Match Of The Week: 02/03/2012

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
[video=youtube;gini9P-dsH8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gini9P-dsH8&feature=related[/video]

WWF WrestleMania 13 - Submission Match: Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin (Special Referee: Ken Shamrock)

That match is intense. By itself, you probably think that it’s a great match and you would be right in thinking so. There would be nothing wrong with just leaving it at that. But then I think this match goes a little deeper than being just a great match. I can’t think of one single match (not even Hogan-Andre) that had more impact on the world of wrestling than this one. This match was a changing of the guard if I ever saw one and Austin didn’t even beat Bret, which proves how little wins and losses matter in wrestling when its booked correctly. When you were watching Austin fighting the chance to give up when he clearly could have, you weren’t watching Bret anymore or even paying him any attention. Like you might have six months earlier, you didn’t want to see Bret make Austin submit anymore. You wanted to see Austin prevail by escaping this hold and winning this match. Think of how many matches over the years people had cheered Bret Hart to overcome odds and how many matches over the years people had booed Steve Austin to get his tail beaten by someone. In just a short time, Bret goes from the classic hero to being the complete opposite in many people’s eyes and vice versa. Just history-making booking that comes sometimes only once in a generation. *****

After the match, Bret takes a couple more kicks at Austin’s knee and Ken Shamrock has to interject himself and throws Bret away to trigger a stand off. The crowd goes insane. Bret punks out and walks away before anything else can happen. An actual ref comes down to help Austin and takes a STONE COLD STUNNER for his troubles. That’ll teach you to do your job. A bloody Stone Cold Steve Austin limps back to the locker room on his own power with the entire building chanting his name.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Hell of a fight, I just watched it again recently. The only thing I even dislike about the match is Shamrock and you'd think his presence would actually help the atmosphere of the match. In the end he's just an afterthought and if I don't watch the match for several months I forget he is even apart of this. Still doesn't take it away from being a total classic. I'm always teetering on giving it the full *****.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
It's been a while so I don't even remember the purpose of how Shamrock even got to be the ref of that match and don't think it needed it for whatever reason it may have been to have him ref it. That aside one of the best matches I've ever seen and still never seen a better way to turn someone face and heel in the same match (and feud period) without even trying that hard than we saw here.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
seeing how i watch the whole of 97' 2 weeks ago, i remember the only reason why they made shamrock the ref. It was because on every raw things would get out of hand. Bret would attack Austin before, during and after matches and Austin would do the same. Shamrock was fresh off his UFC stuff and just debuted and vince wanted someone who could control these two it things got out of control.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Ahh right figured it was something of that nature just couldn't remember how he instantly popped up to be the guy for it. Don't personally think he added anything to the match but he didn't thankfully hurt it any either so worked out in the end. I've only seen a few people who feel this way but I like their SS match as much as I liked their mania one.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I'm with you i loved the SS match mainly cause it was the first time and I'M A BIG MARK FOR TECHNICAL WRESTLING.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
This is like my third favourite WrestleMania match. Ive seen it at least 20 times, I know every second of it.

Nice review.

Deuce

Reaction score
I love this match, it had great flow throughout the match, one of my favorite Wrestlemania matches. Thanks for posting this, great review.