Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua Talks Wanderlei Silva Loss, Challenge From Tito Ortiz

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
1811i_large_large.jpg
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua spoke with Tatame yesterday about his friend Wanderlei Silva's loss to Chris Leben at UFC 132, and also responded to Tito Ortiz. Silva was knocked out in 27 seconds by Leben, which obviously bothered his training partner at Kings MMA. Here's what he had to say in regards to Silva:

"I haven’t seen Wanderlei, I’m in San Diego and he’s in Las Vegas, but I was sad about the defeat", said Shogun, on a chat with TATAME. "It’s really sad to see Wanderlei getting knocked out like that, but what can we do, it happens with who is up there".

"Wanderlei was doing fine, motivated, thrilled, he wanted to fight really badly… We trained together before the fight and he was glad."

Dana White hinted that Wanderlei should hang em' up after his loss to Leben. Shogun believe that it's up to the man himself to decide when to retire:

"It must come from the athlete himself… I hope to see how long my body can last. It’s a good thing for the moment where’s in now and the fans are really being supportive and make a living in this sport is tough, so you have to know better. Each one thinks in a different way, and it’s a personal call".

And here's what he had to say in reference to Tito Ortiz challenging the winner of Shogun's bout with Forrest Griffin at UFC 134:

"I’m used to challenges", commented Shogun, complimenting the former champion. "Tito came back with everything he’s got, he deserves to be respected, he’s been there for a long time. It’s a good bout, but I’m focused on Forrest and that’s all I’m thinking about now".

Shogun and Griffin will step into the cage in the co-main event at UFC 134 on August 27th in Brazil.