here…” Bryan said, the words cutting through to him. Bryan could feel the initial disappointment fading as anger instead began to boil over.

“Look, Mr. Versa, with all due respect… I think you’re wrong.”

“S’cuse me?”

“You’re wrong, sir. I haven’t known him for very long, but he’s much more than that.”

Eric sighed, “C’mon Jeremy. You’re the top babyface I got out there. Those fans fuckin’ love you, for some reason. They eat that friendship shit out of the palm of your hand. I have plans to give you the belt but you wanna run around teamin’ up with a jobber instead?”

Jeremy simply smiled and nodded. “Yep.”

“And there’s nothin’ I can do to change your mind?”

“Nope! The Buddy System or no Jeremy at all!”

Defeated, Eric Versa sat down in his tattered rolling office chair. “Then I guess I have no choice. I’ll book you guys for the next show…”

Jeremy’s eyes lit up as he turned to a Bryan Baxter that was in complete disbelief. The little dweeb had actually done it. He had actually convinced their promoter to give Baxter a shot…

As they left the voice, Bryan still felt like it wasn’t really happening. But he was grateful. “Thanks, dude…”

“Of course,” Jeremy said as they walked out of the building.

“But he’s right… I don’t get it. Why are you wastin’ your time with me?”

“Because, I think that there’s something special about you, Bryan. Something that maybe no one else has ever realized. Everyone likes to judge a book by its cover… Heck, people did the same thing to me! Thought I was too scrawny and little to be a wrestler. But I found someone who would believe in me… and now I’m gonna be the one who believes in you! And you’re gonna show ‘em. One day… Bryan… you’re gonna show everyone just how special you are. And I wanna be there when that happens.”

Bryan felt something weird as Jeremy said those words to him on that day. No one had ever been so kind to him. He wasn’t used to words of affirmation. He was used to being cut down and demeaned for his failures. For not living up to family expectations. For not living up to expectations academically or athletically.

It was a warmth. A warmth in his heart that he had never felt before. For the first time in his life, BRyan had someone who believed in him.

It was at that moment, Bryan knew that he would follow Jeremy to the ends of the Earth. Jeremy was the one who gave him the chance. An opportunity. And he would always be loyal to Jeremy for that.

{Present Day}

“Alright folks, it’s lookin’ good. Lookin’ really good!” Jeremy surveyed the interior of the future Friendship Wrestling Academy. The compound just a few weeks ago was a dilapidated fortress that looked like it could have been right out of a scene from ‘The Walking Dead.’

But the hard work of Jeremy and his loyal Friendship Wrestling Alliance pals had turned the facilities around in no time.

And that was certainly critical because Jeremy’s time table for accepting applications was quickly approaching. He had big plans for the upcoming Meltdown and Fallout.

The deadline for Krash to sign the contract for Back in Business was going to come and go and coincide with the ribbon cutting of the Friendship Wrestling Academy.

And to top things off, Bryan Baxter had won back the North American Championship.

“I’m so proud of you, Bryan,” Jeremy said as he took a break from some of the cleaning to approach the new champion. Bryan sat back in a folding chair, watching the activities though no partaking in the actual work. He claimed he was supervising the efforts.

Jeremy pulled up a folding chair, sitting in it backward, you know, like the cool kids do. He couldn’t help but notice Bryan wasn’t sharing the same amount of exuberance that he was for the pending grand opening. Or even being excited about his title win for that matter. “Something seems off. Are you okay, bud? You know you can always talk to me.”

Baxter wasn’t sure how Jeremy could always see through him. The big grump sitting in the corner of a room like a lump on a log was certainly not unusual. No one probably would expect him to be jumping for joy at any time, even when he has things to be happy about.

But Jeremy was right, yet again.

He certainly should be happy. He had gotten back the belt he never should’ve lost. And not only that, he got to do it by destroying that nitwit Chris Peacock again. Anytime they got another victory over FTN, it was a reason to celebrate.

But lately, Bryan had begun feeling another new feeling inside of him. Much like that fateful day many years ago when Jeremy stuck up for Bryan… gave him the chance… when Bryan felt like he had a true friend for the first time in his life…

But this feeling was different. A feeling that much like back then he hadn’t felt before. At least not in a long time.

A feeling of… guilt.

“It’s nothin, Jeremy. Go ahead and keep at it… this place is lookin’ great. You’re doin’ a great job.”

Jeremy shook his head, he wasn’t buying it. “Nope. Out with it, pal. Something’s eatin’ at your craw. C’mon, bud… you’re a TWO time North American champion now!”

“Yeah, I know. And I’m really glad to have the belt back, I am…”

“BBBBUUUUUUTTTTT?”

“But…” Bryan sighed, “...I can’t help but notice how many enemies I’m makin’ because I’m helpin’ you out so much.”

Jeremy chuckled. “That’s what this is all about? About Cyrus… Parr… Katsu? Oh c’mon, don’t tell me Bryan Baxter’s goin’ soft on me?”

“I ain’t soft,” Bryan retorted defensively. “And I don’t feel bad about it…” Bryan lied.

Doing Jeremy’s dirty work had been something he had become accustomed to. He had stood by Jeremy’s side and had no problem being the one to assault Krash at Back in Town. He had no problem helping Jeremy along the way the last year…

But he’s heard the word of Cyrus Truth. He’s let those little nuggets of doubt creep into his head.

So maybe he didn’t mind bashing Truth over the head with the chair at Carnal Contendership after all. Maybe he didn’t regret that too much after all.

And Katsu… on Fallout… yeah, she overstepped her boundaries. She had no right to come out and interrupt Jeremy. Though, he couldn’t help but have maybe even the tiniest of glimmers of admiration for the guts it took to come out and make those kinds of demands.

And truth be told, Bryan was prepared to accept her challenge. He wouldn’t mind a good fight and no doubt she would put up a good fit.

But alas, she went just a little too far and stepped on the toes of the man Bryan has pledged his loyalty to.

So, yeah, she had it comin’ to.

As for Mike Parr… that one… that one felt a little more complicated for Bryan.

Parr and Baxter had become heated rivals for the North American Title over the last year. It was last year at Back in Business that Bryan was perhaps at his peak of being “The Bastard” when he assaulted Parr from behind before the match even started. He gave the man synonymous with that title a beating he had never received before.

The Prodigy should’ve been gone for good after that.

But much to Baxter’s surprise… he wasn’t.

Parr returned.

And of course, it was Baxter and the North American Title he was coming back for.

There’s been very few times in Bryan’s career he has felt respect for another man. He had respected Jeremy for going to bat for him… for giving him the opportunity and getting him to where he was today.

But seeing Parr come back from that beating… and then seeing him go toe to toe with Bryan Bastard for 60 minutes at North American shodown… for knowing exactly the right words to say to goad Bryan into allowing overtime…

And then for beating Bryan.

On that night, while he wouldn’t vocally admit it to anyone else, Mike Parr had earned the respect of Bryan Baxter.

So at the Fallout after Carnal Contendership, Bryan couldn’t help but feel conflicted as those two men that Bryan had found respect for in different ways… went up against one another. He knew Jeremy was going to want his help.

Bryan had hoped it wouldn’t come to that.

So of course it did.

And Bryan had hesitated. He couldn’t do it. He didn’t want to do it. Just let the match play out. Let the best man win. Jeremy is the champion… he can do this without his help.

Unfortunately, a little miscommunication and Bryan had suddenly hit Parr and allowed Jeremy to pick up the win.

Bryan once again… doing the dirty work for his friend. This time surprisingly reluctantly so.

All this loyalty… all this… protecting… all it was giving him was a big target on his back.

“Remember, Bryan,” Jeremy interrupted Baxter’s own reflections, “they aren’t just your enemies. These are people who have shown to be untrue friends. We tried to be friends with Cyrus. We even helped him out, didn’t we?”

“I mean..” Bryan started to point out that they only helped Cyrus out from an attack that Sir Stache paid for and instigated, but he decided to let it go. “Sure.”

“And Parr? That guy teams with people he hates more than people he likes it seems. Remember when he teamed up with Shawn Summers… those guys hated each other! And now he gets to team with you? Is that what has you such a gloomy Gus? That you aren’t teamin’ with your best pal Jeremy? Maybe I can put in a word with Russnow…”

“No, Jeremy, it’s not that. Besides, you got too much going on right now and you’ll be busy with the grand opening. I got no problem teamin’ with Parr.”

“Oh…” Jeremy seemed somewhat disappointed by Bryan’s reaction. “Well… that Katsu… boy, she was somethin’ else wasn’t she? She wasn’t very nice to us after she was the one who interrupted us! I don’t blame her friends for ditching her.”

“I mean I’m not sure that they ditched her…”

“Uh, they aren’t here are they? They were before. Now they’re not. They must’ve realized she’s just not a very good friend! See Bryan… all these people… they are threats to Friendship… just like Chris Peacock… Alyster Black… Kra…”

Jeremy stopped himself from saying that name. The name he refuses to acknowledge as still being alive. “That… demon thing… inside my old friend…”

“Point is… they may be upset with you. But it’s nothing you can’t handle. That’s why I chose you, Bryan. That’s what I knew you had in you. It’s how I knew you were special. I knew you could handle the role of the Protector.”

“Huh?”

“To do what you’ve done for me over the last couple years… it takes someone tough. Both physically… but also mentally. You have to have the ability to not care what other people think about you. You have to be able to do what others may not be willing to do… push the limits at times… but it's all for a good reason, right? The ends justify the means… that’s what you’ve done for me. You’ve made this all possible. Without you… there’d be no me and there’d be no Friendship Wrestling Alliance… and now there’d be no Friendship Wrestling Academy.”

“And that’s why any battle you have… you don’t have to go it alone. There could be an army of people who stand against Friendship… who want to come after you because of your importance to the team… but it’s not a fight you fight alone. We are by your side. Whether it’s Cyrus Truth… Mike Parr… Katsu… FTN.. whoever… that's what your loyalty to me has earned you.”

Jeremy had a way of putting Bryan at ease. He knew that just having that title again put a target on his back, but his recent actions certainly had intensified it. But just as he felt so many years ago… he felt comfort in knowing he had a true friend by his side.

{Sometime in the future}

“So what are you runnin’ from, huh?” Bryan asked of his wayward traveler sitting beside him in the passenger side of his truck as he cruised down the backroads of Georgia.

“What,” Seth narrowed his eyes at the driver, “what do you mean? I ain’t scared of nothin’.”

“So you’re just a quitter then?”

“The fuck you say?”

“Look, I’m just callin’ it like I see it.”

Being called a quitter was not something new to Seth. He’d never kept a job. He quit the baseball team in high school. He’s never really been able to hold down a relationship. Except for his friendship with Becky… she at least got him.

“Fuck you, man. You don’t know me.”

“Yeah,” Bryan said quietly as he took a right turn, “you’re right. I don’t. But I know a quitter when I see one.”

“Look, I just don’t want nothin’ to do with that bullshit back there. I’m guessin’ you don’t either since you ain’t in there as one of the teachers or whatever.”

“Nah, that wasn’t for me. But we all have our roles to play.”

“Whatchu mean? Like that Prodigy bullshit? Yeah, that ain’t me.”

“I get it. Wasn’t me, either.”

“Yeah, but look at you. You’ve been a champion… you’ve made it big.”

“Yep. And it’s thanks to Jeremy. Without him, I’d be just like you. A piece of shit quitter. But when I saw the opportunity… I didn’t walk away from it like you’re doin’. I embraced my role. As The Protector.”

“What the fuck are on about?”

“For every Prodigy… there has to be a Protector.”

“You ain’t makin’ no sense, dude…”

“That girl back there… the one you came here with… you care about her?”

“She’s my friend, yeah.”

“You just gonna leave her back there?”

“She made her choice.”

Bryan remained quiet, allowing for the awkward pause as he continued to drive down the road. Seth looked out the window watching the countryside whip by his window. Bryan’s words continued to seep in his mind. “She made her choice,” he repeated, but this time with less conviction.

Bryan nodded, glancing at Seth with a knowing look. “Yeah, she did. Because she wants it more than you do. I saw each of the recruits when they got here… I watched you all walk in one by one. But only one of them gave me that same feeling when I first saw Jeremy. And I immediately knew… I knew she was the one. She’s going to be the next Prodigy.”

“So… good for her then.”

“Yeah, she’s got somethin’ special for sure. But she can’t do it alone. There’s more to this little program Jeremy has set up than becoming the next Prodigy. It’s about finding your place… your purpose… each of us… each of us has found our purpose because of Jeremy. What’s your purpose, Seth?”

Seth peered out the window. Could he really just abandon his only friend? The only person who has had his back over the last couple years? The person who gave him a place to stay when he had nowhere else to go?

“I dunno, man…” he remained reluctant.

Bryan pulled up to a stop sign, coming to a complete stop. “The job of the Protector is not easy. It takes someone strong… and not just physically. You have to sometimes be willing to do things that others aren’t willing or able to do. But you do it for them because you owe it to them. I have a feeling that you may owe her a thing or two, do you not?”

As Bryan took a right turn at the stop sign, the wheels were turning inside Seth’s head. He had never felt like he had a purpose before. He never really even felt like he mattered. He never thought he could be important or needed. He always thought he was the one relying on others.

Could he really be helpful?

Because he did owe it to her.

Could he become… her Protector?

Bryan brought the truck to a complete stop, snapping Seth back to reality. “What’s goin’ on? Why’d we stop?”

Bryan motioned his head back toward the window, drawing Seth’s attention outside.

They were back in the parking lot of the Friendship Wrestling Academy.

Bryan had done a full circle back.

“You’ve got somethin’ in you, kid. Somethin’ special. She’s gonna need you. Trust me, I know. Don’t run away… embrace it.”

Seth looked out the window back to the doors of the facility. It no longer appeared to him as a prison like it had before. He saw the academy for what it really was.

A new start.

A chance to become something.

The ability to have a purpose.

To become the Protector.

“Okay,” he said silently as he began to pull on the handle of the door, “I’ll go back. But not for the friendship bullshit… I’m going back for her.”

Bryan half-heartedly chuckled, “sounds familiar. Go ahead, get back in there. You don’t wanna miss room assignments.”

Seth opened the door, stepping back out of the truck and into the gravel parking lot once again. His once defiant footsteps had been replaced with those of determination as he disappeared back through the doors of the academy.

Bryan stepped out of the truck, walking to the back where he lowered the tailgate. He hopped up onto the bed of the truck, taking a seat as he lit up another cigarette.

He looked toward the back of the facility toward a corner window. The curtain drew back and he saw the friendly face of Jeremy Best. Jeremy offered a friendly wave to Bryan, who simply tossed up an acknowledging arm.

The Friendship Wrestling Academy was going to work wonders on these kids.

Bryan would know.

After all, he was the first one to go through…

The Program.

{An Excerpt from The Friendship Texts}

From the Chapter “Roles of Friendship”

-The Protector-

And lo, in the sacred journey of the Prodigy, there shall arise a figure of paramount importance, known as The Protector.

For it is written, not every soul shall be called to the path of the Prodigy, but every soul shall find their purpose in the grand design of Friendship.

One such role is that of The Protector. It is he who shall stand by the Prodigy with unwavering loyalty and steadfast courage..

In times of strife, he shall be the sword and shield, his strength against all foes that may challenge Friendship.

The Protector shall perform deeds the Prodigy cannot, nor should not, undertake. For the Prodigy is the symbol of Friendship, and his purity must remain unsullied.

He shall walk the darker paths if the journey demands it. He shall face the shadows and wrestle with the forces that seek to harm the Prodigy. Oh the burnends that the Protector will weigh so that the Prodigy may soar.

And alas… Let it be known that the Protector’s loyalty shall be tested, and his dedication shall be proven in the crucible of trials. And through his trials, the Protector shall grow in honor and virtue, his deeds becoming the testament of true friendship.s.

And so it shall be, that in the Fellowship of Friendship, the Protector shall find his noble purpose, and in fulfilling his duty, he shall find his own path to greatness.

For the Prodigy and the Protector are bound by destiny, and together, they shall forge a legacy of enduring friendship.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Jackson Fenix and Nate Savage in...
Couples Therapy

“I can’t believe I let you talk me into doing this.”

I couldn’t believe it either, to be honest.

Oh yeah, hey. Jackson Fenix here, and I’ll be the narrator for this thing. I guess this is like a promo or something, whatever. Anyway, I think I’ll be your host for this thing. Before we get this show on the road, there’s something I’ve always wanted to do.

Yeah, that’s me. I bet you’re wondering how I got to be in the office of my therapist girlfriend, along with my best friend by my side. Well, it’s an interesting story, so allow me to take you back to a few weeks ago when we were in Toronto for Meltdown.

*Flashback*

Thursday 13th June, 2024
Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It all began when Nate and I were standing outside the locker room that we were sharing with Xperienx Xtacee. Xtacee had just gone through a tough match with Michelle von Horrowitz and came up short against her. Michelle wasn’t ready to leave, though, and put her boot on Xtacee’s hand. She refused to leave, and eventually, we got in the ring, and that’s when Nate shoved her away.

Later, we found out that Michelle had requested a match against us with Trevor Ocean as her tag team partner. Ocean had a history with us when he teamed up with that creep Noah Stocke as The Division.

“Can you believe the nerve of her?! Putting her foot down on his hand after she had already won the match!”

Nate is usually mad, but I can’t remember the last time he was this mad about something.

“Just because she’s being screwed by that scumbag Summers, she thinks she can push anyone else around and get away with it?! Well, we’ll show her that she can’t get away with pulling a stunt like that!”

I put my hand on his shoulder to try to get him to calm down, but he brushes me away.

“Bro, you gotta chill. I get it, I’m annoyed, too, but you can’t be acting like that.”

Nate didn’t like hearing this from me one bit.

“Jack, in case you forgot, I was defending our tag team partner, our friend!”

“No, I get that. It’s totally understandable, but you gotta watch your temper sometimes, ya know?”

“Watch my temper?”

“Yeah, bro, sometimes you tend to lose it a bit. I don’t know; it’s probably not good for your blood pressure.”

He pointed a finger in my face, and it almost felt like he wanted to ball his hand into a fist and level me with it.

“You know what? Since that trip to that zoo in Chicago, there’s been something off between us. I thought we worked that out, but then we lost to FTN, so maybe we didn’t fix whatever this is.”

“What are you talking about, dude?”

“You know precisely what I’m talking about, Jack. Even before that trip to the zoo, it’s been ever since you lost the CC. You won’t admit it, but you’re still not over it, and now you’re taking it out on me.”

“What? No way, dude!”

“Don’t play dumb, Jack. Admit that there’s something off between us.”

Perhaps he was right; there was something off between us. I thought it was fixed, but apparently, it is not.

“I guess you’re right, I’m sorry man. I know a way we can fix it, though.”

“No.”

“What? You don’t even know what it is yet!”

“I already know it’s a bad idea.”

“Come on, man, don’t be like that. This thing between us, whatever it is, needs to stop, and you’re not helping right now.”

It appears I made a good point, as it looks like he thought it over and gives me a reluctant nod.

“Fine, what is this plan?”

*Present day*

I think we’re all caught up now. Yeah, that’s it. If you haven’t guessed by now, my plan was for Nate and me to do couples therapy. I know we’re not a romantic couple, but I figured that this would work for us, given how long we’ve known each other. Plus, I was determined to fix whatever was going on between us.

“I can’t believe I was able to talk you into it.”

See? I told you I couldn’t believe it.

“Well, whatever we can do to fix this between us, I suppose I’m willing to go through with anything.”

A few minutes and soon we’re joined by the lovely Hazel Knight. Just look at her, folks! Isn’t she gorgeous? Oh, right, I digress. I think I used that term correctly; I’ve been beefing up my vocabulary.

Anyway, we’re here in Hazel’s office for couples therapy. Look at me in my Britney Spears t-shirt and Nate in his Undisputed Xperienx t-shirt while Hazel is looking all sorts of hot in her outfit. Oh, right, I’m getting off track again.

“Jackson, Nate, you’ve requested this time today to have couples therapy. Now, this is usually only done for married couples or people that are dating, but I think we can make this work.”

“I hope so. Anything to help us in our match with Michelle von Horrowitz and Trevor Ocean?”

“Oh, now you’re serious about a match!”

I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard Nate say that. Look at me; look how shocked I am. Well, I guess you can’t look, and you can only read this, but believe me, I am in shock.

“What? I take every match seriously.”

“Only the matches where it’s just you. If it’s a tag team match with you and I, or with Xtacee, then you’re making jokes and not taking anything serious.”

“That doesn’t sound like me.”

I must admit that he’s not wrong about that, but I’m working on it now.

“What about you, Nate? Your temper? You nearly lost that match with Halloween Knight when you started to lose your cool.”

“That’s because that bozo on the outside, Juan, was trying to tell the referee how to count. I didn’t lose though, did I? As a matter of fact, I do seem to recall you starting to lose your cool on the outside and having to be held back by Xtacee.”

“Yeah, well, I didn’t want you to be concerned with Juan. I was going to take care of it.”

We stopped talking after Hazel cleared her throat, and we both looked over at her.

“Okay, this is good, but what I think would be even better would be an exercise I like to do with couples. I’m going to give each of you a few sheets of paper along with a marker, and I’m going to ask both of you the same question. I want you to write down that answer on the sheet of paper.”

“Oh, this is like that newlywed game show where they have the couples write stuff about each other, but we’re in the same room.”

“Exactly like that, Jackson.”

Heh, me binge watching Game Show Network coming in clutch!

“Okay, first question: what is your biggest pet peeve about your partner? Something that bothers you about them.”

Nate was quick to write down his answer, what the heck is up with that?

“Jackson, please don’t peek at Nate’s answer.”

“I wasn’t, I was stretching.”

That was a lie; I was trying to look at his answer.

“What would you change about your partner?”

Well, that’s easy.

“Is there anything you’d do for your partner that you wouldn’t do for anyone else?”

Another easy one, but why is Nate thinking about it?

“Okay, let’s answer for question one, what is your biggest pet peeve about your partner?”

Nate’s answer was that I didn’t take anything seriously unless it was about me. My answer was his temper.

“Let’s talk about Nate’s answer; how much does it bother you that Jackson doesn’t take anything seriously?”

“It bothers me greatly. I’m always there for him and support him, but when it’s us as a team, then it feels like it means less to him.”

“That’s not true. I care about us as a team.”

“Oh, is that right?”

“Yeah, man, we’ve been teaming together almost 10 years, I think, I don’t know. We haven’t split up at all. People have tried to drive a wedge between us, but we’ve always stuck together. That means something to me.”

Nate looks like he’s contemplating the next thing he wants to say. I must’ve made a good point, or at least I hope I did.

“Okay, well, what about your answer? My temper? Come on, it’s not that bad!”

“You’re getting heated right now.”

“No, I’m not! You’d know it if I was!”

Nate quickly realizes he is getting annoyed and calms himself down.

“Okay, maybe it is worse than I thought, but I can’t help it if I’m emotional about this team. I care about us as a team and want us to succeed. When we don’t succeed, I get upset.”

Fair enough.

“What would you change about your partner?”

“I get too hung up on certain things. What does that mean?”

“You still haven’t gotten over losing the Carnal Contendership. You let it cloud your thoughts, and you lose focus on current affairs. You need to learn to let it go; I know it’s hard, but you have to move on, Jack. You’ll have plenty more opportunities down the road, but now it’s time to focus on us.”

He wasn’t wrong about that. I do need to learn to let that go.

“What’s with your answer, I eat too much? Come on, man! It’s bad enough I hear weight jokes from morons like Chris Peacock, Alyster Black, or anyone else that isn’t original enough to come up with new material, but coming from you, that hurts. Yeah, I like to eat, so what? There’s a lot worse I could be doing to my body.”

He wasn’t wrong about that, either. I couldn’t think of anything else for an answer to that.

“I mean, I could say I get sick of having to listen to Britney Spears on road trips and believe me, I do, but I don’t say anything because I know how much it means to you. Just like how much this tag team means to me. I would do anything for you and this team.”

“It means a lot to me too, and I would do the same as well.”

“I suppose that’s a good transition to the final question. Is there anything you’d do for your partner that you wouldn’t do for anyone else?”

“I already said I listen to enough of his music to drive a sane person insane, but I put up with a lot for Jackson. There’s not a lot I wouldn’t do for him, and there are some lines I won’t cross, and he knows, but I’ll always be there for him. Hell, I’d take a bullet for him. There’s not a lot of people I’d do that for. Besides my wife and my kids, Jackson is up there.”

Wow, I couldn’t believe that. I never knew how much this meant to Nate.

“I’d do just about anything for you too, bro. I know I haven’t been in the right headspace recently, but I’m working on it, trust me. I’ll get through it just like we’ll get through this rough patch we’re in right now. I think we’ve been through worse, and we’re still kicking.”

“Heh, yeah, I suppose you’re right about that. There was a point in FWA where for the better part of a year, at least it seemed like a year, that we faced The Division. Trevor Ocean isn’t new to us, we know what he’s about, but it’s also a different Trevor Ocean in a sense that he doesn’t have that weirdo Noah Stocke in his ear.”

“We had our run-ins with Michelle in the past, too, and much like with Ocean, she’s always had our number.”

“Everytime we faced The Division it always ended the same. This isn’t The Division, and this isn’t The Connection. This is a different Trevor Ocean and a different Michelle von Horrowitz. Michelle is too concerned with that creep Summers and Ocean seems to be caught in the middle of it all while being unable to escape his past. They may have tag team experience but they’re not a well oiled machine like us.”

“It’s about time we show the world, as well as MvH and Trevor Ocean, what The Undisputed Alliance is all about.”