Matt Hamill announces retirement

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
After 13 fights inside the octagon, Matt Hamill has decided to retire from MMA.

The UFC light heavyweight today made the announcement on his personal website.

Hamill (10-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) suffered a second-round TKO loss to Alexander Gustaffson this past Saturday at UFC 133, which was his second consecutive setback following a decision defeat to Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 130.

"To be honest with you, after 'Rampage,' he was done," Hamill's trainer and manager, Duff Holmes, today told MMAjunkie. "He told me, 'I just can't stand the constant pain.'"

The born-deaf fighter suffered several injuries throughout the course of his career in the UFC, including a pinched nerve in his neck that ailed him prior to the Jackson fight. He also re-injured his shoulder, which was separated in his December 2009 fight with now-champ Jon Jones.

"I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130, but my friends, family, coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance," Hamill wrote in his announcement. "My career has been plagued by injuries starting with 'The Ultimate Fighter' and disrupted my training ever since.

"There hasn't been even one training camp where I've been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body, and it has nothing left after 28 years of nonstop competition. It's time to finally give it a rest."

I always thought the guy was a pretty decent fighter, especially overcoming being deaf and still being able to make it in the UFC. I'll miss him.